Sign in to follow this  
TSgtT

Where to start

I've been away from flight sims for a while now. I wanted to get back into playing SFP/WoE again. I am particularly interested in WWI/WWII installs.

Over the years I had downloaded many of the great mods/aircraft that were available. I had a HD crash where I basically lost everything.

I very much want to try the multiple install and do the tweaks that would allow me to fly WWI/WWII aircraft. I've searched through forums, but I'm pretty lost.

Is there a post that someone can refer me to that could help get me started? Basically what all do I need to mod in order to set up an install to fly WWI/WWII planes.

What .ini edits would I need to do in order to get rid of the radar on the upper right and the labels that are displayed in the game.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but would really appreciate any help.

OK, let's say you have WOE installed in c\Thirdwire\Wings Over Europe and want to create a WW2 European theatre install:-

1) Navigate to the Thirdwire folder, right click on the Wings Over Europe folder and 'copy', then move your mouse to a free space in the Thirdwire folder, right click and 'paste'

2) Next rename your new Wings Over Europe folder to something like Wings Over Europe WW2ETO, go into the folder and send the WOE.exe to the desktop as a shortcut to that install, and rename the shortcut accordingly so you don't get mixed up on your desktop. You could also change the icon to something more appropriate too.

3) Now the fun bit. In your new Wings Over Europe WW2ETO folder you'll need to go into the objects\aircraft and objects\ground objects folders and delete all the modern stuff and doenload and install the WW2 planes, tanks, ships etc you want, together with the appropriate skins, pilots etc.

4) A WW2 weapons pack should round things off nicely.

5) You can make as many installs as you like, for WW2 Pacific or Med. action, or any other theatre or era that we have mods available for.

For a WW1 install it's even simpler - buy First Eagles!

Edited by allenjb42

Just like allen says.

Here is the link to Wrench's excellent guide on how to create an era-specific install, geared to creating multiple installs for each of the WW2 theatres (ETO, PTO, MTO CBI):

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/19630-how-to-create-a-seperate-era-specific-install/

For a couple of WW2 campaign packs, with further instructions on installation and set up, see these:-

Battle of Britain (good for creating a base ETO install)

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5246

Battle of Midway (likewise for PTO)

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8420

There are a good few others here at CA, check the "what's available" sticky at the top of this subforum.

You will want to sign up for membership at the DAT skunkworks, a lot of WW2 plane mods are hosted there.

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

See the forum rules for the registration process. It may take a few days, hang in there.

Wrench's toolbox is invaluable:-

http://wrench1smog.com/index.html

Geo has some great WW2 groundobject packs, and exclusive planes:-

http://geos-aircraft.com/SFmain0.htm

That should keep you plenty busy meantime. Any questions, fire away.

Tally-ho!

Baltika

What .ini edits would I need to do in order to get rid of the radar on the upper right and the labels that are displayed in the game.

Use the game interface to set HUD to "hard"

default ALT+D in game will cycle through various levels of on-screen clutter (or info!)

even better than using the Alt/D switch, is simply edit the HUDData.ini.

Extract from flightdata.cat, leave in /Flight folder and edit as follows:

(just ingore the DisplayDebug=TRUE, that only used for terrrain targting)

[Debug]

DisplayDebug=FALSE

//DisplayDebug=TRUE

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=12

[infoDisplay]

//BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985

BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.125

Height=0.16666667

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

try those edits, and see how they work. Be advised, that if you're EVER use one of the radar-equipped nightfighers, you will have NO display in the cockpit, so it's vitaly important that the radar display is left intact. As we don't have any pits with scopes (since most were handled by the GIB anyway...)

HARD flight model is NOT reccomended, as there are no WW2 aircraft taht I'm aware of that make use of it. All DAT birds are optimized for NORMAL, and using hard will cause 'issues'

Most, if not all info needed on setting up is the the SF (1st Gen) Knowledge Base.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks everyone, I look forward to playing some WWII scenarios. I got First Eagles and I like that a lot.

Appreciate all of the help!!

T.

HARD flight model is NOT reccomended, as there are no WW2 aircraft taht I'm aware of that make use of it. All DAT birds are optimized for NORMAL, and using hard will cause 'issues'

wrench

kevin stein

All the AvHistory stuff is designed for Hard grin.gif

I stand corrected, thanks Greg!!

one can assume they work as well for us cowards that fly on normal??? (I like my "here's the enemy pointer" :rofl: )

wrench

kevin stein

Can Baltika's reply be added to the KB and\or as a sticky to the propheads forum? With the link to Wrench's how to set up a seperate install and the main WW2 links it's that good.

I know this may be a dumb question, but can I do a modified install of First Eagles to add my WWII aircraft and objects? Would that be easier or is there something that would prevent me from doing that?

Thanks,

T.

I know this may be a dumb question, but can I do a modified install of First Eagles to add my WWII aircraft and objects? Would that be easier or is there something that would prevent me from doing that?

Thanks,

T.

I tried the very same thing when First Eagles came out.

First and foremost, FE is based on a build of the game engine later than 2006. So, the FM problems Wrench referred to will appear for most of the WW2 birds available.

I also got serious clipping issues with the WW2 cockpits, although that was resolved after some digging.

The WW2 weapons will not show up as stock in FE, so you would need to incorporate Wrench's WW2 wep pack and keep all your WW1 weps in place.

FE handles the terrain slightly differently than the other WoX titles, for slower planes with a shorter view distance, but higher definition in ground detail, so you may get issues with the WW2 terrains.

Read this thread for more info:-

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/25752-ww2-planes-for-first-eagles/

I'm sure Wrench will say, "It's just far easier to make a dedicated WW2 install!!"

And I would have to agree :grin:

Edited by Baltika

to quote the Trolly Boy from 'Hot Fuzz', "Yarrp" :yes:

it should alse be mentioned, that the 06 patch level is as high as you want to go, due to 350+ aircraft needed completly new flight models (and there are some even at 06 levels that are "iffy")

wrench

kevin stein