Sign in to follow this  
MacBradley

Getting Harrier Weapons to Work with Dec 09 patch

Alright, so I bought the combo pack that went up for a while in December. It already has the Dec. 09 updates, so rolling back isn't an option. Here's my problem:

I have installed the two AV-8B Harrier and the GR.7 Harrier from the SF2 downloads section from here at Combat Ace. On the Harrier's, a lot of weapons (usually GBU, Mavericks, and other laser guided weapons, as well as AIM-120's). The gun pods don't work on the GR.7, but they work fine on the AV-8B's. All of the AIM-9's seem to work fine, as well as all free fall bombs and rockets. The radar will show my target on the display, but when firing the suspect weapons the won't leave the pylons.

Am I missing something obvious, like a lock on these weapons? If not, could anyone help me out? I'm not too familiar with SF2 since I just got it, but I've done plenty of modding to other games, so I should pick up on advice/directions pretty quick.

Thanks!

Yes, you need to designate a target for both Optically (A2G) and radar-guided (A2A) weapons.

This is rather easy to accomplish for ground targets, just hit the "E" key to select and cycle through targets.

Use of radar for designating A2A targets, especially BVR, is rather more involved, requiring one to cycle through radar and range modes, ID and designate a target, and maintain lock through at least the initial part of the missile's flight (AIM-54 and AIM-120), or to provide continuous guidance (AIM-7). Though this tutorial ( http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2343 ), covers the F-4 and F-15, the basics are essentially the same for all radar-equipped AC in the series.

Edited by Fubar512

Yes, you need to designate a target for both Optically (A2G) and radar-guided (A2A) weapons.

This is rather easy to accomplish for ground targets, just hit the "E" key to select and cycle through targets.

Use of radar for designating A2A targets, especially BVR, is rather more involved, requiring one to cycle through radar and range modes, ID and designate a target, and maintain lock through at least the initial part of the missile's flight (AIM-54 and AIM-120), or to provide continuous guidance (AIM-7). Though this tutorial ( http://bbs.thirdwire....php?f=5&t=2343 ), covers the F-4 and F-15, the basics are essentially the same for all radar-equipped AC in the series.

I already know how to use the radar on other aircraft. I've used radar giuded missiles and laser guided ones. They just won't work on these Harriers. The GR.7 also has issues with the gunpods not firing.

I already know how to use the radar on other aircraft. I've used radar giuded missiles and laser guided ones. They just won't work on these Harriers. The GR.7 also has issues with the gunpods not firing.

Does the model you downloaded even have an A2A mode for it's radar? Does it have a laser designator? The issue with the GPs is probably due to missing gundata entries. You need to add that specific gun to the game. Check Killerbee's tut in the knowledge base.

Does the model you downloaded even have an A2A mode for it's radar? Does it have a laser designator? The issue with the GPs is probably due to missing gundata entries. You need to add that specific gun to the game. Check Killerbee's tut in the knowledge base.

Turns out my controls were mapped differently for the .exe I was using to test than the one I usually fly on, causing me to wonder why I couldn't visually aquire targets or lock them on radar. Oops.

I still do have the gun pod issue however.

The gunpos doesnt fire. It is just there for weight. Seriously.

The gunpos doesnt fire. It is just there for weight. Seriously.

Wrong! They act as Lifting Devices. Has nothing to do with Weight.

McBradley,

Check to see if You have the Gun Data in Your "Guns" Folder. I think BobRock set up the Gr.7 to have two 30mm Adens. The U.S. AV-8B has a single 25mm Gun. If the "Adens" are there, then check in the Gr.7_Data.ini in the Gun Section and see if the Number of Rounds is entered and the Ammo Weight is entered.

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

McBradley,

Check to see if You have the Gun Data in Your "Guns" Folder. I think BobRock set up the Gr.7 to have two 30mm Adens. The U.S. AV-8B has a single 25mm Gun. If the "Adens" are there, then check in the Gr.7_Data.ini in the Gun Section and see if the Number of Rounds is entered and the Ammo Weight is entered.

331KillerBee

Will check next time I get the chance. Thanks for the help everyone!

Gunpods on the GR7 are not functional, as on the real one btw. As Killerbee said they're in place only as Lift Improvement Devices. I also read that they could be used to carry some sort of electronic equipment, but this is just a speculation. If you want you can make them fire editing the plane's data ini.

As for the AA weapons, the GR7 only mounts AIM-9s for self-defense reasons and cannot use semi-active or active radar homing missiles.

Oh that's right. I thought it wasn't correct but I couldn't be sure. good.gif