Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Unknown WWI soldier buried in France

Very sobering. Using Napoleoic tactics in the face of machine guns, and rapid fire artillery was just insane with the benefit of hindsight. But they used the tactics that were in vogue for 100 years.

I know it's not in every man's budget to go to France on vacation, but if you can, and can convince the local cash distribution officer (wife), I highly recommend going there to see these places. It's a life changing vacation, somewhat depressing, but also very enlightening. I simply cannot describe what it feels like.

Of all the places I have been, the countryside military cemeteries of France were the finest.

In respect to the dead...

<S!>

OvS

Very sobering. Using Napoleoic tactics in the face of machine guns, and rapid fire artillery was just insane with the benefit of hindsight. But they used the tactics that were in vogue for 100 years.

I won't say that pure Napoleonic tactics were used, but it's sure that only in the end of the war tactics were improved and were adapted to the new reality of the war.

There was a learning period. Unfortunately that was heavily paid with blood. That's why the expression "Lions led by Donkeys".

Have been in Normandy, in some bunker - a very intensive feeling;

as if time suddenly dissolves. You almost see, what happened, and

you believe to hear a faint sound of hammering machine guns.

I will go to some sites, where there had been German airfields.

Toulis (Jasta 12) is on the list, as it is almost unchanged.

Compare the aerial photo from back then with a Goggle map from today.

The village hasn't even grown; the roads are the same.