Sign in to follow this  
12oclockhigh

Win 7 and Off

If it wasn't too much to ask, could you do the same to your older rig?

I'm not sure if I'll able to examine both tonight, but tomorrow I'll do it.

You see I think your problem is CPU related. I'm no expert but I'm used to do some troubleshooting due my profession.

Hi Von Paulus,

here is .txt file for older computer.

Hi Von Paulus,

here is .txt file for older computer.

FAMILY-9B20069F.txt

I think your core speed is too low at 802.7Mhz. The multiplier is 4x200 which is not the right value.

Look at the result of an equal CPU: http://www.legitrevi.../article/980/1/

You should be running at 3200Mhz; the multiplier should be 16 and not 4.

Like I've told you I'm not an expert, but this can happen for three reasons:

First your motherboard is not recognizing correctly the CPU. Maybe a motherboard BIOS version older than the CPU. Usually a BIOS update solve this things. Check last BIOS version in ASUS site and if your is older please consider to update it.

Secondly your motherboard might be badly configured for the CPU you have. I'll try to look tomorrow at the your motherboard manual and try to look for BIOS configurations that might induce the wrong value.

Thirdly, the Green Functions of your motherboard. I'm much more experienced with Intel than AMD, but I bet that BIOS has some green functions for controlling the CPU speed. The green when activated will slow the multiplier in order to not consume much energy. We know that sometimes some applications (games too) simply don't like these green functions activated; the result is that the multiplier is not "pushed" to the correct value. This only happens sometimes, and is dependent of BIOS, chipset version and software combination. I believe this is a technology that is still in development, so it's still not full proof. If that's the case you've to disable all Green CPU functions in BIOS.

I bet we we'll see a different core speed in your older CPU.

EDIT: Stupid of me! I didn't read the full article at the link I provided.

Now I'm almost sure that I know what the problem is; you have enabled AMD Cool'n'Quiet.

Your problem is what I referred in the third reason. Green functions.

http://www.amd.com/u...ol-n-quiet.aspx

I am looking at this with interest. I do not know much about this sort of thing but will check the bios settings on the newer computer and will let you know. Thanks very much for your help.

I think your core speed is too low at 802.7Mhz. The multiplier is 4x200 which is not the right value.

Look at the result of an equal CPU: http://www.legitrevi.../article/980/1/

You should be running at 3200Mhz; the multiplier should be 16 and not 4.

Like I've told you I'm not an expert, but this can happen for three reasons:

First your motherboard is not recognizing correctly the CPU. Maybe a motherboard BIOS version older than the CPU. Usually a BIOS update solve this things. Check last BIOS version in ASUS site and if your is older please consider to update it.

Secondly your motherboard might be badly configured for the CPU you have. I'll try to look tomorrow at the your motherboard manual and try to look for BIOS configurations that might induce the wrong value.

Thirdly, the Green Functions of your motherboard. I'm much more experienced with Intel than AMD, but I bet that BIOS has some green functions for controlling the CPU speed. The green when activated will slow the multiplier in order to not consume much energy. We know that sometimes some applications (games too) simply don't like these green functions activated; the result is that the multiplier is not "pushed" to the correct value. This only happens sometimes, and is dependent of BIOS, chipset version and software combination. I believe this is a technology that is still in development, so it's still not full proof. If that's the case you've to disable all Green CPU functions in BIOS.

I bet we we'll see a different core speed in your older CPU.

EDIT: Stupid of me! I didn't read the full article at the link I provided.

Now I'm almost sure that I know what the problem is; you have enabled AMD Cool'n'Quiet.

Your problem is what I referred in the third reason. Green functions.

http://www.amd.com/u...ol-n-quiet.aspx

This looked very promising but 'Cool and Quiet' is disabled in my bios.

12 OC,

Just for the heck of it, and only if interested, download the trial version of Process Lasso HERE and see if it helps.

It has a 'game mode' which is performance related (duh!) and will override any hidden "green" settings, as well as let you push all background processes to core 2 (cpu 3 & 4), letting you run sim.exe on cpu 1 and TIR on cpu2 if you have it. You decide where things run. The alternative is to have to set these affinities manually on each reboot AFAIK.

When the trial ends your settings are still good and you use it indefinately, but there is a brief nag screen.

If you've disabled AMD Cool and Quiet, then some other Green function is working. Otherwise you would have the same results as the first CPU-Z image.

The values you're having are the same as the second CPU-Z image, that indicates of a presence of a Green function.

You can always try what Bandy is suggesting. But Bandy, are you sure that it disable all green functions?

Look at a similar problem in ASUS forum. You might consider also that might be a problem with your motherboard.

Is your motherboard ASUS M4A79T Deluxe? What is your BIOS version? There are a lot of fixes since original BIOS.

If the game is running with the core at that speed, no wonder that you've low fps. Why it seems not to happen with other games/applications? Maybe it is depended on application.

The first thing I've done with my rig when I assembled it, was to disable all Green functions. I knew from other forums that this kind of problems happens.

Do you have also installed in your Windows AMD Cool&Quiet Utility (it's not only in the BIOS)?

Do you have AMD overdrive installed?, AI Suite?, TurboV?, EPU-4 engine? All these Utilities come with Asus CD, I think.

If you've disabled AMD Cool and Quiet, then some other Green function is working. Otherwise you would have the same results as the first CPU-Z image.

The values you're having are the same as the second CPU-Z image, that indicates of a presence of a Green function.

You can always try what Bandy is suggesting. But Bandy, are you sure that it disable all green functions?

Look at a similar problem in ASUS forum. You might consider also that might be a problem with your motherboard.

Is your motherboard ASUS M4A79T Deluxe? What is your BIOS version? There are a lot of fixes since original BIOS.

If the game is running with the core at that speed, no wonder that you've low fps. Why it seems not to happen with other games/applications? Maybe it is depended on application.

The first thing I've done with my rig when I assembled it, was to disable all Green functions. I knew from other forums that this kind of problems happens.

Do you have also installed in your Windows AMD Cool&Quiet Utility (it's not only in the BIOS)?

Do you have AMD overdrive installed?, AI Suite?, TurboV?, EPU-4 engine? All these Utilities come with Asus CD, I think.

Motherboard is m4a79t. Bios verson is 0902 but has seemed fine so I haven't worried about it. I don't know about a 'Windows Cpool 'n Quiet'. I looked through bios settings and can't see any obvious 'green' stuff. AI Tweaker settings are all at 'auto'. I've never changed these.I'll check. I have AMD Overdrive but have only looked at it and never changed any settings. It shows core speed at 800mhz too. I don't have Asus AI Suite installed. If so that would explain different core speeds when gaming and at idle. This is new territory for me so I am moving slow. Maybe I should install that utility and see if it overrides any hidden settings I am missing?

You should flash your BIOS with the newest version. Your BIOS version is too old and there are a lot of fixes. 16 BIOS updates since your version. That's a lot.

But remember a bad flash and bye bye motherboard. It's your call.

There are two M4A79T boards at Asus site. The Deluxe and Deluxe/U3S6. BIOS might be different.

Sure go slow. I'm afraid that this is really more technical.

As for the Processor Lasso sure you can try, at least it won't damage anything.

EDIT: Besides there 4 different 955 CPU types. And most require a different BIOS version than you have. I don't know which AMD you have.

Edited by Von Paulus

You should flash your BIOS with the newest version. Your BIOS version is too old and there are a lot of fixes. 16 BIOS updates since your version. That's a lot.

But remember a bad flash and bye bye motherboard. It's your call.

There are two M4A79T boards at Asus site. The Deluxe and Deluxe/U3S6. BIOS might be different.

Sure go slow. I'm afraid that this is really more technical.

As for the Processor Lasso sure you can try, at least it won't damage anything.

EDIT: Besides there 4 different 955 CPU types. And most require a different BIOS version than you have. I don't know which AMD you have.

I'm wondering about that. When I built this system in June of '09 I had Vista as an OS. Then in October or November I upgraded to Win7. We went on holidays in December so I didn't do much gaming. I wonder if the core speed was changed by the upgrade and I'm just getting around to noticing now. The Asus utilities that are on the mobo disk won't work with the Win7 OS so maybe that's a clue. I went to their website for newer versions but they don't seem to work either. I didn't read anything in the bios fixes that talked about this but maybe I should update.

No. The core speed can't be changed by upgrading Vista to Win7. The problem was there, since beginning. You only noticed with OFF. But it could have been with other application. Sooner or later you would have face it. Probably it's more noticeable with a single core application type, like OFF.

Tell me, it was you who assembled it? If you aren't comfortable with upgrading and tweaking the BIOS you might consider the use of professional help.

On Asus site did you looked for Win7 64bits? Besides you don't need them. Maybe TurboV could be nice.

You can always try to change a single value in BIOS before updating.

There is a TAB called "AI Tweaker" (Page 3-12 of your motherboard manual).

The option CPU/NB Frequency which is set to [Auto].

Try to change the auto to the proper multiplier value which in your case is 16x.

Run again CPU-Z and post the new report here.

EDIT: Remember tweaking the BIOS is always risky. But that's what I would do.

Edited by Von Paulus

DEFINITELY uninstall AMD Cool n Quiet from your system if you play any games. Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and look for Cool n Quiet. Click uninstall and reboot.

I also agree with von P that you should flash your BIOS. Sixteen updates are a lot of updates that you are missing out on. Flashing the BIOS is simple enough as long as you CAREFULLY follow ALL of the directions. As long as you don't get a power surge or interruption in the middle of flashing your BIOS you should be okay.

12 OC,

Just for the heck of it, and only if interested, download the trial version of Process Lasso HERE and see if it helps.

It has a 'game mode' which is performance related (duh!) and will override any hidden "green" settings, as well as let you push all background processes to core 2 (cpu 3 & 4), letting you run sim.exe on cpu 1 and TIR on cpu2 if you have it. You decide where things run. The alternative is to have to set these affinities manually on each reboot AFAIK.

When the trial ends your settings are still good and you use it indefinately, but there is a brief nag screen.

Thanks for the tip Bandy. I'll give it a try.

DEFINITELY uninstall AMD Cool n Quiet from your system if you play any games. Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and look for Cool n Quiet. Click uninstall and reboot.

I also agree with von P that you should flash your BIOS. Sixteen updates are a lot of updates that you are missing out on. Flashing the BIOS is simple enough as long as you CAREFULLY follow ALL of the directions. As long as you don't get a power surge or interruption in the middle of flashing your BIOS you should be okay.

Hi. I will do the uninstall for sure. I am also reading up on BIOS flashing. I have always left the BIOS alone but maybe now is the time to change. Thanks for your help.

You can always try to change a single value in BIOS before updating.

There is a TAB called "AI Tweaker" (Page 3-12 of your motherboard manual).

The option CPU/NB Frequency which is set to [Auto].

Try to change the auto to the proper multiplier value which in your case is 16x.

Run again CPU-Z and post the new report here.

EDIT: Remember tweaking the BIOS is always risky. But that's what I would do.

Hi Von Paulus,

I have been reading my mobo manual and noticed that as well. I'll give it a try and let you know.

12oclock,

I have a sneaking suspicion your problem has nothing to do with the Cool 'n Quiet feature, but it doesn't hurt to disable it.

I think your problem is you have the C1E and EIST functions in your BIOS enabled (they are by default I believe). Disable both of them, save your settings, boot to Windows and see if that does the trick.

If it doesn't, go back in and set your multiplier to 16X manually, save the settings, boot to Windows and check your core speeds to see if it's sorted out.

If that doesn't do it, you may be looking at a BIOS update after all.

Cheers,

Parky

No. The core speed can't be changed by upgrading Vista to Win7. The problem was there, since beginning. You only noticed with OFF. But it could have been with other application. Sooner or later you would have face it. Probably it's more noticeable with a single core application type, like OFF.

Tell me, it was you who assembled it? If you aren't comfortable with upgrading and tweaking the BIOS you might consider the use of professional help.

On Asus site did you looked for Win7 64bits? Besides you don't need them. Maybe TurboV could be nice.

Yes, I bought the components and assembled them. The CPU I installed at the computer store. Then we checked the BIOS to make sure it found the CPU and the ram. Last Asus board and BIOS that I had on my older computer would not see past 4gb. ram.

I am OK with flashing and upgrading the BIOS. I just like to know what I'm doing a head of time and there is no hurry. I'll check TurbV. Thanks. You have been most helpful.

12oclock,

I have a sneaking suspicion your problem has nothing to do with the Cool 'n Quiet feature, but it doesn't hurt to disable it.

I think your problem is you have the C1E and EIST functions in your BIOS enabled (they are by default I believe). Disable both of them, save your settings, boot to Windows and see if that does the trick.

If it doesn't, go back in and set your multiplier to 16X manually, save the settings, boot to Windows and check your core speeds to see if it's sorted out.

Cheers,

Parky

OK, I'll give that a try first and let you know. By the way to set the multiplier (which I think is the CPU/NB frequency) the BIOS wants input in voltage. Starting minimum at .8V and increasing/decreasing by.0125V. Am I looking at the same thing you guys are and is so what voltage should be set for 3200 mhz?

I was looking also at C1E. The advice given by Parky seems good.

Try is suggestion.

I'm afraid I haven't much experience in overclocking. I don't know what is the right value for the input voltage.

Increase slightly and see if the system is stable. Look at the CPU temperature.

Before doing the 16X multiplier try the suggestion given by Parky.

EDIT: See this values.

You can put your question in the overclocker.net. They'll help you.

Edited by Von Paulus

12oclock,

Cheers,

Parky

Hi Parky

CIE Support under CPU Config was disabled already. I can't find the reference to EIST. Can you give a more definite location?

Don't know if it exists EIST with AMD.

What was the result after disabling C1E? No change?

Then we've to go the multiplier part.

Don't know if it exists EIST with AMD.

What was the result after disabling C1E? No change?

Then we've to go the multiplier part.

It was already disabled. I have to think about this multiplier. I don't know anything about overclocking. Actually this is probably not true overclocking. It is just getting the cores to run at spec but I don't want to mess anything up. I have no clue what might happen if I put in a wrong value. Worst case I guess is resetting CMOS but that's a pain. I think I will look into the BIOS upgrade first unless someone with knowledge of overclocking wants to help out.

12 OC,

Bandy,

Game mode made no difference. It is an interesting program though. Thanks.

I checked for Cool n Quiet. Not installed. Thanks.

It was already disabled. I have to think about this multiplier. I don't know anything about overclocking. Actually this is probably not true overclocking. It is just getting the cores to run at spec but I don't want to mess anything up. I have no clue what might happen if I put in a wrong value. Worst case I guess is resetting CMOS but that's a pain. I think I will look into the BIOS upgrade first unless someone with knowledge of overclocking wants to help out.

Does your BIOS have an "AUTO" setting for CPU multiplier? If so, select that for a start.

Looks like your MB has "EZ-Flash 2." This allows you to flash your BIOS by inserting a flash drive with the latest BIOS into a USB port. Look for instructions in your MB manual.

Does your BIOS have an "AUTO" setting for CPU multiplier? If so, select that for a start.

It has. Only if you changed the value from Auto to other it asks for the input voltage for the processor.

It won't happen anything drastic, 12oclockhigh, if you put the wrong value. Only it can become more instable and more hot.

Suggest to start with values that I pointed you.

EDIT: But I would definitely update the BIOS.

Edited by Von Paulus