Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Anyone with a little Brother will relate

Hey, that was cute! I have a "little" sister, she was also such a cute monster.

In our childhood days, I would have liked to tear her head off every second

day (she KNEW how to tease me) - but I wouldn't want to miss her!

Trust me Olham, I know what you mean. Mine passed 2 years ago now, at 42. It's tough losing a younger sibling. Losing a sibling period is tough, but they are younger it's even worse. But you're right! She could "push the buttons" to make me very angry.

Trust me Olham, I know what you mean. Mine passed 2 years ago now, at 42. It's tough losing a younger sibling. Losing a sibling period is tough, but they are younger it's even worse. But you're right! She could "push the buttons" to make me very angry.

I am sorry to hear that Conrad..I hope this post did not upset you.

Sorry about this, Conrad, but it is my belief, that one day we will all meet again.

UKW,

The post didn't bug me. I have a thick skin, and lots of "moral fiber". I'm not too sensative about things.

Yes Olham, one day we will again be united with our loved ones, in the Halls of Vahala! It brought back good memories. Sis and I were fishin' buddies. We would get 20 to 30lb catfish out at the dam. Lots of fun with them in the deep end. Funny thing was, nobody could pick on my baby sister. I could, but nobody else better, or I would track them down, and then, well, they had it comin'.

Fishing?

Conrad, now you have surely made a friend in Widowmaker - and I know

where this topic will now develope to. Karps and pikes!

aha!...Would that be Bullhead Catfish Conrad?...Or Channels?

(yep, Olham sussed where this would go)

Gawd - sometimes I hate to be right...

aha!...Would that be Bullhead Catfish Conrad?...Or Channels?

(yep, Olham sussed where this would go)

Channels, and flatheads. Both taste great to me though. Do I also detect a pike hunter? I catch them in Lake St. Claire by trolling 3 to 6 inch lures about 15 to 20 ft behind the boat, right in the propwash. They go nuts on them like that. Along with big muskies too! The muskies have been runnin' an average of 50 lbs out of the lake. And up to 6ft in length. I busted one in a canal last spring, 2 days before muskie season openned, so I had to get 'em back in the water quick. I don't like poachers. So I don't do it myself. But it tipped my scale at close to 70lbs, and almost 76 inches. I did get one in July after the season openned, that was 62 inches, and it left a nice mark on the top of my thumb. I didn't have a good hold of it so it got me, but I got it in return. Got about 20 meals out of it.

Now out west, in the mountains, if you want good trout fishing, that's the place to go. The ice cold mountain streams make the trout very tasty. The dam in Denver we went to, was good for the cats, but I haven't found a good place here to get them. At least on the lake. There is a steam about 4 miles from the house where there are everything from panfish to the big predators to giant snappin' turtles, but I caught 4 channel cats there, on little 1/2 inch crickets from the petshop. They weren't as big as the ones sis and I got, but they were good none the less. The last one sis caught the summer before she passed, was 32.09lbs, and the record for rod and reel was 33lbs even. But on 10lb test line, one must be a very good angler.

Edited by ConradB

did i read something about FISHING?

Flyfishing is my number one passion in life. I take fisherman guiding during the seasons. ConradB & UK Widowmaker u 2 are welcome to visit me any time in sunny south africa for some great fishing.

This is a pic of me with a beautiful smallmouth yellowfish during the winter season close to my home.

That Yellow Fish looks just like what we call a Common Carp here in the UK Morris...caught on a Fly too...wonderful stuff

Conrad...Did I read that Correctly??...a Near 70lb Muskie???.....HOLY SH*T

I get so full of envy when I read about the Fishing abroad!...when Junior has finished High School, and is packed off to Uni... I'm boarding a Plane, and gonna give my Rod a damn good thrashing, and no mistake!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

UK_Widowmaker,

a Yellowfish is not a carp but i did catch this 12kg grass carp last season on a fly rod.

I knew this would happen...

Edited by Olham

Ah yes...Grass Carp (Sorry OLHAM!) :grin:

Here's my best one so far

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

UK_Widowmaker,

Well done. She is beautiful.

Morris

Here's a northern pike and smallmouth my buddy caught last fall when he and his daughter came out. They never fished outside Colorado. I grew up here in Michigan on the big lakes.

DSCN0507.jpg

The northern measured 32 inches, and was caught on a Rapala 08 Cracklin' Rap. Yeah I know, it's a bass lure. But it has more scratches from teeh, than the pike and muskie lures. The beautiful Lake St. Claire spans out in the backround. My bro didn't want to handle the northern, because it has teeth, but I showed him how to grip them by the gill so they go limp, and won't thrash.

DSCN0448.jpg

The smallmouth bass was 20 inches, and 6.6 lbs. A real football. It hit on a 6 inch articulated muskie lure in a canal in about 4 feet of water.

UKW, I have to find a monthly hunting/fishing magazine, and scan a pic of a guy up north who landed a 51lb / 56 inch monster up in Torch Lake. Which isn't far from where my daughter goes to school. Had I know, I would hav taken solid measures of my 70lb monster, before releasing and photographed the thing too, and reported the fish to Mich. Fish and Game, as it would have been a record. Oh well, there's always next year.

The funny thnig is, I never set out to hunt muskie. I usually get them when I'm fishing for bass or pike. You guys would like the lake sturgeon fishing too. They run up to about 180 lbs in the St. Claire River. They usually hit when you're not expecting it. Drifting with the current fishing for walleye is when they usually hit. In the fall, they breech to knock lampreys off, and one splashed aout 50 ft from the boat, and all I saw was the tail and fin, which was maybe 2 to 2 and a 1/2 feet from top too bottom. Some of the divers who work on the bridges between Canada and the US, say there are giant sturgeon dowm there. Bigger than you can imagine.

Morris, if I ever get the opportunity, you bet! I'll be there in heartbeat! Love fishin'!

Same here too, if you guys ever want to try the Great Lakes, let me know.

Thank you Morris...not a patch on your Grassy I have to say!!

(we should start a Fishing Photo thread!)

That water is SOOO blue Conrad

If I get out on Lake Huron next summer, I'll take some pics out there. Huron is 180 miles from north to south, and at her widest east west, she's 86 miles. Deepest point is on the Canadian side at 750 ft. So surface water is over 15000 sq. miles.

I have seen Lake Huron, on a trip to Canada...never got a chance to fish it though.

I did some fishing in Ontario in my two week vacation in '08

great stuff!