Sign in to follow this  
jwrich

Settings to assign keys on Joy stick

I have MS Combat Simulator 2 (use often) & MS 2004 Flight Simulator (Use Often) and I have MS Combat Simulator 3 (Not loaded for play, don't like it). In each of these there is setting page where you can adjust & assign keys on your joy stick. I can't find any thing like that in work shop. Yesterday I finally got OFF loaded after having to buy more RAM memory and a new video card, I also have a new Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joy stick. I made the changes & assigned buttons on the other two simulators. I love this OFF simulator, as many of you have said there is a steep learning process.

Thanks for your help

Rich

Welcome.

FAQ:

1.1.2 ) Setting up keys and Joystick controls:

You can change these settings in CFS3 but when you go back out an back in again it is back in "OFF mode". Most settings are set from WORKSHOP button now in the OFF Manager and they may override settings in CFS3 options in flight

however Joystick settings and keys are set from within the sim! To do this launch a flight (from QC for example, or a campaign mission (i.e. fly!) and then Press ESC when in flight, Click on the Controls.. Edit them, then you must save your settings as "Mine" (without the quotes of course) and the profile will stick for next time.

Or use your joystick's own profile software to setup different settings.

-OR-

Copy your own favourite XCA into

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_LOGON_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields (XP)

C:\Users\YOUR_LOGON_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields (Vista)

and rename it to mine.xca then always save changes to Mine and you will have no more problems.

Not to hijack - it's sort of a related question: I don't have TIR yet (still poor *lol*) but I do OK with the 'hat' switch. The only trouble is I can't find a way to 'snap' back to forward cockpit view, which would be handy. Perhaps not as realistic, but handy...anyone got any ideas? Am I overlooking something simple? I did try mapping a JS button to the Scroll Lock key, so that turning panning off and back on snaps to forward view...but you have to hit the button twice :( Any advice? Thanks!

When you go to Escape/Controls it is VERY important that you use the title "Mine" (no "s just the letters) at save as box. That way when you fly another mission OFF will have your settings for the joy stick up and running. Use any other title like your name and each flight you will have to go into controls and select it.

jwrich, just my two cents' worth, but I find joystick assignments are better done by using the stick's programming software. My keyboard, OTOH, is very personalized with very few, if any, commands left stock.

'Virtual Cockpit' I believe is the view you're searching for, to see as the pilot would see, looking foreward over the gun or guns. It exists, however it is unasigned at time of installation, you'll find it in Controls. I normally assign it something not in use with OFF, like 'V' a flap control.

If you find Trackir a bit rich for your blood, look into Free Track

I'll give you real Horror Story about Trackir, 3 years back, when I bought it . . . . .it was $180

Hello uncleal...yes, I've considered FreeTrack, still a possibility. I do appreciate your suggestion - and tried it right away. Unfortunately, that doesn't work: Since I am already *in* the VC view, it does...well, nothing :) (Of course, if I change my view to another using F4 first, then click my newly-assigned button, it absolutely does go to VC, forward/over the guns). I was hoping to find a 'snap' to that position, while already in VC view. I'm not sure it exists, to be honest. I do appreciate your reply, though, just the same.

Not to hijack - it's sort of a related question: I don't have TIR yet (still poor *lol*) but I do OK with the 'hat' switch. The only trouble is I can't find a way to 'snap' back to forward cockpit view, which would be handy. Perhaps not as realistic, but handy...anyone got any ideas? Am I overlooking something simple? I did try mapping a JS button to the Scroll Lock key, so that turning panning off and back on snaps to forward view...but you have to hit the button twice :( Any advice? Thanks!

That's pretty much it. You switch between view modes. You program stick buttons to swich you back and forth between "snap" and "panning" view modes. You need 2 buttons, 1 to switch to from "snap" (the default) to "panning" mode, then another to switch back to "snap" mode. When you're in panning and you hit the "snap mode" button, POOF, you're looking back forward again. That's how I did it before I got TIR.

CFS3's view system is one of the worst ever created, especially considering far better keyboard view systems had been around for 20 years or so before. I continually sacrifice goats to the Dark Gods in hopes that when P4 rolls around, it has its own engine which uses the universally approved keypad system along with TIR support of course.

Go to controls and scroll down until you get to a command that indicates something like "default forward view". Sorry, I can't remember exactly what it's called. Then you bind this command to a joystick button. Simple as that.

Back, way back in the olden times, before I got trackir I used the hatswitch to look around and various other keys mapped to left, right, in, out, up, down views with some considerable success so it's not as bad as some make out once you get used to it. Let's just call it multi-tasking. However, having tasted trackir, I would never look back wink.gif