Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Bristol Scout

I finally started working on the Bristol Scouts skin from SkunkWorks A-Team. I'm scratching my head. I dont know whats on these skin templatesblink.gif . But I've been in touch with Capun1950 about the original templates. He's going to try to help me out. So I've started working on decal coordinates and decals and did a rough run on the wings to get a feel for what's what. Here's what I got so far. Remember this is just a rough skin. If you see something wrong it's because it isgrin.gif Almost Bucky....Almostgrin.gif

looking really good.I did a simple cut and paste and ran into the same issue with the untextured areas on the fuselage.If Capun can't resolve the problem for you what I did was make a large decal that matched the fuselage and find the mesh name in the out file and apply,sounds easy but it was a pain in the @ss to get it to line up and it wasn't perfect by any means.But it was better than nothing.

Good ideagood.gif . But I cant open .LOD files. Dont have the program to do it. Could you tell how or send me the parts names for decal placement. I should be able to cover the white parts up with matching fuselage panels then.

give me a little time and I'll try to get the names for you.I us a simple hex editor to track down the names in the lod file btw.HxD is the one I'm using it was a free download.

ok the parts name is FuseSeams

I hope that helps.Again I have to say that your skin looks excellent.

Edited by whiteknight06604

I saw that in the .HxD you told me about. Does it have to mention Left, Right, Top, or Bottom? Or is it just one part?

I saw that in the .HxD you told me about. Does it have to mention Left, Right, Top, or Bottom? Or is it just one part?

I set it up with left and right decals.I set the size to something like 15 or so and guessed at the "center" at that size the decal covered the whole uncolored parts.it seems about half of the skin.bmps are unused.prob left overs from the original pre-conversion maps.It was very confusing to figure out what was needed and what whent were.I give you major props for attempting to make a skin thats worth releasing.the one I did was just a hack job to make it look a little better as a target.

Check it out, Capun told me about downloading and using the original source file "Laces" (that was missing from their beta package) and converting it to a 24bit.bmp. Then I just saved the Laces.bmp to my Scout skin folder. Poof! there are the Laces filling those white lines. Awsome! Now I can move on. Thanks Capun1950drinks.gif . And thank for your help too

whiteknightdrinks.gif

New pics with stiching (Laces)

After getting the original .bmp's here's the original skin to work with. I made the decals though.

A few more. Then I got to take a break. My eyes are going to fall out.blink.gif

There is a weird shadow bug coming from a mount of some sorts just outside of the cockpit on the upper right side. I hope Capun could fix this. It's pretty anoying.

...Almost Bucky....Almostgrin.gif

Almost?...If it didn't get any better than that, I'd be well happy!

You've probably seen 'em already, but I've posted some Scout photos over at the A Team forum that you might find useful.

Keep up the awesome work, man!

And then Hawker's 1611

These are ScoutC and C1's

Quack...They're quite simply stunning, mate!

Taking into account the base model you started with, I reckon they're the best skins you've ever done. Brilliant job, well done!

Just a few trivial little pointers:

Hawker's 1611 had no upper wing roundels.

The wing roundels should be just a little bit larger...Almost the whole width of the wing.

If possible, can you get rid of the white outer ring on all roundels?

Thanks again for doing these...You've made a not so very old man very happy :yahoo:

Hawker's 1611 had no upper wing roundels.

The wing roundels should be just a little bit larger...Almost the whole width of the wing.

If possible, can you get rid of the white outer ring on all roundels?

Funny you should mention the Roundels. I just removed the white outer ring. And I didnt know about the upper wing Roundels on Hawkers Scout. Good to know. And I am going to make the Roundels larger. Thanks Bucky. You are my trusted source.drinks.gif

Now as for the overall color. Look at the pics bellow and tell me if you like the scouts with the dull dope finish or the more yellowish finish. And check out the damage effects. I had to make .tga's for the damage textures to show. So now you'll know you've been hitgrin.gif

Holes.tga's

Damn I can't make up my mind which looks better,as for historical the few color drawings I have seen look like the lighter one.

Look real good quack. I like all the schemes you have posted. Shading on the wing ribs is excellent. This beta model is starting to look great.

If you want, and you are in contact with Capun, and he wants to use my FMs to release the Bristols as a package, please let him know that is more'n okay with me.

Edited by peter01

...Now as for the overall color. Look at the pics bellow and tell me if you like the scouts with the dull dope finish or the more yellowish finish...

No, I can't decide either...They're both equally beautiful. :wub: 'Aint there some way we can have both?

When speaking 'bout the roundels, I forgot to mention that the white outer ring should be retained on the early RNAS 'Red Ring' type.

As for that damage modelling; it's really quite superb, if maybe just a little too much? It might be more realistic if it was just a tad more subtle?

I really can't get over how truly excellent this model's turned out to be...And to think it's been sitting around as a beta for more than a year!

I'll lighten up on the "Holes" for sure. You're right it is a bit much.

The Eastchurch RNAS does still have the white outer ring.

I'll add the "yellowish" version as an add-on skin. I have to get a good clean base down for Skunkworks to use. I'll probably add most of them in the CA download section.

Bucky... Did Hawker's Scout have the roundels over-painted? Or were the roundels never painted on his plane? I could paint on the "over-painted" roundels. Might look better that way. or just change the opacity of the decal to just barely show. Hmmm.

The templates are just way too hard to work with without the UV maps. It's almost impossible to find all the little parts to paint them. And a lot of textures appear to be stretched to cover portions of the model. You'll see it on the cowl, the underside of the rear fuselage, and on the upper decking. So it's almost impossible to get it perfect. From what I have to work with I'm trying to do my best. I spent 2 hours trying to find all the little parts for the Prop hub and shaft. It's all burried under a solid coat of grey. ARG!!!! So the Hub and shaft will have to be grey. I couldn't find all the parts. It's all mixed in with the cowl messes. Crazy!

Anyway,.... Bucky fill me in on those roundels on Hawker's Scout. And send me some pics of some "D" scouts and Squadrons for it if you could pleasegrin.gif

BTW, I got the idea for that style of damage textures from the Halberstadt D.III model. So I used someone elses idea. Cant take full credit for it. But I did have to paint them on the meshes thoughgrin.gif

Edited by quack74

Hey Peter01, That would be great. It would make things a lot easier and faster to get the package done. I'm sure Capun1950 would agree. I'll mention it to him. Thanksdrinks.gif

Bucky... Did Hawker's Scout have the roundels over-painted? Or were the roundels never painted on his plane? I could paint on the "over-painted" roundels. Might look better that way. or just change the opacity of the decal to just barely show. Hmmm.

No, they weren't overpainted. The roundels just weren't applied to the upper wings on 1611 (not at the time that famous photo was taken anyway). The same would also apply to any RFC Scout you might do with the 'Union Jack' flag on the fuselage, although you could put the flag on the underside of the wings if you wanted.

The Naval Scouts you've done with fuselage flags and upper wing, red ring roundels are okay though.

...And send me some pics of some "D" scouts and Squadrons for it if you could pleasegrin.gif

Yeah sure. Will do.

Have to wait till tomorrow though...It's coming up 2:30am and I've been up since quarter to six...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Southside Bucky

Okay...After a nice long lay-in :lazy: , here's just about all the photos I have that'll be of any use to you.

First up is Bristol Scout D, N5392. Seems to be overall PC10.

This A/C was based at Manston, England, and was used against Gotha's that attacked Sheerness on July 7th 1917.

scout3001.jpg

Another 'D'. Serial No. N5393. An RNAS machine of No.2 Wing, Probably early 1916.

Looks to be mainly PC10, whith grey panels and cowling, white wheels.

scout3002.jpg

RNAS Scout D, No. 8996. Fought against the Turks in Mudros.

Overall PC10 or (more probably) PC12 except for the clear doped fuselage sides and grey panels.

scout3003.jpg

Another Home Defence machine. Scout D, 8956. Overall PC10.

scout3004.jpg

Scout D, 7053, used for gun experiments.

scout3005.jpg

Scout D, serial unknown. Slightly worse for wear in overall PC10.

scout3006.jpg

A hybrid C/D, with parts from both.

scout3007.jpg

A late D (November '16) Used for training.

scout3008.jpg

Scout C, 469?, with two side Lewis guns.

scout3009.jpg

Hope they help.

Bucky

Edited by Southside Bucky

Incidentally, Quack.

A few posts back you asked about Bristol Scout Squadrons?

No unit was ever fully equipped with it...It was distributed in small numbers to just about every British squadron on the Western Front from mid 1915 to mid '16.

Would it be safe to make the C and C1 in natural dope finish? And make the D and D1 in PC10? I have to draw a line somewhere I guess. I'm sure they were all mixed with dope and PC10. But just to seperate the two, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. What do you think?

Well I could just make a generic C and C1 with both dope and PC10 using wing roundels. And same for the D models. I think I'll keep the Eastchurch RNAS the only ones with the Union Jack. I dont know what other Squadrons had the Union Jack on the wings.

And Hawker's C1, I removed the roundels from the wings (upper and lower), and added a little more dirt and grime to the wings so it didnt look too bare. Getting a little confusing. Too many things going on in my head. They're lookin good though. BTW thanks all for the complimentsdrinks.gif

Edited by quack74