Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Updated FMs No7 - FokE3s FokE4s Nie11 Nie16

New FMs for the Fokker E3/E3a, Fokker E4/4a, and redone Nieuport 11, Nieuport 16.

Also included are:

- Loadout files in the folders for bombs, Le Prieur rockets to work.

I think of this as my "stability" update. The Fokker Es FMs are new, but as always have been very hard to make stable, these come very close. Flying the Nieuport 11 and 16 again, I realised they were too unstable even for my liking :grin:, so these improve/fix that, and I'd say you will like these better than the previous FMs.

BTW, TK has pretty well fixed the stablity issues in FE2 :salute:, which to me was the bane of doing EP FE1 FMs (as well as slower roll); it required a lot of FM knowledge, effort, work arounds, compromises and testing to make FMs stable, especially the earlier planes.

No7 2010 FMs - FokkerE3s FokkerE4s Nie11 Nie16.zip

IMPORTANT

=========

These are for FE1.

You must have installed "FE Nov 2008 Game Files" component within the "UPDATED FE Plane FMs for Nov 2008 Patch" for everything such as guns, loadouts and pilot models to work properly. It is available here at CombatAce: First Eagles by Thirdwire> First Eagles Add-On Aircraft> Flight Models.

INSTALLATION

============

1) I recommend you backup the folders of the above aircraft before installing.

2) Place all the files from this download into the corresponding plane folders in the /Objects/Aircraft of your First Eagles installation.

Edited by peter01

Will give them a go Peter, and thank you.

I was trying out the new N17 FM just yesterday in single mission against some EIIIa's and found they could bank and turn as well as I could --all three of them almost in formation! They were cutting the edge and making it look so easy while my FFB stick was shaking in my hands all out. It was fun, sure, and why I didn't take a screen shot I don't know, but wing-warpers can't have been that good could they?

Will give them a go Peter, and thank you.

I was trying out the new N17 FM just yesterday in single mission against some EIIIa's and found they could bank and turn as well as I could --all three of them almost in formation! They were cutting the edge and making it look so easy while my FFB stick was shaking in my hands all out. It was fun, sure, and why I didn't take a screen shot I don't know, but wing-warpers can't have been that good could they?

A Fokker magnet, LOL.

They may be be overdone as AI, but ...

I mainly test in 1 vs 1 combats against Aces. In both the current N11 and N17 it takes me no longer than 10-20 secs to flame the E3s, each and every time. Usually a turn or two. Though I accept your point about wing warpers, I can't accept that dogfights in RL would be that easy either.

Some thoughts ...

The E3s and all AI use rudder continuously, and rudder helps a lot in turns. Are you using rudder, really hard rudder, to the extent you are stalling and losing height? If so, you can do three turns to their two or less. Almost twice their turn rate. In any case if they beat you in a turn because they started first or whatever, they lose height when they turn using rudder, so you can pretty easily outclimb them and then do a diving turn (which is faster, and in essence what they do and you see as their fast turns). In that case it takes me no longer than 40-60 secs to shoot them down, depending on my aim.

So ... you either follow them into a diving turn preferably with rudder, and outturn them, or you don't but still just outturn them, climb, then re-engage.

How that works in a three to one I don't know ...

It could well be that most agree with you about the E3 AI, and when you fly early war Allied like I do mostly, you are largely fighting E3s, it is good to get them about right for most people. So I'm interested in others views too ...

BTW, try flying an Albatros against an Se5a or Spad13. Now that can be a challenge!

Edited by peter01

Thanks for reply Peter01,

Yes, in fact I've been using CH pedals for more than a year now (what a difference!). In my defence, most of the time in missions past I did not have issues with Eindeckers and simply out turned them. Perhaps my anecdotal post was colored in some way by, well, that single mission. On reflection my N17 may have been damaged in the initial merge, I cannot recall after a few fingers of single malt... :blink:

I ended up doing a few low and high yo-yo's and got some good deflection shots on the straggler before split-arsing out of there through some clouds and loosing them. Rather foolishly I tried to see if my wing man was still about, and dallied a little too long 'cause the EIIIs found me again, and without altitude and a smaller engine I was toast.

As I've mentioned in other forums (and in a distinctly positive way!), Peter, your AI makes a grown man weep!!!

Peter

Haven't been able to try your updated FMs yet (or Jan Tuma's new terrain or even FE2 - why do major upgrades always happen when I'm overseas??), but remind me please - did you re-do the Camel, if so, which version? (110hp, 130hp, 150hp?)

Thanks

MIke

Haven't uploaded a Camel yet, Mike, if that was the question. Still have a few to upload, just short of time currently. The one I will be uploading (I think) is the 130hp.

Haven't uploaded a Camel yet, Mike, if that was the question. Still have a few to upload, just short of time currently. The one I will be uploading (I think) is the 130hp.

Thanks Peter,

Yes that is what I meant. Looking forward to the new 130hp Camel, when it's ready. You've already worked wonders with this sim, but please take your time, you deserve the break!

Mike

N11 will still fly missing one wing.

N11FMbug.jpg

Are you sure Bandy? It is easy to test losing that wing, which I just did, and it seems right, it hardly flies, and isn't controllable. So, perplexed.

Well, it wasn't easy, not like the 'old days' when you could loose the entire top plane and keep dogfighting. You can see from the screenie I had full aileron and rudder to keep it level, but I did fly it like that for several minutes before I quit the mission. I didn't try to land, and doubt I would have been able to, though on retrospect I should have tried.

It could be the circumstance of conditions, i.e. an AI craft collided with me while I was not in a particularly challenging position to recover from.

Just thought I'd point it out if this happened to others inadvertently.

N11 is very spritely! Good FM Peter, thanks!

N11 will still fly missing one wing.

Well it _could_ happen, albeit extremely rarely. Perhaps the most famous incident was in early 1918 when Hans von Hippel's Albatros DV lost a lower wing but he still managed to bring it down, although I think it flipped over on landing, there's a picture of it somewhere. He was lucky that it was a DV and not a DIII or a DVa, because in the DV the aileron control runs go through the top wing. In the other two types the aileron control runs go through the lower wing, so lose that, lose lateral control. By the same logic, because its aileron runs also go topsides, a Nieuport V-strutter might also retain lateral control so long as its top wing remained intact.

Found that pic of von Hippel's crash-landing, see below. He walked away from this (indeed he survived the war and lived at least into the 1970's).

As you can see, the whole lower port wing has detached cleanly. With a close look you can see that the port flying wires are still in place, which is probably why the port upper wing stayed put.

Mike