Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Pet Rescue

Besides flight simming, most of my time is spent assisting my wife with pet rescue. We handle the kittens/cats for a local rescue group in this area called Homeward Bound.

For those of you who do not like cats, please keep your opinions to yourself, ok?

To say that I am a cat lover would be an understatement.

Some of you may remember the loss of my little siamese cat, Armand, last September. I buried his ashes just outside my front porch, with some flowers. Someday I will get another siamese; but not just yet.

My wife does pet photography, and attached is one of our cats, named "Snoop".

Navy Chief

You mean there are some people out there who don't like cats. I got 13 of them. Love every one of'em.....

CJ

Gizmo

Panzer

Baby

Angel(outdoor cat)

Bell (outdoor cat)

Sad eyes with 3 new kittens

Whisper(outdoor cat)

Squirrel(outdoor cat)

Topaz(outdoor cat)

Prescious

Roxie (looks just about like the one in your picture.)

Clutz

and 3 dogs

Bandit (Weiner Dog)

Dink (Weinter Dog)

Torrie (German Shepard) by the way, all three dogs think their cats..... so don't tell them otherwise.

Right now, my wife is taking care of 29 kittens, and three cats. Needless to say, it is quite a job. My main contribution is doing errands to get food, litter, etc... The worst job is hauling away the litter. I mean, it's heavy to begin with, and after they use it? Back breaker! But it's all worth the effort. I have to say, however, that I miss my little Armand so much. He was my best friend for so long.

My Rottweiler, "Chief", has taken over as my buddy. He has more personality than any dog I have ever had. Sometimes I really think he's more human than canine.

Navy Chief

Chief,

My Cat just reached retirment age, 14 on the 11th. Marty is my best friend, and at he has the run of the house. I just want to know one thing, how can an eight pound cat create a thirty pound catbox? and why is he smiling when I empty it ?

Looks like we have a new addition soon, a new 8 week old cockapoo....

I know what you're thinking, not a "Man" dog, :D but cockapoos are actually a great breed. I had one for 14 years and it's the best dog I ever owned. Smart as hell, and even though they are a smaller breed (10-20 lbs) they are sturdy dogs that have the personality of a larger (non-yappier) breed. :D

We had picked up a new dog last summer for a couple months, but he got too agressive for the wife and kids, so I had to take him back. We've been petless all year and I had pretty much refused to consider another animal after last summer's fiasco, but the wife's really had her heart set on a new smaller dog. So, faced with the choice of another baby or another dog, I finally relented and suggested we look as some cockapoos.

We go pick him up in two weeks, and even though I would die before I would admit it to my wife, ;) I'm actually getting excited about picking up the little ball of fluff.

post-5-1085507463_thumb.jpg

Hey MJ

My dad got us a miniature poodle when we were kids. Molly lived to the ripe old age of 13, and was a "shadow" to my dad, whenever he was working in the yard. Very smart dog, too. Neurotic, but smart, heh, heh.

My dog "Chief" definitely had a rough time of it when we first got him. We noticed that by the time he was only 4 months old that he didn't want to get up and play much. Seemed like he was in pain. Well, as it turned out he had a severe case of hip dysplasia, which is quite common in Rotts. We ended up taking him up to Knoxville, TN, to a vet who specializes in a type of corrective surgery called TPO (triple pelvic osteotomy). His surgery was done on one hip at at time, six weeks apart. They cut his pelvic bones in half, rotated them 30 degrees, and bolted them back together. The end result was to create a socket where there was none. The cost? You don't want to know. But we were not going to let him go. No way.

Today, he is fine. You wouldn't know by looking at him that he ever had a problem. His only physical drawback seems to be that his hip muscles may not develop as they normally would have. But he jumps and runs like crazy.

Navy Chief

Here's mine NC,

Pretty tabby, Fates

I may have spoken too soon about my dog, "Chief's" not having any more problems. As I type this, the poor dog is limping around the house, favoring his right hip. Considering his past problems, I cannot ignore his aches and pains, and will be calling the vet in the morning to get Chief an appointment. Will let you know what happens. Not good.

Navy Chief

We have a black lab named Jack, and are pretty much a one dog family. Have to say though, always wanted a cat. I only dislike cats that dislike me.