Sign in to follow this  
Venator

FE2 spins & stalls bug?

Grim Viper started a long thread of FE2 bugs at 3rdWire LINK

He mentions that a/c are unable to spin currently, is this so?

I'm on the fence about upgrading and have not yet.

I don't know about FE2 but in FE/EP I rarely get into a spin. What does happen often is the stupid "stuck in the air at 0 mph and floating tail down to the ground" effect. Fact is most of these A/C very easily entered into a spin and most very easily recovered from said spin. IMHO we lost a very good flight model pre-EP (or at least a very good, more realistic FM to build on) to gain spins and spin recovery and its STILL broken.

Edited by Tailspin

There isn't a bug in FE2 compared to FE1 in stalls and spins. In fact it is easier to make better stalls and spins.

The reason it seems a problem (or is a problem), is as TK reduced the effectiveness of the pitch in FE2 (stalls/spins are a function of speed PLUS changes in AoA, ie pitch movements)it is harder to stall in FE2 than FE1. TK didn't mod the stall parameters on his FMs - they are the same FMs as in FE1. If he had, it would improve the stalls for the game as is, and be an improvement over what he had in FE1.

Not sure why this wasn't done, maybe wanted to minimise the changes, didn't think about it, or is developing new stall code (which he said some time ago he would be doing).

In fact the ability to improve stall/spins in FE2 is one of it's big pluses!

Edited by peter01

I enter stalls and spins often now that I switched to the Hard FM setting.in normal mode it's just to easy to be ham fisted with the stick.I have to learn to fly all over again and be a little more catious how I jerk the stick around now.

Hmmm...thats odd. For me stalls, yes. Spins, no. Also I have to really not be paying attention to what I am doing to get into a stall. Perhaps "growing up" flying EAW, which had an almost automatic stall/spin mode has taught me to really watch for stalls. :dntknw:

LOL, in EAW reversing your roll or rudder was sufficient cause to enter an immediate death spin! Very touchy FM there, ironically it reminded me of its predecessor PAW which also had touchy spins several years earlier.

I will say the sim I get spins in most often though is Il-2, even in planes and situations I completely disagree should've resulted in said spin. It's like either gravity or mass is inaccurately accounted for there and as a result even very heavy planes will dance like a paper plane in a strong wind when it departs. The ones I've gotten into in TKs sims, while granted are far less frequent, at least feel more "right."

Ah the old EAW days. Where do you think my nickname came from? :grin: