Sign in to follow this  
taktik

Supersonic

Hey guys Is it me or F4:AF doesnt have that feature at all ? I went at superspeed of 650 Knots yet still no effect in the cockiptt or the outside view. Whats funny is in the setup there is that sound effect test which gives out a sonic boom.

Anyone ever tried that before?

I didn't think you heard them from inside of the cockpit. I know in Jane's FA you could only hear it on fly-by view. Have you tried that? Also, as with the supercruise post, what altitude are you trying to break the barrier at? At sea level you are looking at over 700mph

Also, I found this on Wikipedia: Modern aircraft can transit the "barrier" without it even being noticeable.

Stingray

Also, if you were measuring in IAS, unless you're at sea level, you were probably already supersonic (IAS decreases for a given Mach the higher you go).

And a lot of aircraft that are supersonic up high may not be able to go supersonic low level.

Also, what externals did you have loaded?

FC

Falcon 4 - has a different sound when in the transonic region - but pretty sure there are no graphical effects if thats what you are after

Hey Mig ,

I was actually refering to sound effects not visual , if there is any?

You won't notice a difference if you are inside the aircraft. Most aircraft pass through the Mach fairly smoothly that about the only difference you notice is the altimeter slightly spiking and a heaviness to the controls (assuming you aren't FBW)...

Also, externally, only the observer will hear a boom if you fly by them...if they are in formation, you won't hear a difference. Now, in theory, if you are hanging out in front of the aircraft in formation, you won't hear them at all, behind them, you'll hear the standard jet noise.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Think of it this way, when at mach 1 you are flying faster then the speed of sound meaning sound cannot catch up with your speed and therefor you will not hear the sound behind you. So there is no way for you to actually hear it since you are infront of the sound. Physics 101.

Think of it this way, when at mach 1 you are flying faster then the speed of sound meaning sound cannot catch up with your speed and therefor you will not hear the sound behind you. So there is no way for you to actually hear it since you are infront of the sound. Physics 101.

I agree however Falcon 4 Allied forces doesnt give away that option the sound still stays the same even after 600 Knots.

Only the mods to give away that option