Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Black Sea Floggers?

Which variants of Mig-23/27 should I use on a mid 90's conflict in the Black Sea between Russia and Ukraine? There were Mig-21 still in active?

I think some Russian and Ukraine all have some MiG-23MLD and MiG-27K,maybe some MiG-27M.

Thanks Erwin! Time to find the aproppiatte downloads for Mig-23MLD and Mig-27K and of course the cockpits too.

If i remembered right Russia phased out the single engine military jets very fast in the 90th. So no russian MiG-21 and MiG-23 and Su-17 for such a scenario. With the ukrainians i'm not sure.

If i remembered right Russia phased out the single engine military jets very fast in the 90th. So no russian MiG-21 and MiG-23 and Su-17 for such a scenario. With the ukrainians i'm not sure.

I'm sure Ukraine have some ....

mig23mld-c1.jpg

post-27883-1267458122927.jpg

post-27883-12674582624077.jpg

Some MiG-23MLD could be in Russian airforce after 1991... look at the color of Russian flag.

And don't forget this 23-98

mig23-98-3.jpg

All single-engined fighters were stored or scrapped by the Russians by 1997, so any MiG-23s/-27s/Su-17s deployed afterward would have to be "taken out of mothballs." The MiG-23-98 was only a prototype for export customers to upgrade their MiG-23s- it never entered service with anyone. As far as I know, it was the only MiG-23 that could launch R-27 (AA-10) or R-77 (AA-12) missiles. However, MiG-23MLDs did carry R-73 (AA-11) missiles- I enhanced the MiG-23MLDs in my NF4+ campaign by adding two AA-11s in place of the 4 AA-8s. They are much deadlier in a dogfight as a result.

As for Ukraine, it looks like they scrapped or stored all of their single-engined fighters by the late 90s as well. According to Wikipedia the Ukrainians also had Tu-16s, Tu-22s, Tu-22Ms, Tu-95s, and Tu-160s that were either scrapped, returned to Russia, or donated to museums around the same timeframe. I can't find any exact dates, unfortunately, but this site gives a tally of how many of each type of plane the Ukrainian Air Force had in 5-year increments:

http://www.globalsec...s-equipment.htm

Well my ideas was more about 1994 or around it, so I suspect the Flogger are still in service.