Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

Newbie pilot

Hi people,

I've got my CFS3 (CD version) sitting here and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my OFF from the States - I live in UK.

Any advice on installation and set up would be gratefully received. From what I've seen in these forums OFF seems to run on Win 7 64bit OK? If not I've got dual boot with XP sp3 32bit but would prefer to use 7.

My rig is:

Amd PhenomII X2 550 3.1 gig Does a dual core pose a problem?

Ati raedeon 4830

4gb ram.

I can't wait to get going on this sim. I fly model aircraft as a hobby and my favourite plane is the Sopwith Pup I've just finished building - soon to be joined by a DR1. I just love this era - the early days of flight. Brilliant.

Hi people,

I've got my CFS3 (CD version) sitting here and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my OFF from the States - I live in UK.

Any advice on installation and set up would be gratefully received. From what I've seen in these forums OFF seems to run on Win 7 64bit OK? If not I've got dual boot with XP sp3 32bit but would prefer to use 7.

My rig is:

Amd PhenomII X2 550 3.1 gig Does a dual core pose a problem?

Ati raedeon 4830

4gb ram.

I can't wait to get going on this sim. I fly model aircraft as a hobby and my favourite plane is the Sopwith Pup I've just finished building - soon to be joined by a DR1. I just love this era - the early days of flight. Brilliant.

Welcome Tranquillo. bye.gif

I'm no expert, but your computer stats are a lot better than mine so I reckon you'll be fine. 4Gb RAM sounds absolutely delightful. CFS3 doesn't like dual core, but I'm sure it won't slow you down if you're configured correctly. I'm XP S3, so I know that works, but haven't heard any horror stories about Windows 7 either.

It's also a forum rule that anybody new who flys model aircraft from WW1 has to post lots of pics and YouTube vids for the rest of us to 'oooh' and 'aaah' at. You have to do it, or else there's usually trouble. grin.gif

(And don't be too depressed if you've tried out vanilla CFS3. - It does get a lot better).

Edited by Flyby PC

Welcome Tranquillo. bye.gif

I'm no expert, but your computer stats are a lot better than mine so I reckon you'll be fine. 4Gb RAM sounds absolutely delightful. CFS3 doesn't like dual core, but I'm sure it won't slow you down if you're configured correctly. I'm XP S3, so I know that works, but haven't heard any horror stories about Windows 7 either.

It's also a forum rule that anybody new who flys model aircraft from WW1 has to post lots of pics and YouTube vids for the rest of us to 'oooh' and 'aaah' at. You have to do it, or else there's usually trouble. grin.gif

(And don't be too depressed if you've tried out vanilla CFS3. - It does get a lot better).

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Looking at some of the threads it looks like a bit of fiddling with the settings might be needed to get smooth running. I'm sure I'll get there in the end:dntknw:

And far be it for me to cause trouble so here's a pic.post-58142-12675736045476.jpg

Thanks, uncleal.

You're right that XP only recognises 3.5 gig of memory. I think I'll install OFF on Win 7 and see what happens. It's the OS of choice for me and I've only still got XP for some older games and bespoke software that cringe in the corner and won't come out to play when exposed to win 7.

When your copy of OFF arrives: Go into the Workshop from the Main Menu, select graphics config and set your resolution and no AA. Choose custom and set your sliders to whatever you fancy trying. Go into Overrides and deselect every check box but Dual Render.

File --> Exit and grab yourself a QC session. Hit Z to see your framerate... if it's over 40 you can relax and take your time to browse around these parts for things to try out, if not you'll have to read a bit more.

Welcome to OFF. At any graphics setting it's as immersive a sim as you'll ever find.

BTW, it's a good idea to fly at leat one CFS3 mission before loading OFF.

Edited by Dej

Thanks, uncleal.

You're right that XP only recognises 3.5 gig of memory. I think I'll install OFF on Win 7 and see what happens. It's the OS of choice for me and I've only still got XP for some older games and bespoke software that cringe in the corner and won't come out to play when exposed to win 7.

Tranquilo,

Welcome. We have essentially the same setup, and I'm having absolutely no problems with BHaH in Windows 7 64 bit.

Glad to see that Uncle Al is getting so much mileage from my post on install order. Just follow the basic installation instructions as outlined and after the Windows 7 install finishes, BHaH should be installed to C:\OBD Software. After the installion is completed, go to the C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\ directory, and check to make sure that CFS3.EXE and OFFManager.EXE are set to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility. Then setup graphics, etc.

The 4830 is an okay card, but don't be disappointed if you have to set some sliders at 3 or 4 to get decent ffps. I had decent performance with a X1950 XTX, very good performance with a 4870, and it's even better with my new 5770. BHaH depends most on a fast CPU, but a decent graphics card with 1MB memory doesn't hurt, especially with the HiTR expansion. Dual core doesn't pose any problems. Some users assign the affinity of OFFManager.exe to one core, with the OS on another, but I haven't tried that approach yet. I'm very happy with the performance as it is.

BTW, the X2 550 is a very stable CPU at clock speeds up to 3.6MHz. I'm overclocking mine to 3.6 with 1.425V (which is the top limit of normal voltage range) and it's very stable with all of my applications, including BHaH. BHaH also ran nicely at the stock 3.1MHz, so whether you decide to overclock is up to you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Hi, tranquillo, welcome over Flanders fields (soon) !

You must update/patch your CFS3 to the latest version (I think, that's 3.1)

Dual core CPU is fine, no problem. Processor speed is important.

Check the "Tips and Tricks" in the "OFF General Topics" sticky thread above,

and all help at the website:

http://www.overflandersfields.com

When you got the sim, please send me a PM with your hometown and country;

I'll add you to the OFF Forum Pilots map then.

Edited by Olham

What a great bunch you are - much helpful information.

I'll let you know when I'm set up, Olham.

BirdDogICT, I've been thinking about overclocking ever since I built this rig but it all seems a bit too technical for me. Once I've read a bit more I'll have a go but am quite happy with the performance so far.

Thanks again everyone.

tranquillo, you are going to love this sim. Also, depending on which version of CFS3 you have purchased, you may not need to install the entire program at all. If you purchased the disc set that has the updates already included all you will need to do is drop the CFS3 disc into your drive when prompted for it by the OFF installer, at which point only about three files from CFS3 will be loaded, (that's all OFF needs from CFS3 to run). After that you only need to leave the CFS3 disc in your drive when opening and running OFF.

BTW, welcome aboard tranquillo! New lads buy the drinks. drinks.gif

Cheers!

Lou

tranquillo, you are going to love this sim. Also, depending on which version of CFS3 you have purchased, you may not need to install the entire program at all. If you purchased the disc set that has the updates already included all you will need to do is drop the CFS3 disc into your drive when prompted for it by the OFF installer, at which point only about three files from CFS3 will be loaded, (that's all OFF needs from CFS3 to run). After that you only need to leave the CFS3 disc in your drive when opening and running OFF.

BTW, welcome aboard tranquillo! New lads buy the drinks. drinks.gif

Cheers!

Lou

How do I know if CFS3 needs updating without installing it first? I've looked on the box and disc and there's no mention of version number.

Feel free to buy yourself a drink - I'll pay you back later:good:

Whoops!! got that last post wrong. I'll get the hang of it one day.

BTW, it's a good idea to fly at leat one CFS3 mission before loading OFF.

It's not a good idea -It's essential!!!

By doing that you put some essential files into your registry- Files which OFF needs.

cheers

Well......guess what arrived in the post today? I have local mail that takes longer to get to me than that.

All installed OK.

A couple of problems though.

1. The keys for changing view "shift + number key" don't work and I'm confined to "eyes front"

2. Can anyone recommend a good joystick? I'm using an old Logitech Attack 3 which was donated to me but it doesn't seem to like to "attack" - it throws me into an uncontrollable spin and doesn't respond when I try to correct it.

Apart from that it all looks great.

By the way Dej, where do I look for "Overides"?

You lucky man, you got it really fast!

1. "Overrides" are found in the "Workshop" under "Graphic settings".

2. You can change all command keys easily by pressing "escape", and then assign

a new key for a command. After that, you may delete the original command key.

Please do yourself the favour to study all advice in the official website:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

You need TrackIR Tranquillo. It's a motion tracker which maps your head movements to your viewpoint on screen. Bit expensive for a gizmo, - but extremely worth it.

TrackIR is not a gizmo - it gives you the feeling to really sit in the cockpit.

That's almost essential. But yes, about 125,- Euro are not cheap.

But like OFF - worth every cent!

I've already put TrackIR on my birthday list. I can't stretch to it at the moment what with my daughter about to start University:no2:

I've already put TrackIR on my birthday list. I can't stretch to it at the moment what with my daughter about to start University:no2:

Can't seem to get the emoticons to come up - just the text?????????

Welcome to the happy house...

As to XP only accepting 3.5gig... you can get XP to accept more but it requires a transfer of files from 2003 server if I remember rightly someone advised me on it years ago on what needs to be done... I maybe wrong though... its midnight and the grey cell's are requiring a rest...

Tranquillo, that is a nice looking Sopwith Pup. 1/3 scale? Are you a RC flyer. I fly RC WW I aircraft, 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, 1/4 scale Fokker D II and a 1/4 scale Eindecker.

Rich

Tranquillo, that is a nice looking Sopwith Pup. 1/3 scale? Are you a RC flyer. I fly RC WW I aircraft, 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, 1/4 scale Fokker D II and a 1/4 scale Eindecker.

Rich

It's a 1/6 scale model. Unfortunately, although my workshop is big enough to build them, I haven't got the room to store 1/4 and 1/3 scale. I'm currently building a plane that's "vintage looking" with an open rear fuselage, next will be a DVII. Not long ago I attempted a build with working wing warping instead of ailerons. Flew OK but was very slow to respond to stick input.

You lucky man, you got it really fast!

1. "Overrides" are found in the "Workshop" under "Graphic settings".

2. You can change all command keys easily by pressing "escape", and then assign

a new key for a command. After that, you may delete the original command key.

Please do yourself the favour to study all advice in the official website:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

1. Nothing there. I can change the screen resolution, AA, and set the sliders but no mention of overides. Am I doing something wrong?

I've checked through the forum and OFF site but can't find an answer.

2. Yep, got that, thanks.

Hi,

"I can change the screen resolution, AA, and set the sliders but no mention of overides. Am I doing something wrong?"

It's not hidden, but neither is it particularly obvious! The window that pops up - bear with me, I'm at work so this is mind's eye stuff - apart from being able to slide your sliders (NB, terrain detail SHOULDN'T be above 4 afaik) there should be a wee menu bar at the top: the tickbox jobbies you're looking for are distributed through the options you find in there. Can't be more detailed, as I say, I'm at work, but you should be able to find them and amend to your heart's content. One word of warning: don't X the window to close, otherwise your changes will go West. Go to File and the Exit to get out.

HTH,

Si

Hi,

"I can change the screen resolution, AA, and set the sliders but no mention of overides. Am I doing something wrong?"

It's not hidden, but neither is it particularly obvious! The window that pops up - bear with me, I'm at work so this is mind's eye stuff - apart from being able to slide your sliders (NB, terrain detail SHOULDN'T be above 4 afaik) there should be a wee menu bar at the top: the tickbox jobbies you're looking for are distributed through the options you find in there. Can't be more detailed, as I say, I'm at work, but you should be able to find them and amend to your heart's content. One word of warning: don't X the window to close, otherwise your changes will go West. Go to File and the Exit to get out.

HTH,

Si

Thank you, you're a star. Not at all obvious but it's there.

Tranquilo,

Make sure that you have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers installed (10.2 just came out). The last 4 or 5 Catalyst versions have really improved BHaH performance. In fact, I don't use any of the overrides now, with the exception of turning off shadows and dual pass render. These two seem to be two of the biggest FPS killers with ATI cards, assuming that your sliders aren't set too high (as a frame of reference, I could run my X1950XTX at 43241 with all overrides on, my 4870 at 53355 with shadows and dual pass render off, and my 5770 at 544555 with shadows and dual pass render off).

The overrides were critical on older machines, but are less relevant if you have new equipment. Take a look at Sitting Duck's discussion of ATI overrides here:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/52999-ati-cfs3config/page__p__386881__hl__dual%20pass%20render__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=386881

The point of the discussion is that your mileage may vary!!! It takes some experiementation to hit the sweet spot. You want to shoot for the highest settings that allow smooth gameplay without any stutters. The additional eye candy with sliders at 4 or 5 is nice, BHaH still looks great with terrain and scenery at 2 or 3.

Tranquilo,

Make sure that you have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers installed (10.2 just came out). The last 4 or 5 Catalyst versions have really improved BHaH performance. In fact, I don't use any of the overrides now, with the exception of turning off shadows and dual pass render. These two seem to be two of the biggest FPS killers with ATI cards, assuming that your sliders aren't set too high (as a frame of reference, I could run my X1950XTX at 43241 with all overrides on, my 4870 at 53355 with shadows and dual pass render off, and my 5770 at 544555 with shadows and dual pass render off).

The overrides were critical on older machines, but are less relevant if you have new equipment. Take a look at Sitting Duck's discussion of ATI overrides here:

http://forum.combata..._1entry386881

The point of the discussion is that your mileage may vary!!! It takes some experiementation to hit the sweet spot. You want to shoot for the highest settings that allow smooth gameplay without any stutters. The additional eye candy with sliders at 4 or 5 is nice, BHaH still looks great with terrain and scenery at 2 or 3.

I'll do that, the latest CC I've got is Nov last year. Not too ancient but I'll update anyway.

There's enough info in the forum and OFF site to keep me busy trying different variations until I hit the jackpot.

Can't do anything 'till I get a new joystick though - this one I've got hasn't got any right aileron!

By the way, BirdDog . . I couldn't let a good write-up go to waste, I added my 2 cents, and saved the whole thing to my Documents. Hope you like it, because you'll be seeing it for a long time yet grin.gif

Glad you did. I'm not the only one here who appreciates your efforts.