Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Their Finest Hour"

Slartibartfast--Did you have a chance to fly either the Spitfire or the Hurrie? What other aircraft did you fly? Please describe, if you can, what it was like to fly any of these air-beaters!

No I never got to go up in something so special as I am not that old... but I am working on it... No I spent my 10 years in service between 1990 and 2000 but I did get to go up in a F-16 and a Tornado fighter wise so not too shabby...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Wow, Slartibartfast, the "Tornado" was always one of my favourite jet fighters.

And I always wonder, why such a craft is suddenly "out of date", when it still looks so good.

I mean, the Eurofighter may be technically better - but it looks ugly compared.

why such a craft is suddenly "out of date", when it still looks so good.

I mean, the Eurofighter may be technically better - but it looks ugly compared.

Totally agree Olham....(maybe they will let us have one, as it's so 'out of date?) :drinks:

It was the F-3 variant in the Falklands when I got to go in one....

and you are right they do look good but they aren't a great dogfighter and the airframe is over 30 years old in the design phase its nearly as old as the F-15's and it flies a lot more punishing flight regime but knowing the RAF we will keep them around like we did the Canberra's...

The Typhoon is a tremondous airplane maybe not so pretty (But thats in the eye of the beholder)... I liked what one guy who does fly it says about it "its Typhoon" like an early model F-16 mixed with a dash of F-15 and placed on a course of steroid's with no bad side-effects..."

And as to the Spit and Hurri my preference is the Mosquito...

Edited by Slartibartfast