Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

For the Bikers...

Okay as my previous bike was killed in France... I am now in a quandry between purchasing one of these 2 bikes...

My First Choice is the Aprilia Falco or a Futura (If I can find one Hen's Teeth in the UK these are better known as)...

My 2nd Choice is the Kawasaki ZX-9R

Before anyone says anything about the new bikes dont as I dont like most of them and to be honest funds will only stretch to one or the other of the above in the UK...

Okay I have researched the bikes backwards and forwards and I will be making my decison next weekend when I go SHOPPING!!! (The last is that its only Bloke shopping when Serious machinery alcohol is involved)...

Anyway anyone got any advice on the above 2 bikes ???

P.S. I know what to look for in a bad bike so just wants some honest advice...

Thanks in advance...

If you can find a Suzuki SV1000S, that is an excellent bike. Unfortunately, the owners usually know that too, so they can be expensive. The Honda VFR800 Interceptor is another nice bike in that class which is an excelent deal.

Beyond that, I've only read about other bikes in that class. I worked on a ZX-9 once, but all I remember was how much of a pain it was to get the spark plugs out and how tedious it was to sync the carbs. And I've never heard of the Aprilia Falco or Futura, over here Aprilias start out at 20 grand, so they're far out of the reach of some 16-year-old mechanic.

Make sure you take the bike for a ride, and look for shake in the steering head and flat spots in the power curve, as well as checking all the gears. Also remember to check for oil leaks and other obvious problems, and never accept "They all make that noise" answers. If you have a mechanics-savvy friend, bring him along.

Cheers Rambler... As to the mechanic savvy friend that's me I rebuilt a ZZR600D which someone had stripped down and then couldn't finish last year so I have a good understanding of what to expect... and I will be test riding what I purchase

I can only recommend Kawasaki's. I have been riding bikes since 1979 and I have had over 70-80 bikes of all sorts. Kawasaki's are my preferred make by a long way. I have had two ZX9R's and I love em. They are quite easy to work on compared to Honda's and Yamaha's. I am a bit of a retro Kwak rider though, here are mine:

zrx1100best.jpg

DSCN0443-1.jpg

DSCN0125-1.jpg

Yeah I must admit I am a Kwack head... but I am after something a bit different which is why the Falco / Futura is appealing to me...

The ZXR750 L4 - hoping to pick one up myself this year - kwacker finally sorted the linkages then stopped making them for the Zx7r.

I would suggest staying with the kwacker - looking at how mythical the aprillia's are I'm gonna guess that spares and running costs for them are going to be a bit astronomical, where as ZX9R spares is simply a breakers call away. Depends as to if you want a bit of latino flair or easy spares.

Good call on the Kwack but over here I am a stone's throw literally from the main Aprilia Dealership in Northern England... and I have a good rep going with them... As to the Kwack I know but I have had Kwack's most of my life apart from a daliance with a beautiful yellow 748 back in the late 90's :heat: and I can get my Kwack parts whenever but there is something calling me to the Aprilia I think this is a heart buy and not a head buy for a change...

Also round here the Falco's are a fairly rare breed and I love the look of it...

And I spoke to the guy who I might be buying the Aprilia off today and he went from top to tail on the bike and then sent me about 20 pictures on email of every mark on the bike... as I have found that the ZX9 I was to look at has been in a smash and the dealer cant tell me what or how badly it was smashed so I am staying away from that one...

You will regret going for Italian crap. The mean green is the way to go. :salute:

yeah yeah dont get so jealous you turn Kwacker green... :lol:

Well thats it done I am now the proud owner of an Aprilia Falco 2001 edition...

Happy is not the right word took it for a run today before the it gets it's service next week (paid for by the owner and new tyres) and I get to pick it up next Friday... Power delivery is something else... myy ZZR's where all devilishly quick but this thing is pretty damn spectacular...

I will post pic's when I take some well thats if I remember to get off the bike so they may all be at Petrol Stations...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Well here she is my mates just sent me a couple of pictures...

post-4136-12685942962137.jpg

post-4136-12685943150259.jpg

Aint she pretty...