Sign in to follow this  
Barkhorn1x

Dual Core Processors and CFS3/OFF ?

Good day all – and apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked often in the past. I am finally getting a dual core CPU – either via a new PC or an upgrade to my current PC.

Something along these lines = AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

I currently have = AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3500+ on Windows XP - and OFF is kind of slow at decent settings when down low/near the front/in a furball – basically, it’s slow when anything interesting is going on. :grin:

So…how does CFS3/OFF treat dual cores?

Any issues?

Optimization tips?

Will that new chip yield significant FPS gains?

Thanks all.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Good day all – and apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked often in the past. I am finally getting a dual core CPU – either via a new PC or an upgrade to my current PC.

Something along these lines = AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

I currently have = AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3500+ on Windows XP - and OFF is kind of slow at decent settings when down low/near the front/in a furball – basically, it’s slow when anything interesting is going on. grin.gif

So…how does CFS3/OFF treat dual cores?

Any issues?

Optimization tips?

Will that new chip yield significant FPS gains?

Thanks all.

OFF is single thread, so dual core doesn't typically improve performance. Some here on this forum have improved performance slighty by setting affinity of OFF to one core, with OS on the other core. Not sure if it's worth the effort.

Get the fastest processor your BIOS/motherboard will support. Your proposed Brisbane processor should do fine. If you can get it at a decent price, go for it.

You may need AMD's dual procesor driver...I experienced severe jitters with CFS3 before installing the driver.

FWIW, I've been running OFF with an old dual core 939 processor (Opteron 185 OC'd to 3.0 GHz) and an ATI 4870 in XP SP3 with very decent performance. I initially used a X1950XTX, and could only get decent frame rates with sliders turned way down, especially when over the front lines or in a furrball over the airfield. Upgrading to the 4870 and latest ATI drivers helped immensely. Was able to run sliders at 53355, and the only optimizations I needed were to turn off shadows and dual pass render. Resulted in average 40 FPS over the airfield.

Unfortunately, my 4870 failed after 13 months, so I built a new dual core machine with a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, AMD X2 550 OC'd to 3.6, ATI 5770, 4MB DDR3 1600 memory and Windows 7 64 bit. OFF runs like a scalded cat!!

Your mileage will, of course, vary.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Uncleal:

Thanks for the info. but I've been flying OFF/HiTR for over a year now so I am up to speed on installs/settings.

BirdDog - that CPU is indeed the max my mobo can handle and the price is $60.00 - so not too shabby. However, I may go the way of a new box if the Tax Man is good to me (fingers crossed). If i do get the new box I will probably go w/ Intel as they are faster (correct?). I'll check back when I get things sorted.

Roger on the dual processor driver.

Uncleal:

Thanks for the info. but I've been flying OFF/HiTR for over a year now so I am up to speed on installs/settings.

BirdDog - that CPU is indeed the max my mobo can handle and the price is $60.00 - so not too shabby. However, I may go the way of a new box if the Tax Man is good to me (fingers crossed). If i do get the new box I will probably go w/ Intel as they are faster (correct?). I'll check back when I get things sorted.

Roger on the dual processor driver.

Intel and AMD have historically calculated speeds differently so an apples to apples comparison is difficult. The newer AMD CPUs give good bang for the buck...I only spent $90 for a dual core CPU that easily overclocks to 3.6 on air and nominal voltage. The same CPU wil all four cores enabled is about $170. The ASUS motherboard was also a bargain at $98. I used 4GB of G.Skill DDR3 memory OC'd to 1600, cost me $60. At those prices, I have a hard time making a case for buying Intel. Can't believe the bargain prices on quality equipment lately.

The newer AMD CPUs give good bang for the buck...

Thanks for the tip. Will check out AMD.

Great news for me :clapping: A NEW PC it will be.

So..question = How does OFF like Windows 7?

Issues?

Solutions?

Great news for me :clapping: A NEW PC it will be.

So..question = How does OFF like Windows 7?

Issues?

Solutions?

I've got OFF running on Win 7 64bit no problem. Make sure to set OFF and CFS3 to run as administrator.

I've got dual core also - no problem.

I've got OFF running on Win 7 64bit no problem. Make sure to set OFF and CFS3 to run as administrator.

I've got dual core also - no problem.

Excellent news. :good: Cannot wait to fly at high settings w/ no issues.

Another little goody, that you can safely avail yourself of when you're running Windows 7

Please read Tips & Cheats #49, and proceed without fear drinks.gif

Uncleal:

Was that post #49 or tip #49 as I'm nit sure what you meant?