Sign in to follow this  
zoomzoom

KLAXON HORNS

Just another idea for the Dev's in upcoming phases. Been running into this again and again in my reading, that two seaters for both sides used these very loud horns in the two seaters to signal both each other and ground troops with sema-phore like honks and blasts. Kinda cool. That and flares.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

Never heard of that, but it sounds like a good idea

I't'd be nice to actually control Artillary Fire with Flares when on spotting missions

Usually, all I'm searching, will be found somewhere in "Wikipedia".

But I found no WW1 Klaxon horns, nor anything near it?

In "Google Pictures" I only find more modern horns or old car and truck horns.

Gee, guess I'll have to pore back through my reading an find them. I know one of them was in the rather large but very good title that just came out in the last few years called "The Somme". Some grisly reading and first hand accounts listed, but I recommend it to you all. Nonetheless it mentioned aircraft signalling troops with the Klaxon, as did ernst Junger's Storm of Steel. Let me look and see if I can find a quote....there were others elsewhere as well.

ZZ.

Thats possible. the multiple accounts i've read describe it as a Honking sort of sound, and the device is run off of a 12 volt battery. One search I did related it to submarines, so it coulda been like that "dive" alarm type horn as well. Like I said, when i have time i will try to find at least one of the references I happened across.

ZZ.

Might be interesting to hear some from time to time, but not sure it would add much if you had to make the sounds. Flares are in there already, select them as a load out on most 2 seaters and some single seaters (DH2 for example).

Good Point Pol. I mean really, how long would they really be "laying on the horns" anyway.....so flares would likely be much more realistic "in Sim". Here's a quick link to an account...."just for the sake of historical interest".

http://books.google.com/books?id=13_NgEr8lxkC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=using+klaxon+horn+WWI&source=bl&ots=k9CFE_T_p1&sig=YDGIDU_sWPEFdcASmXSOWhOjl64&hl=en&ei=e1CqS5zBH8P-8AbK7PC8BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CB4Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Its breifly mentioned towards the bottom of the page.

ZZ.

I have trouble reading about the Somme battle. It makes me want to go and shoot a General (one of 'ours' of course). How so-called 'leaders of men' could be so callous to their own soldiers I find very hard to believe, yet it happened time and time again throughout the war.

No wonder soldiers looked upwards to see a cleaner type of war, even if it did rely on shooting your opponent in the back. It was at least more individual combat rather than thousands of soldiers sinking in the mud.

On the subject of getting the attention of troops on the ground, Bill Lambert of 24 sqn fired across the bows (so to speak) of advancing British soldiers to draw their attention to an anti-tank gun in a wood.