Sign in to follow this  
Sokol

pointing to cockpits ?

Hi,

is it possible to point to ANY cockpit in ANY folder to provide the appropriate workstation for the pilots ? i understand that it is possible to point to one of the default cockpits, but i would like to point to each. the idea is to create a seperate "cockpit-"folder (like decals, pilots etc.) and to concentrate the add-on pits there so that i may use any of them just by changing the reference-line in the aircraft.ini. especially useful for the mass of MiG-fighters.

cheers

sokol

Try it yourself and see what happens.

You can either edit the main aircraft ini (say F-51D.INI) to point at a different COCKPIT.INI file (and maybe a different AVIONICS.INI file).

Or within the COCKPIT.INI file, type out the path name for the cockpit LOD file.

But, you may have to change the path references for all the avionic bitmaps...which may need editing in the AVIONICS.INI and COCKPIT.INI files.

Also, if the cockpit you are using has hardpoint indicators, you may end up with strange results if you try to use a common COCKPIT.INI file because the hardpoint (Weapon Station) references may be different for each aircraft.

FC

As far as I've ever seen, all the bits for a cockpit MUST be in the /cockpit sub-folder of the aircraft's main folder.

However, there is ONE AI aircraft that dosen't need this in stock merged SF2 series installs -- all the Hunters. For the Iraqi, Jordanian, Lebonanese, can all point back to the RAF FGA.9.

All the MiGs, OTH, do require individual cockpit folder and inis placed with the aircraft folder.

Again, like FC said, you can try a Objects/Cockpits subfolder, with corrected paths (including ALL lod references in the cockpit.ini -which MUST remain in the aircraft folder), and see what happens.

wrench

kevin stein

thx guys.

the idea was to leave nothing in the individual aircraft folder. i have tried different ways - to no avail. it works with stock cockpits, it does not work with add ons.

cheers

sokol

Yes it does, at least for SF1. SF2+ may have newer avionics features that I don't know how they work.

I have SF on D: drive.

Also on D: drive are two folders called A and AA.

Folder A is for cockpits. Folder AA is for loading bmps.

In folder A, I have sub-folders for all aircraft that have unique aspects to their cockpit. For example, MiG-15, MiG-17F, MiG-19S, and SM-12 all use the same pit (mutated F-86Dora pit by DogSabreTeam). In these MiGs' cockpit.ini's and avionics.ini's, I point them all to D:\ A \ MiG-15 \ Cockpit. You MUST also point everything in AVIONICS to the new folder.

Same with MiG-17PF, MiG-17PFU, MiG-19P, and MiG-19PM. All are directed to MiG-17PF cockpit sub-folder in folder A which uses the same Dora pit except with the radar showing.

You may run into issues of very *slight* differences required between aircraft types. I'd like to change the fuel guage to show more fuel in MiG-19 than MiG-15. But that would require another cockpit sub-folder in A. Its a tossup and I may do that.

For loading screens, I point each aircraft to AA....example: LoadingScreen= D: \ AA \ F-106A.bmp

In the AA folder, there are just a ton of bmp pictures. No sub folders. I do this to make SF game folder as small as possible. I backup my stuff alot, and many of you will giggle at me for doing so until you join The List :lol: , and its fast to backup a small SF game if I don't add loading screens and cockpits in a while. Basically, splitting the game up like this allows selective backups of major changes.

My aircraft have no Cockpit folders. At anytime I can change it all back if for some reason it does not work out in the long run, but I do like the small game size this allows now.