Sign in to follow this  
Barkhorn1x

Assistance Please – Sim will no longer loads!

Now I need help. So…this morning, just like every morning, I fire up OFF/HiTR, go to Quick Combat and set up a 6 vs 6 w/ my QC pilot. Now, instead of getting the “flames” splash screen and then the “grey/black” flash screen, the cursor sits there on a black screen going round and round forever.

So, I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to Task Manager and I notice about two dozen Rundll processes running and not stopping.

I have made NO changes to OFF between yesterday and this morning and the only change to my system was a Windows update. I am running W7 Home edition 64 bit. Anyone have an insight/solution here.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Is this only happening with OFF?

Disable your Internet Security software.

Roll back if possible to a time before the update.

Try with other pilot.

Don't use TrackIR. Disconnect USB devices just in case...

Just ideas....

EDIT: What happen if you end the runndll processes in task manager?

Do you have installed any process manager?

Edited by Von Paulus

Is this only happening with OFF?

Disable your Internet Security software.

Roll back if possible to a time before the update.

Try with other pilot.

Don't use TrackIR. Disconnect USB devices just in case...

Just ideas....

Didn't really try any other programs. And I did have the internet disconnected, and my AV program shut down and no TIR - same issue. Hmm...wonder if that W7 "update" somehow caused a conflict.

OK - going to:

- Try another program that I know worked

- Disable Windows Defender and see what happens

...stay tuned and thanks for your help.

Does this silence mean, you've reinstalled your system?

Latest update:

- Tried other programs (Il-2, ETW) - all work fine

- Windows Defender is not part of W7 so that's not it

- I replaced the executables w/ back-ups - no joy

- Compatility mode made the issue worse - from 50% CPU usage up to 97%

Thinking about this - I can navigate OFF Manager just fine. It is only when I access CFS3.EXE that I have issues. And I am using the old two disc CDs. And, when I go into Task Manager to kill these processes and I kill CFS3.EXE I receive an error message about needing the disc in the drive. So...could it be a disc issue - or even a disc drive issue?

OK:

- I will test out the drive this evening

- I will try cleaning the disc

- I just ordered the DVD version of CFS3 from Amazon - (saw BirdDogICT's review)-in case I need to go the reinstall route.

Can anyone suggest a registry cleaner that works w/ Windows 7 if I need to go that route?

Thanks.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Can anyone suggest a registry cleaner that works w/ Windows 7 if I need to go that route?

I don't advise any Registry Cleaners. Don't trust them. Whenever I feel I need a registry cleaner, I just do a clean install. It's painful, but it will works.

Not that I'm suggesting you to take that route. It's too soon for you to have to do it. You've your machine for 2/3 months right? I don't think you're one of those crazy lunatics that when browsing through Internet, accepts every kind of thing. You seem to have knowledge above average about computers. So....

I'll PM you with one thing you might try, just to discard that might be the protection scheme.

Edited by Von Paulus

TY - and yes I do not d/l anything from the net that I do not fully trust and I use PC Doctor AV which is very good.

So...I still have some things to try and we will see what happens here.

All sorted now. :good:

As I deduced, it was a case of either dust on the CD disc or the DVD player not reading the disc for some strange reason. So:

- Cleaned the disc

- Put it back in the player

- Went to explore to view the contents to make sure the player was reading the disc OK

- Fired up OFF and problem solved

...to be safe I still have the DVD version on order for P4 and I have that other thing in case my disc goes south.