Sign in to follow this  
rabu

TrackIR Clip? Advice needed

Tried to post this earlier and the site crashed!

I have TrackIR5 with a ball cap spring clip. Not thrilled about wearing a hat, but it's ok and wireless.

I've started wearing my Grado Labs headset after updating my old SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card to a SB X-Fi Xtreme Music card that has pretty amazing surround effects through headphones.. I'm impressed. Since I'm now using the head phones a lot, the Trackclip would be sensible in that respect.

Anyway, would like to get some feedback from those of you who have actually used a clip on reflector for TrackIR Vector TIR3, 4 or 5 and then switched to the TrackClip unit.

Does it really improve tracking that much, or is it mainly an advantage in poor lighting situations?

Does the USB cord get in the way? (Don't know why they couldn't have gone cordless, it seems like the three diodes would be very low currant draw and require a very small battery)

Is it worth $35 + $15 = about $50? Seems pretty expensive for a couple of glowing diodes.

Thanks for your input.

Don't have any experience with the USB thingy, but on a whim decided to just attach the hat clip to the headband on my headset. Just clips right on with a bit of bending. Works well.....particularly if you find wearing a Toronto Blue Jays ballcap in the cockpit of a Tripe is just plain silly....not to mention it's damed uncomfortable when you add a headset to the mix.

"Sunnhiesers"??? Someone sold you a very badly made copy, I'm afraid, Unc! grin.gif

RABU, the Pro Clip seems to be able to get attached to headphones, so that you would

still only have one wire line. See here:

I have no experience with it though - I'm running the TIR 4 hardware with the TIR 5 software

and I'm very happy with that. Set it up to your likes (especially "Speed" and "Smoothness"),

and you'll love it.

I would hate to be wired.

Edited by Olham

Hi rabu,

I can't comment on the difference because I never used the reflective hat arrangement. However, I did look into building a diode array for "Freetrack" before buying TrackIR, and you're right - they don't take much power at all. Although I haven't looked in a while, the diodes themselves require (probably) 2-5V and if memory serves most LED's draw about 20mA current. So, you'd need a battery capable of, say 2V at 60mA.

There are *lots* of web sites, forums postings, etc. about building the whole shebang...mostly what you pay for is the exact physical arrangement of the LEDs and clip assembly (plus the cost of "not having to screw with it" *lol*). Point is, if you wanted to use the actual TrackClip and just dispose of the extra wire, I'm absolutely sure you can do it. Of course, you now have that battery strapped to your noggin somehow. MIght not seem like much, but it might bother you. I recall seeing pics of several different arrangements for doing it, posted by freetrack users.

To be accurate, my TrackIR was sold with the TrackClip Pro, so I never had to 'decide', really. That being said, I'm a trained electronics tech with 30 years experience...I would've chosen the "not having to screw with it" approach - for what it's worth :grin:

I hope that helps answer your question.

Edited by Tamper

Some people say, that's what I read, that with the LED it's more accurate, and it's less dependable of the right light conditions.

To be honest, my TrackIR was shipped with the Pro Clip, so I've never used the reflective. In Summer with hot temperatures the hat would bother me.

Edited by Von Paulus

rabu,

I tried both and found the extra cord hanging from the headphones was not really a hassle.

It really depends on your environment. I live alone, so I don't have to worry about putting up heavy black plastic to blackout the room, so the lighting conditions wasn't a factor in my choice (though if you DO have marginal lighting conditions or other factors to consider, the clip might be useful to you). I also don't require headphones as the sound is not a bother to others, so there's no need to wear headphones (but if you fly offline, and audio transmission between pilots is possible, you might need headphones, or if your loved ones are asleep or watching TV, you might need them).

So the only consideration to me was the cable from the headphones. You can attach it to your headphone cable with a few cable ties so that it isn't getting in your way (of course the headphone cable gets in your way too). It isn't "heavy" and putting an extra strain on your headset or your neck muscles. The cable is long enough so that it you won't have to adjust your seating position or worry about anything else.

It really comes down to choice. I have both. I tried the pro clip once, never used it again. I'll be truthful, that was largely due to the desire to not wear headphones. If you prefer (or need) to wear headphones, this device might work well for you. But all other variables aren't a problem. The proclip works well in light or dark conditions, but so does the hat clip (as long as you don't have any light sources directly behind you).

You felt strongly enough to ask the opinion of your good friends here, so it wasn't a case of "I'll buy it and try it out". That to me appears as if you are happy with the performance of the cap clip, and might be not real flush with cash (as that factor entered into the equation).

My recommendation... don't buy it. What you have works well, and it might be a sacrifice to cough up the extra bucks. Save your money. This is of course only my humble opinion. The pro-clip works perfectly straight out of the box...nothing wrong with it at all. It's jus a matter of preference, and from my experience, it seems as if it might be a waste of money to you.

That's the reason I'm known as RADAR Man in my community. I went outside to the group mailbox area, wearing it.

lol.gifrofl.gif

rofl.gifUncleAl, the notorious RADAR MAN! Perhaps you print this Jpeg out and stick it on your cap? rofl.gif

Guest British_eh

Hi there R,

I've used both, and from what I've read, you do get a broader range using the hat clip. I now have the headphones, as heat isn't too big an issue, ( I keep the window open as the Vid card heats too much,), and found that I had to tweak the Track Clip pro a bit more, to get the best settings. The other issue to consider, is what to do with your headphones, when not using them? Will kids be mucking with them? I've broken one TCP already, so, be aware they are quite fragile, vs the metal hat clip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

British_eh

Thanks for all your comments and I really enjoyed the funny ones... I've been tempted to actually wear my black "Natural Point: cap with it's silver lined brim and silver letter, with the spring clip out in public some time just to see who might approach me knowing what it is.. but then, I'm also afraid I might get questioned by the police or worse..

I think I'm going to save the money and use it for a dearly needed video card up grade, that will probably make a much bigger difference in everything. The hat with clip and the light weight head phones worn over the hat are actually quite comfortable and it works well so far. The biggest problem I found was that I was sitting to close to the screen. In TrackIR5, when I get it set up right, I found that when I move the screen back to where the red arrows show up in the test screen, that seems to be the ideal distance. I then make sure when the game starts, to sit back that far and hit the F12 to center the view, and all works well.

BUT... I'm still having other hardware problems though, I'll start a new thread on that.

Again, thanks all. :salute:

Rabu,

I just posted a little summary of my advice, but it disappeared into the ether. I recommend using the Cap Spring Clip and NOT the LED Pro attachment (the one on the headsets.) The LED's are obscured from the camera when you turn your head to the left, so the range of movement for the LED's is reduced. If an LED becomes obscured, then the view gets disturbed and confused, and my life has enough disturbance and confusion as it is. With the hat clip, the range of movement covered is symmetrical, unlike with the LEDs, and wearing a cap is more intuitive and more stable than many headset fittings.

Getting rid of the wires to headphones and LED clip was great, and I think using stereo speakers provides more information about which way you are looking than wearing headphones.

I have TrackIR4 Pro, and use Track IR4 and 5 software. The latter make no difference when set up properly.

Regards,

George.

Edited by GeorgeBoles

Rabu,

I just posted a little summary of my advice, but it disappeared into the ether. I recommend using the Cap Spring Clip and NOT the LED Pro attachment (the one on the headsets.) The LED's are obscured from the camera when you turn your head to the left, so the range of movement for the LED's is reduced. If an LED becomes obscured, then the view gets disturbed and confused, and my life has enough disturbance and confusion as it is. With the hat clip, the range of movement covered is symmetrical, unlike with the LEDs, and wearing a cap is more intuitive and more stable than many headset fittings.

Getting rid of the wires to headphones and LED clip was great, and I think using stereo speakers provides more information about which way you are looking than wearing headphones.

I have TrackIR4 Pro, and use Track IR4 and 5 software. The latter make no difference when set up properly.

Regards,

George.

Thanks George, glad I didn't spring for the led version, my TIR5 seems to be working fine, the more I play with it.

As to the headphones... some day I will have the room for a surround system, right now I have a three piece Klipsch THX series speaker system and am really pleased with it. When I eventually go to surround I will probably just add two more of the Klipsch speakers for the rear. Amazingly, wearing my Grado Labs headphones with my SB X-Fi card set to surround sound I get a very believable surround sound effect.. don't know how they managed to do it but it works. It also keeps my wife happy, which is vital for WWI flying survival . :grin: