Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

Microsoft Flight Sim Discussion

Well, seeing as there are a few of us here who play MS Flight Sim, I figured we should start a general topic about it. Rather then having a bunch of separate threads, that is. I don't think there are enough of us to justify that.

Anyways, I run Flight Sim 2004, bone stock aside from a few add-on planes. I really enjoy it, but I always wondered about a few things. First, there was the stability of the Piper Cub, but that was addressed in another topic. The other plane I was wondering about was the Curtiss Jenny. I have a full-size joystick, rudder pedals and a throttle quadrant, but I still find it next to impossible to keep the J4N straight on takeoff roll. Once in the air with some speed, things even themselves out, but does anybody know any tricks for getting off the ground gracefully?

Okay I use FSX but I have owned MS Flight sim since the mid 80's back when there was a WW1 simulator in it... As to what addons I have quite a lot ranging from about 150 Aircraft give or take 20... I have a freight mod forgotten what its called now...

Best advice I have on the old Jenny but its been awhile is I find a slow increase in throttle and make sure your counteracting with rudder until you reach full power you should find though that you can take off with around 80% power... Also remember that if there is any wind involved unless its straight on is going to give you problems... With the old Tail draggers I rarely use full power on take off once in the air at about 30feet I generally find I am at full power then so there is no issues... Only time I have problems like above is when taking off at altitude...

Yeah, that works. Takes a bit of field, but it works. As for the wind, I found that at about half throttle, the J4N will windvane pretty well right into the wind, so if there's no ATIS, I do that. Unfortunately there are none of the usual clues to indicate wind direction (flags, smoke, trees, grass, cows, etc.), so it can become a guessing game.

I just finished a nice two-hour IFR hop over some mountains in a Convair 580 (Thanks, CalClassic Propliners!), my first full IFR flight. It's fun, a sort of addictive fun. The plane is awesome too, I love the high-aspect wing and those big Allisons. It's even better because my Dad used to do the wiring in CV 5800s, the stretched version of the 580. Anyways, It's a good first airliner, seeing as I can't stand flying 737s.

[shameless plug] http://www.calclassic.com/ [/shameless plug]

Must admit I have an updated CV580 as well as the baby CV240 in my collection and I love using them for the Air Hauler Addon I have... they are good birds to fly... And I am with you on the 737-whatevers... I don't fly them at all... But I love flying old world props and CalClassic is a good site to get airplanes of vintage from...

Also I prefer flying in the Mountains (Nepal or similar) or over Alaska so some of the little planes have a few problems also as I use real weather icing can get to be an issue...

I still remember my first full VFR Flight in 2004 (I dont count early than that as the weather wasn't too great until 2004) god what a nightmare JFK to Seattle with a fully laden DC-10. Take off in heavy rain climb up to 35000ft and then landing through a snow storm with a full automated ILS landing had to otherwise no way was I landing that bird... It was rather how should I say this FOGGY!!! I think I could just make out the field at around 2000ft forward and down vis... for my first autoland it went pretty smooth... The DC-10 was an SGA one I think... been a few years... but ever since then on flights if the aircraft has autoland I set-up for it just in case most times I run the ILS in and land manual but there have been times landing in fog that its come in handy...

Wow, I don't even know how to use autoland... I just tune into the glideslope on the VOR and hope I see the runway before overshoot. That's why I like the Convair... Nice and slowww...

I usually just VFR around in prop-bangers anyway. I always run out of time for the cross-countries.

Me I love the old Prop heavies and if its got a boat shaped hull attached even more so I have the Catalina and the Hu-16 addons, also the older Jetliners like the DC-10 and also some of the smaller newer jets like the Embraers... Along with most of the Turboprops. I rarely fly for over 2 hours but I do use the speed increase as of FSX it runs to x16 with the Autopilot if I am flying an Airhauler flight... But as far as I am concerned if it has wings and an engine or 3 I am happy...

As to Autoland I must admit I found it by accident...

Aha! I figured out how to use the glideslope indicator on the artificial horizon, just like in the real 727! Good thing, too, because the IFR approach into Eureka, California was hairy to say the least.

It's a neat thrill, coming down through clouds, mountains all around you, and not a mile of visibility in front of you. You follow the instruments as best you can, then you break out at 700 feet AGL and poof! The runway is right there, all lined up perfectly.

I'm also thankful for the reverse thrust on the big 501-Ds. Eureka does not have a long runway, and there's just water at the end! Actually, the Convair always surprises me at the tight spots it can fit into. Boy, this is fun!

Been away from the boards for too long it seems. Surprised that I'm not the only active FS "pilot" around here that still uses FS9.

I'm running a VA that operates in Central and South America, Lagoon Transport, that operates in slightly less than legitimate manor. The best part is that we operate everything from the Caravan to a L-1011 and helos. Most of the fleet are DeHaviland Twin Otters with a couple of Dash 7's along with CV-580 and 640's. The challenge for us is not the airframes,it's landing in jungle strips with real weather and little to no NAVAIDS, just a GPS map or FS Nav to point the way. If you have not tied online flying you are missing out, that's where the fun is and the REAL interaction with pilots.

Okay this is for Rambler,

The trick is knowing when to add power on final, make sure you know the max speeds for flaps and gear, I usually add one notch of flap at 250 KIAS and just before turning on final. As I line up I start pulling off the throttle and adding flap so that when I'm at 1 mile I am as dirty as I can get. Depending on you instruments, watch your VSI if you start sinking quickly add power and raise your nose a bit. The trick is to be fast enough to stay aloft but not gain altitude. You'll have to play with the stick and throttle all the way down and your DME (if you have it)and needles are your friends. Along with that it's practice,practice,practice. I started with the King Air and went on the Lear before I was comfortable to do the Heavies.

If you do like heavies go here and get the BAC 1-11, full panel, working VC and working APU to power the systems on the ground

http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/bac_1-11.htm

This is not a kick the tires and light the fires bird. You have to use the check lists and the panel is all "steam gauges",all first and second generation Jet liner technology.

I know this jet very well I remember flying it back in the days when I was on FS9 (Shame my discs corrupted and someone was nice at Xmas giving me FSX...). If you have a place for an FSX Pilot then I could be in but it will have to wait for a few months as I am in the process of moving... from UK to Austria. I also have all those planes in my setup and I love challenging flying... and as to weather no navaids no problems I am normally found loitering around the Himalaya's in either a twin otter or a Dash 8... its interesting taking off in a Valley and having to circle above the field to gain height up to 8000agl before being able to head in the direction you need to... even more interesting using the older props as well... which don't really have the power to get up there... yes Grumman Goose I am looking at you...

Had a blast flying the Tomcat through the Grand Canyon, pretending to be in Area 88 or something. Immature, but fun.

Love flying a fast jet up there or should that be down there... normally its something like a Tomcat but occasionally I try out the Vulcan Bomber with one rule... No going over the top of the walls unless terrain forces you to do so...