Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Navy QF-4 question

I know that, like the Air Force, the Navy used QF-4s (in this case F-4Bs, F-4Ns, and F-4Ss). What I don't know is did the Navy use them in the same manner? All the pictures I've seen of the NAVAIR QF-4s have ejection seats but they have bright day-glo orange, so did they expend them as targets or did they just launch smaller target drones? And what has become of these aircraft since the Navy ended their QF-4 program?

they used them both as full scale target drones and to test new ordinance and equipment. a QF-4S even tested a russian anti-radiation missle while they were still active. more details to follow.

as to the what became of them those that weren't expended as FSATs (full scale airborne targets) were retired for a second time to the boneyard at Davis Monathan in Arizona. but most were shot down over the pacific esp. the QF-4B/N models.