Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Our next really BIG war?

Very interesting article I found at Techcentral. It goes hand in hand with an article I read recently about the Chinese making a "reunifacation" law that would be a "legal" justifacation for attack. This all reminds me of the buildup to attack in Europe by Germany prior to WW2. I have to question American resolve to defend Taiwan right now too. During the coldwar, Taiwan would have been defended simply because it was anti-communist. Now we are stretched thin with Iraq, Afganistan, Bosnia, etc. thanks to Clinton. The Chinese have to see this as thier best opportunity to bring the island back under thier control. The economic rewards are greater than even Hong Kong, which provides further incentive to them.

Their navy obviously still isnt a match for ours, in either numbers or technology. But they can focus their power in a small area of ocean, and all they have to do is get a large army across the straight quickly and half the battle is won, even if they are cut off from further resupply/reinforcement. What's America going to do then, another blokade like Cuba? Try to starve the Chinese out? That wont work cause you'll starve the indigeneus population too. As far as their technology goes, just because its behind the curve doesnt mean it aint still deadly. Ask a sailor on a boat which has just been hit with a silkworm what he thinks about their technology lag.

I personally beleive we have a responsibility to defend Taiwan. Its a matter of principle if nothing else. We cant allow dictators of the communist Chinese stripe to subjugate the people of Taiwan. If the island wants to reunite peacefully thats different, thats their choice. If they are willing to consider it, the US should broker the talks and see that Taiwan isnt taken to the cleaners and her people's freedom is secured properly, unlike HongKong's. But if we do go to war with China over this issue, it will have to be for the long haul, something Americans dont seem to have the grit for these days.

it will have to be for the long haul, something Americans dont seem to have the grit for these days

We have not had that grit since hanoi jane,ted kennedy,john kerry (funny he keeps coming up as anti US military)ramsey clark and that bunch..that is EXACTLY what the north viets Counted on and it IS what the allah akbar people are counting on too..too bad for the taiwanese ..the chicoms can NOT stand toe to toe with the US,but you are quite right that Locally they CAN do rather good,tho I think the taiwanese wont be such a pushover as the chicoms might think....then again to those folks 50K or more casualties are problly quite acceptable..I allways heard that politics stopped at the waters edge,we are neck deep IN the water now and those folks in dc are playing PURE politics,not a good example to our enemies,actually it could be considered aiding the enemy but what do I know,Im just a ex 11B(two tour nam,FULL 13 month ones) that got re-treaded to be a Naval Aviation Ordnanceman

The US has tried to remove dictatorships many times, some were regimes the US itself had installed which turned sour, lost many of its young men in the process, and all those countries where the US "won" are now independent and do not give a cent for the US. That, unfortunately, is the truth.

I think your right scout, the nationalist chinese do have a smart military. We operated with their navy on several occasions and they knew what they were doing. With the possible exception of Israel, I dont think an old FRAM destroyer was ever so ably manned.

Here's an interesting link... ROC vs PRC.

Another link... Republic of China Navy.

Im curious about your comments Nick. Im not sure I understand where your coming from or how your comments relate to the topic of Taiwanese defence and the likelihood of war with PRC. Do you think the Republic of China is a dictatorship? Its officers are voted in to my knowledge since the death of Chiang Ki Chek. America has helped to guarantee Taiwan's safety since the Nationalist army's retreat to formosa back in 1949. But we have hardly installed its goverment. Just unsure... :unsure:

Chinese won't attack Taiwan. Or maybe they will. They're so unpredictable now.

I'm Chinese and I don't like what's going on back there. (I'm in Canada)

Im curious about your comments Nick. Im not sure I understand where your coming from or how your comments relate to the topic of Taiwanese defence and the likelihood of war with PRC. Do you think the Republic of China is a dictatorship? Its officers are voted in to my knowledge since the death of Chiang Ki Chek.

I think nick was refering to the fact that a lot of those nations we liberated(for the price of a little piece of land for our dead) DID turn their back on this country,the french definetly a prime example of this..a lot of others tho HAVE been right there with us,I recall working with ROK's in nam,man they did not take crap from charlie or even sir charles,there were also the Thais..in iraq we Do have a lot of countries doing what they can,but yeah some countries have 'used' our power then not even a kiss and GFY...in taiwan there have been a few nice pics of their congress folks fighting on the floor..wonder what would have been said if Dick Chenney had punched leahy in the mouth instead of telling him go do what is natural to leahy and a few others lol....even little ole el salvador and the dominican republic sent troopers to iraq..and yes I stand by what I said,the chicoms would have a difficult time taking on the ROC's..