Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Lightning in OFF?

Just curious.

Is lightning modelled in OFF?

I am sometimes seeing parts of cumulus-like clouds 'lighting up'. Wasn't sure if it was meant to happen or if my grpahics card settings need tweaking.

Thing is, I dived beneath the clouds to avoid any harmful convection effects, got bracketed by AA and was hit.

I fly 'Die Roll on Death' (I know - some people view it as cheating) and got away with a 'captured but escaped after 20 days'. As this is my first campaign pilot I was quite pleased.

I'm thinking of climbing above the things next time!

Wayfarer

Wayfarer: I fly 'Die Roll on Death' (I know - some people view it as cheating)

Wayfarer, I think cheating is only when you try your outmaneuver your own personal rules in life.

When you say to yourself, well, I need to develop my abilities, but therefor I need some time to get there,

these settings are absolutely okay. Once you have "grown" into it, you will set it up harder anyway.

We are not real life pilots, who only get one chance - and maybe die after short time.

The devs have given so many setting choices in "Workshop" to us with good reason:

because this sim, in kind of "full reality settings" is so damn hard, a newbie would be dead the same day,

a veteran in a week, and an ace in two months.

I have never survived for only even one year; or if so, it was, because I was a POW for the rest of the war.

I'd like to recommend to everyone: set the sim up to your personal needs firstly, to avoid early frustrations.

Sooner or later will come the point, when you WANT it harder and closer to reality.

Sound advice and information, uncleal and Olham.

Wayfarer, I fly the Die Roll setting too. I feel it is closer to the RL outcomes that occurred than the DiD setting.

If you see lighning in the screen, pull the plug on your monitor...an electrical fire is brewing. Just kidding. Anyway, cool as it would be, I myself have never seen lightning in OFF over hundreds of missions. Probably just some graphics weirdness, as you said.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The weird thing about the 'lightning' is that it really looks like cloud-flash lightning and I have only seen it with the right type of clouds.

It's a good point about the maximum ceiling. I am flying early on and I'm sure those deep clouds reach higher than I guess!

As for the settings, I certainly need to give myself a chance. My friends can confirm I've been notoriously bad at these things since the old Atari days!

We recently stayed with a friend who has CFS3 ETO with a force feedback joystick. Couldn't take off in a Spitfire for love nor money. Ploughed the starboard wing into the deck every time. I couldn't get used to the stick having a life of its own and kept letting it have its own way!

By the way, I only realised this week about personal conversations. I found I had notifications from a couple of people from a little while back. So apologies for not having responded, I wasn't deliberately ignoring anyone.