Sign in to follow this  
GHunter

Dimming lables

Greeetings all.

I remember seeing somwhere that the lables can be dimmed but after reviewing the tips cheats I have not been able to find it. Can someone please tell me how to dim the lables? I try not to use them all teh time, and when I do, they are way to bright and dominate the screen.

thanks,

G H

Thanks Al. I have that bit down; TAC in in lower left and the digital gas gauge and ammo count in lower right. Just wanted to dim the lables. I saw a post from Olham somewhere saying he had done it...................

G H

Hi Ghunter, what you need to do is change the colour settings in your viewui.xml file. Now before you mess with the settings save the original.

NOT THE FILE IN THE GAME. you must change the ViewUI.xml file in your hidden file called App Data NOT the Viewui.xml file in your OBD game file

Edited by Red-Dog

Von Bauer posted the following for dimming labels.......

I like to be able to ID the aces as well as my flight mates (I count noses on the way home to know who, if anyone, I lost). About 1/3 of the way down the ViewUI file (XP users, BOOTDRIVE:\Documents and Settings\your user folder\Application Data[a hidden folder]\Microsoft\CFSWWI Over Flanders Fields) you'll find the color settings for the labels. I use 0x2FCCCCCC for the Friend, Enemy, Bogie and Goal colors. That renders all AI labels the same from any distance. The two numbers after the 0X are the level of transparency, 00 being invisible and FF being 100% opaque. 2F makes them clear enough to be read without having to pause the game but at the same time they're not overwhelming in a dogfight (i.e. you'll usually see the plane before the label...and if you're looking for the labels I hope you've filled out your will before taking off). I find this a good compromise between the full DiD standard and a playable game. It's also a good middle ground for those wishing to work their way up to full DiD without having to go off labels cold turkey. Of course, you may want to modify the specifics to suit you, should you even choose to try this at all. Another side of this is that it makes the information lines ("you hit enemy aircraft", "structure damage",etc.) the same as the labels, so they're not gone but they're not in your face.

The waypoint advisory lines are still a solid red.:dntknw:

I think that pretty well explains it, Von Bauer came up with this last year when we were flying multiplayer. You can fool around a little with the color codes if you want or just make them more transparent.

Hope this is the post you were looking for.

Beard

OK. thanks for the info. A little over my head, but I'll look into it.

I do want to ween myself from the labels but for now they have been a good help for survival. I think my longest living pilot made it to 8 hrs. flying time before a mid air with an albatros. Without the lables he wouldn't have made it that long.

GH,

I use this mod and it's absolutely excellent, as you can't tell from the TAC who's a friend and who's the enemy....very scary. Equally, having to squint or peer hard at the labels on the planes as they slowly hove into view is also unnerving, but means that the damn labels don't distract.

The relevant bit of XML is:

<Colors FriendColor="0x1FCCCCCC" EnemyColor="0x1FCCCCCC" TargetColor="0x1FFFFF00" BogieColor="0x1FCCCCCC" GoalColor="0x1FCCCCCC" HumanFriendColor="0X1f00FFFF" HumanEnemyColor="0x1f00FFFF"/>

which is easy to find and mod (having saved the original file, natch!).

If mucking about with files sounds a bit worrisome, then PM me with your email address and I'll happily email the relevant file to you.

Cheers,

Si

Interesting note. I made the color changes to the file as noted above. Saved it to the game directory but it didn't take. Well I found a couple of other copies in various folders and changed them, but here is where I got stupid. While reviewing the information not only did I change the color codes but I also thought I would try and reduce the size of the TAC screen so I reduced the size in the file. Well, I got the label colors to show shaded as this thread describes but the TAC screen actually doubled in size. So...... I went back and edited the file back to the original TAC setting and saved it all around (I still haven't figured out which file actually feeds the game) but have not been able to reduce the TAC size. To add to it now it also displays all of the gauges normally found in CFS. Yes, all I changed was the above.

I am using Win 7, 64 bit and was wondering if anyone knows where the viewui file that the game uses is actually located?

I have done a couple if FSX installs and do recall it being tempermental.

nb - would you like me to email my copy of the file to you? If you do, PM me with your email address.

Cheers,

Si

nb - would you like me to email my copy of the file to you? If you do, PM me with your email address.

Cheers,

Si

Thanks Si, I did back up the original and will just copy it back in place. Then once all is good, I will try again!