Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

A different Albatros

:this: I was wondering what the difference was between an Albatros DIII and a OEFFAG Albatross DIII ? Spotted the reference to the

OEFFAG Albatros in an ad for a out of stock Plastic Model in a :no: catalog at Hobby shop.com. :rofl:

That how I started collecting information, Carrick. For Germans, Wikipedia is quite a good source.

Strangely though, I didn't get an English version on this. Here is the main info I have for you:

The main differences between the German built versions and the OeFAG (Österreichische Flugzeugfabrik AG - Austrian Aircraft Factory Corporation) Albatros D.III

were stronger engines for the Austrians, and the lower wing issue, which the Austrians solved different and better, whilst the German factories kept building the one-spar wing.

The lower smaller wing concept was copied from the successful early Nieuports, and the Germans copied the same weak spot with it: the single main spar,

and the V-strut fixed to it.

This led to a strong wing warping in steeper dives, cause the lower wing was only stabilised at the one point at the base end of that V-strut.

There were accidents, where parts of the lower wing broke through this warping.

The Austrians concepted their own lower wing with stabile two spars, which gave the wing the stability it needed.

Also, the OeFFAG Albatros D.III was equipped with stronger engines, which made it an overall better fighter than the German version.

(I wish I could have one!)

Edited by Olham

:grin: Thanks Olham, I checked with a Hobby Shop over in Orange Country,California ( U.S.) and they stated a

publisher called Kagero had a Magazine style book about the OEFFAG ALBATROS and to check back with them. Thanks , You always come through Herr Olham Dankeschon :bye:

:grin: Thanks Olham, I checked with a Hobby Shop over in Orange Country,California ( U.S.) and they stated a

publisher called Kagero had a Magazine style book about the OEFFAG ALBATROS and to check back with them. Thanks , You always come through Herr Olham Dankeschon :bye:

Is that Brookhurst Hobbies by chance? Grew up in that area and they were the best shop for military models. Photo etched brass detail kits and all kinds of great stuff.

I have learnt about this myself here at this forum (or to be precise: back in the days of the previous forum);

and so I wanted to pass it on to you, Carrick.