I have a problem last weeks with the SF2 Europe. Game crashes many times and in most cases I can't finish the mission. Game crashes usually when the explosion effects appear in the screen and in some other cases when game is paused for more than 10-15 seconds. I would be grateful for any help.

The problem is either with Windows or your hardware - What are your system specs?

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93 GHz 2.93 GHz

RAM 4 GB

ATI Radeon HD 4800

What is happening when the game crashes - do you get any error messages?

next - what version of the HD4800 do you have? what version of the ATi drivers are you running? - have you tried different drivers?

What settings do you have the graphics on in Game? - try reducing the graphics a bit - particularly shadows

What patch version of SF2E are you running?

OK, I will try to be as detailed as I can. When game crashes I don't get any error messages, the screen turns black and after 3-4 seconds the computer shuts down!

I use the ATI HD 4850 version along with driver Catalyst 9.6 and in the game I use unlimited graphics. When I installed the driver for ATI, I used Windows XP but now I use Windows 7.

At the beggining there was no problem but after some time, SF2 Europe started crashing when using some specific terrains like Korea or Desert without doing something. Simply after some time the screen turned black and the pc shut down. Later if the game was paused for more than 10-15 seconds, same thing, screen blacken and pc shut down. I decided to install SF2 Israel to see if there would be any difference. In SF2 Israel things were worse! (Same graphisc selected) I couldn't finish neither one mission! Now I use only SF2 Europe and in every terrain I have this problem. SF2 Europe is updated to June 2010.

As described before, most times the game crashes when the explosion effects appear in the screen. In SF2 Europe I use the Hollywood explosions. As said above at the beggining there was no problem. I thought if there is some problem with the performance of the PC so I made a scan in the whole hard disc. No viruses no threats in general.

To be honest I can't remember if the unlimited graphics were in use before the problem appear. Because I think that before this problem I used limited graphics but I'm not sure. Anyway as said at the beggining there were no failures or game crashes.

Edited by tiopilotos

Sounds like a failing PSU to me.

Yes its worth checking this - also check if your PSU is rated at enough Watts to run the card. I have tried running lower Wattage PSUs years back but over time they eventually start to creak and cause black screens.

The maximum power consumption of the card is rated at 110 watts. Maximum power for PSU is 500 watts. But I think I forgot to mention something important. I use 2 cards ATI HD 4850.

That's not nearly enough PSU capacity, and saying that it's rated at 500W max doesn't really mean anything. What's the output on the 12V rails? Or does it have a single 12V rail?

For SLI, they recommend a minimum of a 750 watt PSU, with at least 35 amps on the 12V side.

Here are some features of my PSU:

-Universal input 100V - 240V & active PFC (PF>0.99)

-Powerful +12V rail. Combined loading of 60A (750W), 62A (850W), 72A (1000W)

-Supports Quad Core CPU and all Multi-Core GPU technologies

There's also an another thing. In SF2 I use add on aircrafts from 1st gen. I only put them in Saved Games/Thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 Europe/Objects/Aircraft. Is that OK? Someone in another forum told me that I can't use so simple 1st gen aircrafts in SF2.

I reinstalled SF2 and I think I find out what's the problem. When game is not patched everything is OK but after the February 2010 patch is installed the same think. Screen turns dark and after that pc shuts down. I can see that graphics of SF2 are greater when use February 2010 patch and I think that with some way this has to do the need of power supply for video card. I use two cards ATI HD 4850 and as far as I know two video cards need more power supply than one. Maybe I need a PSU which can provide at least 700 or 800 Watts.

There's also an another thing. In SF2 I use add on aircrafts from 1st gen. I only put them in Saved Games/Thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 Europe/Objects/Aircraft. Is that OK? Someone in another forum told me that I can't use so simple 1st gen aircrafts in SF2.

Yeah you can - there are changes that can be made to bring them up to date -

http://combatace.com/topic/44026-converting-older-planes-to-work-in-sf2-a-basic-guide-by-migbuster/

although a lot have been converted over already in the SF2 download section

When game is not patched everything is OK but after the February 2010 patch is installed the same think. Screen turns dark and after that pc shuts down.

You didnt add any mods in did you?

I used the latest catalyst version and also I lowered the graphics level but problem still existed. It makes impression to me because this problem started when I had used one or two terrains that propably were not campatible with SF2.

On the other hand there's no problem when using the WoE even in the highest graphics.

I also had this problem with Flamming Cliffs 2 but notice something! Lock On FC 2 was working fine untill the problem with SF2 appeared!!!

Edited by tiopilotos

If you have reseated the cards - then type dxdiag into the run prompt and press enter - see if it flags anything up.

Does the game run okay on 1 card?

I haven't reseated the cards and I haven't played the game with one card. I think it's a good idea to see if SF 2 runs with one ATI HD 4850.