Sign in to follow this  
vonOben

What is your favorite way to evade a superior enemy?

Getting back to the topic of WW1 flying. In the past, have been a user of "Knights of the Sky" circa 1990 and "Flying Corps Gold"

circa 1996 for my WW1 flight sim efforts. Am also a user of Rise of Flight for about a year and half now and whilst it's a beautifly

modelled and presented flight sim, it is unfortunate in that it is no way yet acceptable for career or campaigning modes in it's

current guise. ... From personal observation and by reading between the lines on relevant forums, am thinking that its still maybe

another year or more off, till ROF comes of age and is up to scratch for campaigning.

Welcome to OFF, Goodvibes - I'm sure you'll love the OFF Campaign. What this team has built so far is incredible; you can fly in so

many Squadrons/Jastas/Escadrilles; and what happens around you is built really tight to history. The background of all the aces,

and their momentary victory slate for each day is in there - it's wonderful. And the devs are just working on making it even much

better (see the "New Screenshots from P4" sticky thread above).

Haha, yeah, "Flying Corps Gold" - back in those days I was exited about that sim, and I still have it somewhere.

I am based in Brisbane, Australia, run a half decent quadcore systems and have always used the most realistic flight settings

where possible in any flight sim that I've owned.

Thanks for the info - I will add your name to the OFF Forum Pilots maps now. The realism settings can be widely chosen in the

"Workshop" of OFF - you can setup almost everything.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Between Heaven and Hell patch a few days ago. Still awaiting delivery, but am assuming that BH&H

installs right over the top of CFS3 automatically. Not sure of the actual CFS3 version that I have, but it's suprisingly marketed by Ubisoft.

Further patches and Hat in the Ring addon from this point? Correct?

Go to the "Over Flanders fields" website and follow the installation guide.

After install, you may want to set up your workshop - we'll do that then; you will get help here with that, if you want - especially for setting up

the best graphic settings. So long!

Hi

Thanks for all your good ideas! :grin:

I usually try to attack instead of running away and after the attack the enemies are usually a bit disorganized so I can evade and when they get closer I make another attack and so on. It usually works rather well.

But since it was very cloudy in the mentioned mission I was hoping to sneak away in the clouds…

Cheers

vonOben

Edited by vonOben

I have indeed been able to escape DH-5 by entering a really thick white cloud with no vision at all.

When I left it much lower and set off to the right, they had lost me.

Yuppers, I have often ducked into a thick cloud, (or preferabley above it due to the aforementioned turbulence), in order to evade would-be attackers. As long as clouds are set on '5' in the workshop AI cannot see through them.

Also, if I have not already done so, let me say "WELCOME" to you Goodvibes. New lads buy the drinks, so we'll all be waiting for you in the pub this evening. Don't worry if you're late, we'll start your tab for you. :grin:

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Olham,

Am still awaiting delivery of BH&H in the mail, but can confirm that my CFS3 is version 3.1. I run a quadcore system, X-52 & pedals, TrackIR3 and will always fly full and all realistic settings for all flight sims. Haven't had any issues running ROF, nor do I find its aircraft models particularly hard to fly. Always figured that if I mastered carrier fliying, takeoff and landing in Lerche's, early jets, X-4 missiles and torpedo bombing with advanced enginine and bombing in IL2 than the rest should be easy. Am still confined to IL2 and will be online flying off the IJN Shokaku on the Slot map (or IJN Shoho on extended New Guinea map) for a three hour mission for SEOW commitments against a bunch of Yanks later tonight. Am looking forward to OFF. Not sure what you mean by "OFF Forum Pilots maps"? Is this some form of worldwide online campaign that you have running? Also, do you guys use Teamspeak, Ventrillo or nothing for communications? Will catch up with later on.

Regards,

Vibes

Goodvibes, the "OFF Forum Pilots Maps" are in the Sticky Thread of the same name.

You can find all the Forum pilots' locations in there. You are also added now -

click here to check:

http://combatace.com...post__p__315225

Edited by Olham

I would agree with Olham. I think he fought the battle because he had too. With SE5as flying high cover and being in a slower machine, he was forced to fight in the middle of them and duke it out, relying on superior marksmanship and the ability to out manuever his foes as his best defense against being overwhelmed.. There was no way he could out run, out climb or out dive that many foes without leaving himself dreadfully exposed to enemy fire.

Hellshade

Actually, it was inaccurate when I said "he could have evaded the encounter entirely". That wasn't the case at the beginning of the fight. He was indeed caught right smack in the middle of more than one enemy formation....both high and low. As the fight progressed though, and reached much lower altitudes, escape would have been a viable option according to eyewitness accounts as follows:

"Bowman and the fight had now descended to approximately 2,000 feet and roughly a mile behind the German front lines. This left Voss alone in the middle of the six S.E.5 aircraft. Bowman recalled ‘that it did not appear to deter Voss in the slightest. At that altitude Voss’s triplane had a much better rate of climb, or zoom than the S.E.5s had and frequently Voss was the highest machine of the seven attackers and could have easily turned East and gotten away had he wished to, but Voss was not that type and always came down into the fight again and again."

Here's a link to the account in full......well worth a read: http://www.letletlet...-or-super-hero/

In hindsight, it seems terribly unlikely that Voss had a dead engine prior to his aircraft's final impact. It would seem far more likely that he was badly wounded, and was perhaps making a desperate attempt to land and finally passed out from loss of blood. Regardless, I firmly believe Lt. Voss made a concious decision to continue the fight until it was no longer possible to do so. I think the only time he would have chosen to withdraw was if he'd run out of ammunition, his craft was severely damaged or he was seriously wounded. As I said earlier......a true hero as far as I'm concerned. There's a very fine line between heroics, poor judgement and blind foolishness. I believe Werner Voss was confident enough in his own skills and the capability of the DRI that he decided to walk that fine line. Some will say it was poor judgement or blind foolishness that got him killed, but his valiant efforts certainly took a great deal of courage....and I'm inclined to think of them as being more heroic than anything else.

Who was it that said "When I find myself in a firefight and surrounded by an enemy with superior numbers, they may very well kill me with my own gun, but they're gonna' have to damnedwell beat me to death with it, because when they finally get their hands on it, it WILL be out of ammo"....

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

We will probably never know the reasons behind Voss' decision. He surely was heroic in this fight.

His opponents - aces themselves - said that of him.

"I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes . . .

I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and

disappear into a thousand fragments, for it seemed to me that it literally went into powder." James McCudden

"His flying was wonderful, his courage magnificent and in my opinion he is the bravest German airman whom

it has been my privilege to see fight." James McCudden

"If I could only have brought him down alive..." Arthur Rhys Davids to James McCudden

[From "The Aerodrome" website]

Hellshade,

Thanks a lot for making that video! :good:

It's much easier to understand when you can watch a video.

S!

:drinks:

vonOben

The question I really wonder about, is: why did Voss fly alone?

Voss was alone by the time he attacked the two rearmost SE5s of No. 60 Sqn and was spotted in turn by the SE5s of No. 56, but he hadn't set out that way. He took off from Marcke with two wingmen, presumably in Albatrosses or Pfalzes and was followed by Oberleutnant Weigand in an Albatros with two more pilots in Pfalzes. How Voss became separated I don't know, possibly the superior climb of the Triplane caused Voss to leave his fellow pilots behind. Courageous certainly, but not that foolhardy.

Thanks for the info, Dej.

But I really wonder, how he got separated - normaly, no leader of a Kette would break up the flight

without serious reasons. It would have happened, that a single plane would split off a flight due to

problems, and return to base. But you describe a flight of rather 6 aircraft altogether.

Where were the other 5 fighters, when Voss began his fight?

He must have had his aircraft mechanic install a supercharger in his aircraft prior to leaving his airfield. No way they would have been able to keep up with him. That would also explain why he managed to kick the living schitt out of an entire formation of very good pilots before he died.

:grin:

As I say, I can only speculate as to how he became separated.

Voss is generally regarded as having been a loner, something of a 'mercurial spirit' and not really a good leader. Plus he must have been supremely confident - with good reason - of his ability as a fighter pilot so perhaps, if the others fell behind trying to climb as rapidly as he... Voss just couldn't be bothered to wait?

Also, before he initially attacked the stragglers of No 60 Sqn. Voss may have seen those same six Albatri (probably Jasta 3) that McCudden saw and assumed that their presence would keep him safe. Which might have been a fair assumption given Menckhoff's intervention.

We'll never know.