Sign in to follow this  
LouG

War for Isreal instructions question

I am stil having trouble getting War for Isreal campaign to work. Here is more details on what I have done.

In the War for Isreal readme instructions it says the following; Then run the exe once and go to the new mod Dir it created and if you want to first delete all the planes in the Aircraft Dir. I ran the new exe that I created for War for Isreal but no mod Dir was created. I can not find any other exe file that came with the campaign download.

The directions then say the following; Then Drop contents of the 7Z files into the new MOD Dir, overwrite when it asks. You have to run the exe first to get the options.ini generated and the new mod dir for the mod to work.

Once again the only exe file I have is the one I created, StrikeFighters2 WarforIsreal. When I run it, SF2 WfI screen comes up but the only options are SF2 Europe, Isreal, and Exp 1 missions, aircraft and campaigns.

This is my first attempt at adding a campaign to SF2 and I am obviously missing something. I am have Windows Vista on this computer, maybe that is the problem.

Here is the entire instruction with the parts I am having trouble with are in bold.

23 Aug 2010

Strike Fighters 2: War For Israel V2.0

Campaign For SF2:Israel. or

SF2,SF2:E,SF2:V and SF2:Israel Merged Install.

This is a Campaign i created to hit on the possability of the situation

in the Middle East coming to a head and represent the possible Air Battle.

The Campaign includes IDF, USAF, USMC, USN with Carrier support.

Also 2 Mercenary Aircraft for Campaign play.

Also Added F-4E for Iran and Egypt and Mirage 2000EM and F-16C for Egypt.

Also Added F-5E for Iran.

Installing the Campaign:

Campaign files with menu pics, description and Music files are included.

You will need the "SF2 Israel" Terrain. Drop the ModuleWFI.cat into the

SF2 Main Games Menu Directory under the Program Files Folder.

Also Included 2 Icon Files for the Main Dir to use with the Desktop Shortcut.

Then make a copy of one of your SF2's exe and rename it to

"StrikeFighters2 WarForIsrael.exe". Also make a copy of the INI and rename

it StrikeFighters2 WarForIsrael.ini in the main dir.

Open the "StrikeFighters2 WarForIsrael.ini" file and add this to the bottom:

[Module]

ModuleDataFile=ModuleWFI.cat

DefaultTerrainData=IsraelME

DefaultAircraft=F-15C

This will allow the use of the Menu file ModuleWFI.cat that goes in your

Main Programs "Menu" dir. First this mod uses the Stock F-4E_Kurnass and

F-16A_Netz LOD's so you will need to have these, Or have SF2 Israel loaded.

Then run the exe once and go to the new mod Dir it created and if you want

to first delete all the planes in the Aircraft Dir.

Then Drop contents of the 7Z files into the new MOD Dir,

overwrite when it asks. You have to run the exe first to get the options.ini

generated and the new mod dir for the mod to work.

You should be ready to go.

Before anyone complaigns about stock planes in this mod the A-4N is From

the A-4AR Fightinghawk

by Ravens**t

and the Mig-27 is a modded version using the stock usable Mig-27 skins, and

is by lindr2

Both can be downloaded at CombatAce.

I want to thank the Community for all their effort.

and:

BPAo

EricJ

Dave USAFMTL

WingWiner

Olivier ANGUILLE

MJ

Digital Overlord

Max Rudakov

Marcfighter

Sidewinder86

bib

SWS

Phamtuan

Matthew Ouellette

Wrench

Julheim

Wilco

Rafael

Swede

Column 5

Mirage Factory

Miracleman

pcpilot

Wpnssgt

Crusader

Private

Pappy

X Ray

JSF Aggie

Moonjumper

spillone

lindr2

FastCargo

Erikgen

Pappychksix

Epizikl

Joe Baugher

Flying Toaster

Fubar512

Sundowner

Kout

Kesselbrut

Dr.Welsh

Deuces

Scrapper

Rampage

AGOSTINO

Veltro2K

Tunderchief

Mago

Badger

Starfighter2

Talos

Jv44kt

Erwin_Hans

331KillerBee

HrntFixr

Camouflage

Sony Tuckson

Swede

Kreelin

Gaston

Actarus

Camouflage

TFlash

DamWaar

_Thomas_

Manetsim

Team Viper

Tiwaz

JA 37 Viggen

Raptore One

J.M Langeron

Jeanba

AmokFloo

pablitoVPT

Craig

aleks

LloydNB

Stary

gerwin

ArturR

bobrock

Third Wire

and TK

Thanks all, let me know if i missed anyone.

Email Me.

Spectre8750@Gmail.com

If your having trouble with campaigns and the file structure of the thirdire games in vista. Have a look at the knowledge base on this site. It helps alot.

In answer to your question when you run any of the exe files for the thirdwire sims it automatically creates the so called 'mod' directory within the 'saved games' folder of your usernames directory i.e. C:\Users\'YOURNAMEHERE'\Saved Games\ThirdWire

If you navigate to this folder and drop all of the contents it says in the readme the mod should work.

MaverickMike,

Thanks for the help. I knew it must be something easy that a newby would not know. It looks awesome.

I'm having a very similar problem getting this to work also. It is very frustrating. I have been trying to get this mod to work for weeks without success.

When I double click the .exe file I still get the Strike Fighters 2 Israel image and not the new image or music. And when I click on single mission or instant action, the game freezes. I have followed all the directions in the read me file to the "T". What am I doing wrong?

Is it wrong that I copied the already existing Strike Fighters2 Israel game and then renamed it to Strike Fighters2 War for Israel?

Did you move the SF2I exe UP one folder level, RENAME it, and then move it back down with the others before running it???

That's how you create 'seperate installs'.

Get used to doing this people ... there's several 'total conversion' mods comming that will REQUIRE that this be done

wrench

kevin stein

Did you move the SF2I exe UP one folder level, RENAME it, and then move it back down with the others before running it???

Get used to doing this people ... there's several 'total conversion' mods comming that will REQUIRE that this be done

wrench

kevin stein

Huh? I had no idea about this. I've created "separate" installs successfully so far without doing this...

Not disagreeing that it needs to be done, just wondering why I haven't had to do that...

Edited by malibu43

Well if you copy&rename one of the Game Exe file and have the corresponding INI file for it, you can many installs running from this one base Game Install.

I got the stock, SF2,E,V,I,Exp1 exe's in there and copied/renamed a few to create, NF4, Reds, SF2VGroundWar type of installs..

Edited by pureblue

Yup, it's actually covered somewhere's in the SF2 Knowledge base ... although I can't remember where, exactly

In essence, you are creating completly seperate, individually, infinatley moddable game installs

wrench

kevin stein

Well if you copy&rename one of the Game Exe file and have the corresponding INI file for it, you can many installs running from this one base Game Install.

I got the stock, SF2,E,V,I,Exp1 exe's in there and copied/renamed a few to create, NF4, Reds, SF2VGroundWar type of installs..

Yup, it's actually covered somewhere's in the SF2 Knowledge base ... although I can't remember where, exactly

In essence, you are creating completly seperate, individually, infinatley moddable game installs

wrench

kevin stein

Sorry. You guys misunderstood my question. I know how to copy .exe's and make multiple installs. It was just the part about needing to move the .exe up one folder before renaming it and moving it back down. I just copy and past the .exe back into the same folder right away (it'll be named "Copy of StrikeFighters2.exe") and then rename that .exe to whatever I want.

I'm Old Fashioned ™ :rofl:; and that reduces the risk factor

wrench

kevin stein

I'm Old Fashioned ™ :rofl:; and that reduces the risk factor

wrench

kevin stein

Got it!

wrench

kevin stein

What? I'm sorry. I do not understand. I copied the entire Strike Fighters2 Israel Folder with everything inside it. And then renamed the folder, the .exe inside that folder and the options .ini in that folder as well. Then I double clicked on that renamed .exe file to create the new mode folder and proceeded to drop all the new files inside that new mode folder that was created for the War for Israel mod. But, nothing works as I stated before.

Can I not copy the entire folder and all it's contents? Do I have to perform a complete new install and then rename it? I'm trying to do this in Windows 7. Is this my problem also?

Nope...do not copy the SF2:I folder.

It's simple as simple gets...you copy 2 files (both located in the Strike Fighters 2 directory):

1) StrikeFighters2 (xxxx).exe

2) StrikeFighters2 (xxxx).ini

Where (xxxx) is the specific sim (Europe, Israel, Vietnam). Hold down the ctrl key, use the mouse to select both files and drag into the same directory (ie make a copy). Then rename both of the new files to what you want...but they MUST have the same name (ie War For Israel.exe and War For Israel.ini as an example).

Then, run the new exe ONCE...it will create a new Mod directory with the name of the exe.

The new mod directory (in Vista or Win7) will be located by default in:

"X":\Users\"UserName"\Saved Games\ThirdWire\"New Mod Folder"

Where "X" is your root drive (usually C), "UserName" is the name you use for your login, and "New Mod Folder" is the name of the folder that was just created and should match the name of the exe and ini file you named.

There ya go...it should now work properly when you start up your new mod.

FC

Nope...do not copy the SF2:I folder.

It's simple as simple gets...you copy 2 files (both located in the Strike Fighters 2 directory):

1) StrikeFighters2 (xxxx).exe

2) StrikeFighters2 (xxxx).ini

Where (xxxx) is the specific sim (Europe, Israel, Vietnam). Hold down the ctrl key, use the mouse to select both files and drag into the same directory (ie make a copy). Then rename both of the new files to what you want...but they MUST have the same name (ie War For Israel.exe and War For Israel.ini as an example).

Then, run the new exe ONCE...it will create a new Mod directory with the name of the exe.

The new mod directory (in Vista or Win7) will be located by default in:

"X":\Users\"UserName"\Saved Games\ThirdWire\"New Mod Folder"

Where "X" is your root drive (usually C), "UserName" is the name you use for your login, and "New Mod Folder" is the name of the folder that was just created and should match the name of the exe and ini file you named.

There ya go...it should now work properly when you start up your new mod.

FC

THANK YOU Fast Cargo! Your instructions are excellent. I wish they were included with the every mod. Most instructions to get these wonderful and beautiful modifications for Third Wire games to work lack excellent instructions, in my humble opinion and that is the only thing I find so difficult about them.

After trial and error for most of the night I finally got the mod to work, sort of. I'm still having issues. I had a very difficult time getting the new menu screens and music to appear. The instructions are little misleading. It states: Open the "StrikeFighters2 Modern Warfare Korea.ini" file and add this or

Change it to, at the bottom:

[Module]

ModuleDataFile=ModuleMWKorea.cat

DefaultTerrainData=Korea

DefaultAircraft=F-15C

So, which is it? Do I add to or change it? So, I chose to add to the .ini file, when in fact you must REPLACE what is there. AND... the DefaultAircraft=F-15C WOULD NOT WORK FOR ME. The game simply crashes. After more trial and error, I had to change it to F-15E to get the game to work.

So, ALMOST everything is working except there AREN'T ANY AIRPORTS! Is that on purpose? Very confusing. It has been a real struggle to get this mod to work.

post-9359-082274300 1290229299.jpg

post-9359-056051100 1290229311.jpg

Missing the proper cat pointer line in the terrains' main ini, or the line is pointing to a cat that DOSEN'T have the proper airfields, or misnamed airfields in the targets ini.

The mod, while pretty good, has overly complicated install instructions (iirc, I mentioned that 8750 at one

point, i think on the modern korea mod.)

It would have been MUCH easier to just zip up the mods folder, with the necssary item, into a single zip (it'd probably wind up about the same size as the download is now, using 7Z), with all the bits and bobs in their individual folders, all set up and ready to go. That way, there's no screwing around with the core install; rename the exe, run it once, delete the newly created mods folder, drop this one into it. Off you fly. (this is how KAW and Indo-Pak will be released, when finished) Simpler, easier, smoother

Most instructions to get these wonderful and beautiful modifications for Third Wire games to work lack excellent instructions.

1) you've obviously never seen any of MY mods and readmes and

2) as some of the other Big Names (and older experienced hands will relate), why I'm so ADMANT on having good, understandable readme for mods. I'm real OCD that point.

wrench

kevin stein

Missing the proper cat pointer line in the terrains' main ini, or the line is pointing to a cat that DOSEN'T have the proper airfields, or misnamed airfields in the targets ini.

The mod, while pretty good, has overly complicated install instructions (iirc, I mentioned that 8750 at one

point, i think on the modern korea mod.)

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks. I worked on this problem for about two hours last night but, I have to throw in the towel and call it quits. It is just too difficult to get to work. I removed it from my hard drive. Besides, it is not really what I wanted. I have been desperately seeking a 1950's era Korean War flight sim for almost a decade but, no one has chosen to create one. I've seen a few mods on the internet for other games but, they require even more code magic and messing around with .ini files and .cat files and the like. NO THANK YOU! Just give me a game I can pay money for and it works. That's all I ask.

I am not familiar with your work Kevin, can you point me towards some of your mods? I'm anxious to see if I can get them to work without a hassle. Thanks!

2) as some of the other Big Names (and older experienced hands will relate), why I'm so ADMANT on having good, understandable readme for mods. I'm real OCD that point.

You got that right brother. I'm a firm believer in:

1) Release everything you legally can with the mod (that's why most aircraft/mods I release have their full effects, weapons, objects included)

2) Make the installation as simple as possible

3) Make the instructions as easy to read as possible

4) Test the installation yourself first before releasing...I've caught several glitches that way

It's more work on my end, but it results in mods that people want to use and separates true quality verses just 'good enough'.

ktickner6767, if you want to see how it's done, download my Classified Mission Mod. It's small, simple, fun and if it takes more than 5 minutes to get up and running, I'll be very surprised. It's so simple, a Mac user could do it. :biggrin:

FC

The Classified MIssion Mod if FUN!!!!! (although, I am a bit prejudiced...hving built the terrain for it!)

ktick, just look for any mod by "The Wrench".

And do't you go worrying about 1950s Korea, we have THAT well in hand (just browse through the SF2 screenshots thread for the occasional teaser)

1) Release everything you legally can with the mod (that's why most aircraft/mods I release have their full effects, weapons, objects included)

2) Make the installation as simple as possible

3) Make the instructions as easy to read as possible

4) Test the installation yourself first before releasing...I've caught several glitches that way

It's more work on my end, but it results in mods that people want to use and separates true quality verses just 'good enough'.

Truer words have neve been spoken!

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

The Classified MIssion Mod if FUN!!!!! (although, I am a bit prejudiced...hving built the terrain for it!)

ktick, just look for any mod by "The Wrench".

And do't you go worrying about 1950s Korea, we have THAT well in hand (just browse through the SF2 screenshots thread for the occasional teaser)

Truer words have neve been spoken!

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Kevin! Your Classified Mission Instructions for installation were very well written and very easy to understand. Out-Freaking-Standing-Job! Absolutely brilliant! Thank you! Why can't all mods be that easy to install and to get working?

I enjoyed the mission very much because I am very familiar with the "story" ;) Being a HUGE "S.T" fan! LOL! However, it is a little too difficult for my skill set and after playing the mission 3 different times I was unable to complete the mission successfully. Unfortunately, there was no way in this mission to change the difficulty level to an easier mode. At least I couldn't find one. But, thank you for building an outstanding mission with even more stellar instructions to get it working quickly.

As far as the "1950s Korea Mod" goes... OMG! Where? When? How? I have been waiting YEARS for a 1950's Korea flight sim. The F-86 is my favorite military fighter jet aircraft of ALL Time and it is very unfortunate that it is no where to be found in Third wire sim games. How close are you guys to completing this mod?

Thanks for the Help Guys

Sorry if the Install seemed complicated. I assumed people new it was a standard MOD Install. I will try to make Future mods easier. They can really only be installed

properly with the same method.

(Open the "StrikeFighters2 Modern Warfare Korea.ini" file and add this or

Change it to, at the bottom:

[Module]

ModuleDataFile=ModuleMWKorea.cat

DefaultTerrainData=Korea

DefaultAircraft=F-15C)

////This means if it doesn't exist add it. If it does exist Change It. :good: :)