Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: Game Over for World of Warcraft

I found my new MMO...it's fantastic and it's still in Beta! Rift: Planes of Telara rocks. Can't say much because of the NDA but I figure I can say stuff the Devs already put out.

#1 Awesome graphics and animation

#2 Huge amount of character customization. Far, far more than WoW has ever had.

#3 You fight interesting monsters right away, even in the noobie zone. No damn rats!

#4 just plain damn fun and exciting.

#5 Responsive developer. They've been taking in game feedback for only about 7 hours and already decided to close down the servers for 20 minutes to patch a few of the most common complaints (there aren't many)

#6 The most common theme of chat from people is "I can't believe this is Beta. It's so polished!"

Beta closes on Monday. /sigh. It's going to be a long weekend of "Rift closing".

Developer video. check it out

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/12/02/rift-enter-the-rift-video?objectid=14347517

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I just spent a long weekend playing Rift: Planes of Telara Beta (even though I was sick and felt like crap). In my opinion, the game is everything the developers have been promising that it would be. Not a single server crash during beta.

Massive character customization. No two characters will likely ever look the same (unlike WoW) and as far as class customization, you can make just about anything you can imagine in a fantasy type world. It's still a few months away from release and I'm sure they will do one or two more Beta events before then.

If you are interested in fantasy style MMOs, I highly recommend applying for a Beta key.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Even if you normally prefer single player RPGs, watch the video and see what you think. After having played it, I can honestly say it isn't hype. It has high production values and the Devs remind me of the Devs in a certain favorite flying sim. Highly responsive to feedback.

Hellshade

Read through all this only now, and I don't have to contribute much, as I was mostly flying air combat sims.

But there was one roll-player type of game I didn't find mentioned here, which I liked very much.

That's "S.T.A.L.K.E.R."

The decaying world around the exploded nuclear power plant, with it's groups of Stalkers opposing each other,

it's radiation-created mutants, and all those interesting "artefacts" you could find and use, or sell;

the rare weapons like the burgundy red sniper gun you didn't find very often; and the "trading posts", where the

traders and bar keepers might buy things of you, and give you some money, medi kits, weapons, ammo, or -

if you had enough money - one of the various special (and expensive) protection suits - errh - where was I ? -

well, if you like a dark end time athmosphere, it might be your game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Shadow_of_Chernobyl

PS: you could decide on your way through your game, who you wanted to make an alliance with, or you could

try it alone, or to fool them all, and it was always different. Also does it have various endings - depending of

how you answer the question of the Monolith at the end.

Edited by Olham