Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

New PC...

Well finally my new PC is to be ready for pick up on Friday... :grin: :grin: :grin: I cannot wait 24inch widesceen HD 3.2 and the following Spec...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 4x3,2 GHz

Asus Markenmainboard M4N68

500GB Hard drives * 2

4096MB DDR3 RAM 1333

22x Multi DVD Brenner

5.1 Sound + GBit Lan on Board

+ a new Video card to go with it... Joystick check keyboard check TrackIR on order... Xmas is looking like fun for me... now can I justify taking a week of work to just set it all up... as to OS I think I am staying with XP for now...

No more laptop flying...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Well finally my new PC is to be ready for pick up on Friday... :grin: :grin: :grin: I cannot wait 24inch widesceen HD 3.2 and the following Spec...

500GB Hard drives * 2

4096MB DDR3 RAM 1333

22x Multi DVD Brenner

+ a new Video card to go with it... Joystick check keyboard check TrackIR on order... Xmas is looking like fun for me... now can I justify taking a week of work to just set it all up... as to OS I think I am staying with XP for now...

No more laptop flying...

It looks fantastic! Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of a 24" monitor after looking at that laptop screen for so long.

Hellshade

Looks like you were a good little boy this year!

Congrats Slartibartfast!

"Deck the halls with new PC hardware...tra-la-la-la-la...la-la-la-lah!"

Ratatat

500GB Hard drives * 2

4096MB DDR3 RAM 1333

22x Multi DVD Brenner

No more laptop flying...

:good: WoW A 24 inch Screen Kudos But what is the graphics Card ?:grin:

24"? That sounds like a lot of good simming. I am currently flying a laptop but since my last crappy desktop also had a 15" monitor I think I gained a little with the wide-screen 15.4". I must note, although I say "crappy", I don't mean I had no love for it, just the opposite, I got it as a "u made it home in one piece" gift from my WWII vet grandfather and have treasured it since that very day. I fried the mother board with net poop and have yet to replace it, but it is sporting a 512MB nVidia 8600GT so all is not lost. 24" would be like playing on my grandmothers flat screen, and wouldn't that be nice. I hope all works well for you, unlike some I have had NO negative times with Win7-64bit. I was an XP user all the way until January when I got this lap top and was scared about the idea of not having that reliability there to fall back on, but I have been pleasantly surprised. It has been stable for the most part (as good as XP, if not better.) The security seems much improved, and that was a big one for me. I had a lap top for about 8 months when Vista was at it's prime and worked with that OS for a while, did not have a good time. I was happy in that I was able to run simple games like Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, and Afrika Korps with no problems, but anything that required solid graphics processing (Combat Arms for example) suffered when the specs otherwise said it would be fine. Now it can be a task to run some older games with Win7, I will warn you of this, as the previously mentioned Combat Mission titles didn't want to work at all, but this can be worked around between setting compatibility modes and getting files from MS to run older versions of DX and Visual Runtime in the 64bit Win7 environment. All in all, I am happy for you, and am sure you will have a wonderful christmas!!!! My twins, wife, and assorted members of the Sakai07 clan send out a warm congrats, Merry Christmas, and a prayer for all of our safety here at CA!!!!

:good: WoW A 24 inch Screen Kudos But what is the graphics Card ?:grin:

Card is a

Radeon HD 5850 was going to go for the 5870 but after checking the specs the 5850 is good enough and a 150 euro's lighter in the wallet... Also I am an ATI fan and have been since I first started with PC's...

Edited by Slartibartfast

That is going to be a beauty of a flying rig Slarti. And if you are happy with WIndows XP go to the 64-bit version, you will love it! I have been running it on my flying rig since I built it and it has all the advantages and speed of the newer WIndows 64-bit OS offerings with none of the hinkyness.

Never thought of going the 64bit route to be honest... interesting idea... though my boss has just advised that we are going down the road of Windows 7 in the office so might end up moving to Win7 anyway...

Is Windows a virus?

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

* They replicate quickly. Okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so. Okay, Windows does that

* Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk. Okay, Windows does that, too.

* Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too

* Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware Yup, that's with Windows, too

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature

So, Windows is *not* a virus, it's a bug.

I know its an old joke but hey needs to be used at times like this...

I have to say I have zero complaints about Windows 7 x64. It never crashes on me. I haven't had an update break anything and it runs so much smoother and more efficiently than Vista ever did. I'd take 7 even over the tried and true XP any day, hands down.

If you are going to have total memory addresses above 4GB (including your video card memory), then you're going to need a 64 bit version of Windows to use it efficiently. A 32 bit OS has a logical 4GB address limit. You can use XP 64 but if you think about it, all of the new driver updates will be for Windows 7.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Has arrived a day early!!! and I got a great offer for Windows 7 64bit that I couldn't turn down... so questions will be forthcoming on running OFF with Win7 64bit... because of the amount of cash that I passed over I got Ultimate for half price... so can't argue... Also helps that my company uses them for off the shelf hardware... :cool:

Even though I cant get the hang of Thursdays today is looking good... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Edited by Slartibartfast