Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

N-24

:grin: I spotted an article in a Modeling Mag about Building up a N-24. The problem was the Vickers gun. On that aircraft, was it located in the Center or Off Sided ? Anyone know for sure ?

Although it's a Nieuport 17, not a 24, I thought this picture that I found was quite interesting. It's described as a Nieuport 17C.1 with four machine guns. I wonder how many other aircraft were flying around this heavily armed?

post-45761-019573100 1291490681.jpg

Edited by NS13Jarhead

I have a detailed three view of the 24 that shows Vickers Gun slightly offset to the right, like it would line up to the eye on a right eye dominate pilot. This is a 24 with the flying rudder.

Beard

I think, such experiments showed in the end, that 4 guns don't help you much, when you

can't also carry the right amount of ammunition. And for so much weight, those fragile

Nupes were just not built.

If you have only a few short bursts, you would have to hit perfectly well.

And if you could do that, two guns should be quite sufficient.

I admire the pilots of the Pups, who fought their fights with a single gun. With "my" Albatros,

I can shredder most craft with one good burst. But with a single gun - hats off!

Edited by Olham

Nieuport experimented a lot with various MG configurations on the N.17. But all the experiments had similar results - the plane lost too much of its speed and maneuverability if it had more than one gun. Only the N.28 was powerful enough to be armed with two guns, but the SPAD's had already replaced the Nupes in French service and the Americans were the only users of the N.28.

Similar tests were made with Sopwith Tripes, and that plane also lost some of its performance when it had two guns. German fighters of the period were usually heavier and clumsier than Entente fighters, because they had two guns.

Vott? Clumsy?!? Bleech! My Albatros iss nott clumsy!

Calm, yes. Even-tempered, perhaps. Sturdy, surely. But never clumsy!

Grmbll!!

Edited by Olham

"Fat???!!! If ever zere vass a sleek design - see zose elegant curves! Banause! Barbar!! Ignorant!!! Schnorch!"