Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Any Hope For My Wingmen?

Having run a BE2 campaign from Winter 1915 and reached early June I encountered the first serious enemy aircraft opposition last flight. There were hundreds of ‘em! Well, 12 in the end – and only 4 in my flight.

I used the various tips I have picked up from this forum. When the first four attacked, I turned into them, selecting a target for my wingmen and ordering them to attack using ‘A’. Whether anything came of this, I don’t know because I got too busy trying not to get shot down. I tried to clear the Fokkers off my wingmen’s tails when I could. I used ‘R’ in the hope that Rejoin would help keep us in some sort of formation, but I kept losing track of them.

By the time one of my wingmen had gone down and I had realised there were now 12 aircraft directly attacking us, I decided to try and lead my flight to the nearest friendly airfield, pressing ‘R’ every now and then. They kept falling behind, however, and I had to keep turning back to try and help them (despite the fact that before I started leading the flights I could never keep up with them). I headed close to one of our balloons, in the hopes that the AA might scare the enemy off. It did, apparently, destroy two of them. By that time, however, my other two wingmen had fallen, so I scuttled back to my home airfield with a hole in one wing and a rattling engine that seemed to be slowly dropping revs.

Given the odds, the aircraft types and an inexperienced flight leader, the outcome seemed not unreasonable. What I’m wondering, however, is did I miss anything obvious, tactically or game command, that I could have done to save any of my wingmen or have I got to get used to the guilt!

Having run a BE2 campaign from Winter 1915 and reached early June I encountered the first serious enemy aircraft opposition last flight. There were hundreds of ‘em! Well, 12 in the end – and only 4 in my flight.

I used the various tips I have picked up from this forum. When the first four attacked, I turned into them, selecting a target for my wingmen and ordering them to attack using ‘A’. Whether anything came of this, I don’t know because I got too busy trying not to get shot down. I tried to clear the Fokkers off my wingmen’s tails when I could. I used ‘R’ in the hope that Rejoin would help keep us in some sort of formation, but I kept losing track of them.

By the time one of my wingmen had gone down and I had realised there were now 12 aircraft directly attacking us, I decided to try and lead my flight to the nearest friendly airfield, pressing ‘R’ every now and then. They kept falling behind, however, and I had to keep turning back to try and help them (despite the fact that before I started leading the flights I could never keep up with them). I headed close to one of our balloons, in the hopes that the AA might scare the enemy off. It did, apparently, destroy two of them. By that time, however, my other two wingmen had fallen, so I scuttled back to my home airfield with a hole in one wing and a rattling engine that seemed to be slowly dropping revs.

Given the odds, the aircraft types and an inexperienced flight leader, the outcome seemed not unreasonable. What I’m wondering, however, is did I miss anything obvious, tactically or game command, that I could have done to save any of my wingmen or have I got to get used to the guilt!

From your account, I think you did everything that could be reasonably expected from a Quirk flight leader. Sadly, the Be2 was simply not equipped for aerial combat the likes of which you encountered. And with 3-1 odds, I'd say that fact that anyone made it home alive is pretty exceptional. So - unfortunately - I think you did everything you could, short of equipping yourselves with Bristol Fighters! :salute:

PS: Just out of curiosity, what attacked you? I'm assuming it was a flight of EIII's but I could be wrong.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

From your account, I think you did everything that could be reasonably expected from a Quirk flight leader. Sadly, the Be2 was simply not equipped for aerial combat the likes of which you encountered. And with 3-1 odds, I'd say that fact that anyone made it home alive is pretty exceptional. So - unfortunately - I think you did everything you could, short of equipping yourselves with Bristol Fighters! :salute:

PS: Just out of curiosity, what attacked you? I'm assuming it was a flight of EIII's but I could be wrong.

It was Fokker EIIIs. One thing I may have done was spend a bit too long shooting at several that drifted in front of me. That was due to me trying to work out where the bullets actually went rather than any claim hunting. I thought that the gun on the BE was offset to avoid the propeller but it seemed to shoot straighter than I imagined. I was trying to work out somewhere to sight through.

I did actually hit a couple to my amazement, as I was in spot view at the time. Several minutes after hitting the last one I was informed that I had destroyed an enemy aircraft! I didn't see it go down, however, and since my apparently successful landing suddenly turned into a crash landing (I had landed and cut off the engine and was coming to a halt - I am presuming battle damage played a part) there was no claim form ( I have yet to see one). I wouldn't have had a clue what happened anyway! I'll have to start making a note of my wingmen's names just in case - if I can get any of them home!

I think you'll find the incidence of E.IIIs will increase almost literally from 1 June 1915, as that's when OFF maps their introduction (with FA 62 based at Douai) - so if you're flying anywhere in that vicinity, expect trouble.

Yes, the BE2 has a straight (through the prop arc) shooting MG mounted to the front left of the cockpit. Try toggling through F6 when you are in the cockpit view and you should get an along-the-barrel view that might help with aiming (but will probably throw your perspective for actually flying the plane!) Suggest you experiment zooming in and out a bit to see whether you can find a 'sweet spot' that allows you to do both!

Also, in the situation you described, try pressing H rather than R if you want to get your flight-mates back alongside - it seems to get a more immediate response.

Good luck.

With BE2s you have a hard time against fighters.

If they have forward guns, you could try this: mark an enemy fighter and press "A" for "Attack".

Then attack another fighter, and press "H" for "Help!" - your wingman should now attack the

fighter closest to your craft. So he will either try to keep your six clear, or attack the same craft

as you do.

No idea, how good they can do that, but it can't get any worse.

Wayfarer, I also agree with the other gentlemen who've responded to your plea. I don't know how much more you could have done given the situation. Depending on the alt you were fighting at, you could try dragging everyone down to treetop level as the enemy AI don't do well down low, and you'll have the aid of friendly small arms fire from the ground as well, (assuming you're on the right side of the mud). I'm afraid you will have to get use to the idea of regular losses from here on out in your Quirk squadron. Also, there is no shame in bravely running away when faced with such odds, but you will have to beat a brave retreat early to stay ahead of all those angry Einies.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I shall try using 'H' next time. I was aware of the view in F6 but I hadn't really got faith in what I was seeing at the time. As it happens, we did end up just over the treetops. Unfortunately, as posted elsewhere, I got struck by the stutters with the frame rate dropping to single figures. One touch of the joystick was producing sickening lurches a few seconds later - often even nearer to the trees! Fortunately, the FPS picked up after I paused it but I tried to get a little height after that as I didn't want to lose my pilot that way.

It's a testament to the immersion factor of OFF that I realised I was actually reproaching myself for not knowing my wingmen's names (I am duly ashamed Olham)! It made me think, how must they have felt in real life when they were responsible for people.

Edited by Wayfarer

It's a testament to the immersion factor of OFF that I realised I was actually reproaching myself for not knowing my wingmen's names (I am duly ashamed Olham)! It made me think, how must they have felt in real life when they were responsible for people.

I completely agree. And not just the feeling of responsibility but also the sense of utter futility and helplessness in the air when you see a wingman go down in flames. What a horrible feeling. No wonder they drank so heavily! :drinks: