Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

A year in the saddle...

On December 28 it will be one year exactly since I stumbled across a reference to Strike Fighters 2 on a website and re-kindled my love affair with virtual flying. I had started playing an arcade WWII flying game with a mate, a newbie I was helping get into gaming.

I decided I wanted to relive my glory days playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat with friends many years ago and started googling flight simulators. It must have been fate, because one of the first links I found lead me to Third Wire - on the very last day of the sale of the merged combo pack. After some debate with myself I decided to take a punt and pulled out my credit card, little realising I would be taking a trip down the rabbit hole that would still have me regularly playing this game every day almost a year later.

It was love at first sight. I installed the game and immediately got reamed a new one by some MiG-17s who flew rings around my F-4 Phantom. It just made me want to do it more and better!

It wasn't too long before I discovered CombatAce and another love affair blossomed. I am a survey flyer - I love to fly new aircraft and learn how they handle, pondering how best to fly them. My day job is as a web developer, so it wasn't long before I was learning how to hack aircraft open to get SFP1 aircraft re-jigged for SF2. I have said it before, but CombatAce is something special. I follow interesting threads in the discussions all the time, and you guys have always helped me out when I have managed to bugger something up! There is not one time when I have asked a question when I haven't got a useful reply, usually more than one.

So thanks TK and crew for the game. For what I paid for it against the use and enjoyment I get from it, it must be one of the best purchases I have ever made. To the modders who have worked to build the aircraft which keep this game so fresh even after a year of play - there are not words enough to thank you. To the moderators and CombatAce forum members who have so often come to my aid and never made me feel like a Wally - I give you my heartfelt gratitude. Just because you don't do it for the thanks doesn't mean you shouldn't get any. THANKS!

Now if only after a year flying I still didn't suck so badly at it... :grin:

post-56577-088942900 1291894719.jpg

Right on the money,Harry!

MANY MANY THANKS to everyone involved with this wonderful Sim.!!!

Harry: I have been playing it since it came out(SF1) and I still suck at it sometimes.

Those @#$%^&^% Mig-17's will hose your a$$ damn near every time.

Go harry. Agreed on the modders. Pretty much, the entire SAC and PVO lineup is complete.

I saved this for hysterical perservation. F-106, and Su-15, in TheJetSims for the first time.

54cdf437.jpg

Harry,

You are right on the money. With my purchase of SFP1 way back in the original WalMart release days, not only did it bring hours of virtual fun (and some frustration), it helped make friendships that still continue today.

-Jeff