Sign in to follow this  
quack74

FYI don't hold your breath

Nix, I think you slightly deteriorate OFF in terms of terrain and general air combat feeling. And go check the screenies from P4 :good:

I was in no aim to discredit anyone, and if i made someone feel insulted, please accept my sincere escuses. :this:

Yes, i agree quite much on the fog and gunner position thingie, also the non collidable objects. The only explanation is that TK works on what he considers priorities, with the limited ressources he gets, and he said already that FE was a deficit, non lucrative game.

Edited by Nix

no problem Nix, I just happen to like the CFS 3 terrain engine as used in OFF :good:

As for FE, I wouldn't believe next expansion pack is anywhere near in the foreseable future

The cockpit isnt spectacular but it does the trick and everything moves around. I even added a radiator decal on the underside of the upperwing.

post-33545-067779300 1296669396.jpgpost-33545-063787000 1296669400.jpgpost-33545-013068000 1296669405.jpgpost-33545-052967300 1296669409.jpgpost-33545-050041100 1296669415.jpg

Moreover, in this life anything is possible to improve ...

post-46848-0-45090600-1301660933.jpg

I prefer OFF...the movement within the cockpit is great in FE 2 but for me personally in every other area OFF beats it. FE2 has slightly cartoon look....look like RC planes to me (I do like them don't get me wrong).

Take a Bus up in haevy weather in OFF...check out those massive dark moody clouds that dwarf your flight...OFF has drama and amtopshere in spades..

RoF beats both games FM and the way the planes look...though again let down by the scenery and clouds...and has no amtosphere and little immersion...feeling of flight is superb though and I'm sure Multi player it shines but OFF beats it for an SP experience.

WOuld have been nice to see an expansion...and a terrain\sky update aswell as tweak the FM's...it would start to meet it's potential then.

As fr OFF getting hold of the engine...not sure I'd be happy....I'd want to see a complete overhaul so planes don't fly with half a wing missing etc..and make the planes look less toy like...the only bonus (and it is a biggy) is again I love the movement within the cockpit thus giving the Bus a 3d feel rather than a 2d image of a cockpit moving through 3D terrain.

Personally I think FE, on balance, is at least as good as OFF, comparing OFF Phase 2 (and what I have seen of Phase 3) with FE1 patched.

Both have a very limited range of 2-seaters. Neither has great AI but FE's AI is rather better, seeming to cope better with slow WW1 planes than does OFF/CFS3 eg no crashing on/after takeoff, slightly better formation flying, somewhat better evasive action (hate those low-level up-and-down antics in OFF). Patched, FE's planes look a LOT better, complete with dynamic shadows, animated pilots and guns/engines, and high-resolution textures; in particular, the FE Camel's external and internal models must be among the best seen in any 'survey' sim. I totally disagree that the FE planes are 'toy-like'; they are superb, beautiful to look at, in cockpit or external views. The FE planes 'decals' look a LOT better than the IL2 equivalent and give squadron planes a unique identity. The OFF clouds and scenery are somewhat better than stock FE's but FE's fog and lighting effects give the FE world a quite beautiful appearance and it has good mods for clouds and terrain. FE's rendition of roads, rivers and to a lesser extent, towns or villages is generally better than OFF's CFS3-based equivalent. FE's inflight and planning maps aren't great but they are better than OFF's map, based as it is on the truly appalling CFS3 low-resolution crud. The OFF WW1 world has a better ground war environment, tho FE's isn't bad. Both have flaws in damage modelling. FE has a great range of free addon planes, terrains ond other stuff. OFF's limitations on 'warping' may have been reduced in recent versions but FE's is not speed-limited. The OFF SP campaign has some nice features; FE's reminds me of EAW's; a few less trimmings to be sure, but somehow just as engaging.

Speaking as someone who has just got back into simming, it's evident that FE has come a long way since the original release. On balance, I think it now has a strong claim to being the best all-round WW1 sim currently available. What it may lack compared to OFF and RoF in some areas, it makes up for in others.