Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

New Cockpit Sound

I spliced together a new cockpit sound some months back using recorded audio sounds from a taped Thud mission in Vietnam that I got from a website. To make it more interesting I mixed it with an add-on cockpit background sound.

The trouble is it won't play due to the fact that it's (I'm guessing) not the correct bitrate. The sound editing program I downloaded to do this was a free one and the tasks you could perform on it were pretty limited.

The sound itself is over an hour long but I'm sure it could be made to work. I've played it on my Windows media player while flying missions and it really adds to the atmosphere, while making long flights a little less boring.

Would anyone with proper sound editing software be willing to take this and work on it?

One hour? You're joking, right? :yikes: Read this and weep.....these are file sizes of 1-minute duration monaural wavs at various bitrates and of average quality

One minute at:

11,025 Hz 16 bit PCM = 1292 KB

08,000 Hz 16 bit PCM = 0938 KB

11,025 Hz 8 bit PCM = 0646 KB

08,000 Hz 8 bit PCM = 0469 KB

So, 60 minutes

@ 8-bit 08000 hz = 28 mb

@ 8-bit 11025 hz = 38 mb

@ 16-bit 08000 hz = 56 mb

@ 16-bit 08000 hz = 77 mb

Now, all this gets cached in RAM, and all of it uses CPU cycles, unless you have a dedicated soundcard to help offload some of the sound-processing off the CPU.

BTW, over the course of 7+ years, been there, done that. You'll find 15 minute cockpit wavs by moi in the downloads section.

Edited by Fubar512

Geez; oh well, to use the old saying 'it seemed like a good idea at the time'.

I'll check out the downloads section for what you've made. In the meantime if anyone's interested in taking it off my hands I can forward it to them via rapidshare. Maybe they can cut it up a bit and make it a more practical size.

I spliced together a new cockpit sound some months back using recorded audio sounds from a taped Thud mission in Vietnam that I got from a website. To make it more interesting I mixed it with an add-on cockpit background sound.

The trouble is it won't play due to the fact that it's (I'm guessing) not the correct bitrate. The sound editing program I downloaded to do this was a free one and the tasks you could perform on it were pretty limited.

The sound itself is over an hour long but I'm sure it could be made to work. I've played it on my Windows media player while flying missions and it really adds to the atmosphere, while making long flights a little less boring.

Would anyone with proper sound editing software be willing to take this and work on it?

That is actually a really good idea! Much easier than dealing with a modified cockpit sound or speech pack. You could easily have a different 10-15 min .wav file for different nationalities or eras, and just load the desired .wav file in winamp before starting the game. You'd only need 1/2 dozen or so, depending on how many installs you have. Of course, you'd still have to find a way to deal with the anoying in game speech!

Is this what you have already Fubar, or did you create files that were meant to be used as cockpitsound by the game?