Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Playstation Portable 2 Revealed by Sony

500x_psp2_ngp_update.jpg

From Kotaku.com

The PSP2 is finally here. Sony revealed its brand new PlayStation Portable at an event in Tokyo today, our first official look at the PlayStation maker's next foray into handheld gaming, the NGP or "Next Generation Portable." First details below.

The Hardware

Sony confirmed many of the features of the PSP2 that we've already heard in the form of leaks, rumor and speculation. The PSP2 features a high-resolution, touch-sensitive OLED screen that's larger than the original PSP screen, tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras, and a touch sensitive back panel.

Sony boasts that the new PlayStation Portable is as powerful as a PlayStation 3. The device features built-in WiFi and 3G wireless connectivity and uses an all-new form of media storage for games—no more UMD.

Here's how Sony describes it: "NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

For now, Sony is officially calling the new PlayStation Portable by its codename, Next Generation Portable or NGP. It will be out this holiday in Japan.

The Full Specs

CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)

GPU: SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera

Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone

Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons

Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

The Games

Sony showcased a handful of games alongside the reveal of the new PSP, including new titles Little Deviants, Reality Fighters and Gravity Daze, plus games based on the following PlayStation franchises.

Uncharted

Killzone

WipeOut

Resistance

LittleBigPlanet

Hustle Kings

Hot Shots Golf

Sony says the new PlayStation Portable will also play PSone games supported via its PlayStation Suite platform and will be backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games. To demonstrate this, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demoed Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP on a NGP.

Third parties have shown demonstrations of Yakuza 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the system, with Activision announcing a Call of Duty for the new PSP.

Here is Sony's list of third-party publishers supporting the NGP as of July 27, 2011:

JAPAN

ACQUIRE Corp.

ALVION Inc.

AQ INTERACTIVE INC.

ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd.

ARIKA CO.,LTD.

ARTDINK CORPORATION

ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc.

CAPCOM CO., LTD.

CHUN SOFT CO., Ltd

Codemasters Software Company Limited

Crafts & Meister Co.,Ltd.

CyberConnect2 Co.,Ltd.

D3 PUBLISHER Inc.

Dimps Corporation

Edia Co., Ltd.

ENTERBRAIN, INC.

FromSoftware, Inc

Gameloft K.K.

Genki Co.,Ltd.

Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.

GungHo Online Entertainment,Inc

GUST CO.,LTD.

HAMSTER Corporation

HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.

IDEA FACTORY CO., LTD.

Index Corporation (Atlus)

IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.

KADOKAWA GAMES,LTD.

Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

LEVEL-5 Inc.

Marvelous Entertainment Inc.

media5 Corporation

NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.

Nihon Falcom Corporation

Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

NOWPRODUCTION, CO.,LTD

Q Entertainment Inc.

SEGA CORPORATION

SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION

Spike Co.,Ltd

SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.

SystemSoft Alpha Corp.

TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

TOMY Company,Ltd.

TOSE CO., LTD.

Ubisoft K.K.

YUKE'S Co., Ltd.

48 companies in total.

NORTH AMERICA

Activision, Inc.

Capybara Games

Demiurge Studios

Epic Games Inc.

Far Sight Studios

Frima

High Voltage Software

Kung Fu Factory

Paramount Digital Entertainment

PopCap Games

Powerhead Games

Trendy Entertainment

Ubisoft

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

2K Games

2K Sports

16 companies in total.

EUROPE/PAL

Avalanche Studios

Climax Studios Ltd

Codemasters Software Company Ltd

Eurocom Developments Ltd

Eutechnyx Ltd

Exient Ltd

Firemint PTY Ltd

Gameloft SA

Gusto Games Ltd

Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd

Impromptu Software Ltd

Rebellion

Rockstar Games

Sidhe Interactive

Sumo Digital Ltd

Team 17 Software Ltd

Ubisoft Entertainment SA

Zen Studios Ltd

18 companies in total

by Michael McWhertor, at Kotaku.com

I've seen size comparison charts on this thing...it's bigger than the original PSP-1000. I'm not getting one...I stopped lugging the original PSP around a while ago once my phone could do everything my PSP could do except play 3D games well. That's the only thing cell phones still don't quite do well yet...iPhone included, mainly because on screen controls suck.

FC

Any inkling as to the price? Whats the bets that you can get a fully fledged next gen console for cheaper?

Mike

What next gen console???

If only that thing were open for everyone's development, not for overpriced garbage...

I played my PSP a lot in 2006-8. Then I got a good gaming laptop and started bringing that on trips instead, even though it's a LOT bigger, because of the games. I really liked the games I played in 2006-8, but then the new games coming out for it that I wanted trickled down to nothing. There were a couple SW games I could've bought, but I see no reason at this point.

However, I see this one finally has dual sticks!!

If I get one, it will be to game because I don't want it to do anything else. I have my Samsung Galaxy S for that and my Zen for MP3s.

I may get one. The idea of playing PS2 games on the go is very appealing since that platform is one of my favorites. I'm sure though Sony is going to make it difficult as hell to crack the firmware so I can just copy my own PS2 images onto it.

I used a PSP for about two years. It just was not comfortable, so I went back to playing my DS (Nintendo does hand held systems better). Now I have a netbook that has a PSX emulator and DOS Box.

Edited by suhsjake

Speaking of PSP. I was actually thinking of getting one since they have dropped so much in price. But im not really sure about which one to get. The PSP Go or the regular PSP 3000. Is the GO worth the extra buck? Does it have anything better besides no UMDs. Battery life and such??