Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

CPU s

I'm not sure about OFF but my old i5 760 ran SF2 extremely well. However my new I5 2500k sandybridge processor runs any flight sim better than any processor i've come across.

i7 920 is easily overclocked. I run 3.8Ghz with no adjustment to voltage, up from the stock 2.66ghz.

Hellshade

I run my AMD x2 3.1 black edition at x3 3.6...those black editions are great if you can get the extra clocks to work...the fourth clock didn't (messed up the graphics) but I managed to get three going and overclocked aswell.

I'm wondering about a benchmark for the best minimum speed of the CPU, like:

If I want to run all sliders on 5, with Fraps of minimum 40 - what minimum frequency should the CPU have?

Also: what about dual core and quad core?

I have read here, that CFS3 wasn't made for quad core and therefor wouldn't benefit form it.

But a friend of mine said, even if that was right, the rest of the system and Windows would benefit,

and would still run more smooth? Any good knowledge?

If I want to run all sliders on 5, with Fraps of minimum 40 - what minimum frequency should the CPU have?

I have read here, that CFS3 wasn't made for quad core and therefor wouldn't benefit form it.

But a friend of mine said, even if that was right, the rest of the system and Windows would benefit,

and would still run more smooth? Any good knowledge?

I'm not sure what the minimum would be in order to run Fraps with at least 40 FPS, however I will say that it's not really true that you won't benefit from a quad core over a dual core cpu. True, CFS3 wasn't written to take advantage of quad core cpus, however the quad core cpus have some design improvements in them that give them better performance over dual and single core cpu. For a quick and free FPS upgrade, try going under the Z Bias and dropping Z Bias Resolution (the top slider) from 15 down to 13. Very little difference in the graphics but could easily see a 5FPS jump.

Hellshade

Thank you for the hint - I'll give it a try.

The T.I that I talked with agreed with Hellshade about Quad cores. Games aren't written for them, but the improvements in the processor in crease performance. He also stated that 2 core games are currently coming into the market place and single core games are not. Back to basics, AMD or Intell ? AMD so far looks like best bang for the buck, But intell I7 is boss Hog. Can Off or COD benefit from that ? So far The Vid card that I was looking at is the Nvida 460 GTX 1000 gig. So far, my friends in different forums cant agree. I think it would max out the games requirements, but not the processor or 4 Gigs Ram (DDR3). What ya Think ? Thanks :heat::grin::salute:

P.S. Phenon II x4 965 Black 3.4 125W or x6 Looks nice for Gaming ( New Egg.com) as far as AMD the Others ?

Edited by carrick58

It's probably been a year since I paid attention, but last I checked, the Intel quad cores ran cooler than the AMDs and got higher performance. A year is a long time though so I have no idea what AMD has come out with since then. And although I am running and Intel at the moment, I'm not stuck in one "camp" or the other. Whatever offers the best performance for the buck is what I look for. I'd recommend you go to places like www.tomshardware.com and look for cpu reviews.

Hellshade

Olham,

FWIW, I'm running an AMD 3.1 MHz Black Edition X2 550 overclocked to 3.6 without any voltage increase, and runs nice and cool. Delivers minimum 40 FPS with sliders at 5 on an ATI 5770. Performance is the same down to 3.1MHz thanks to improved CPU caching.

I was unable to unlock the third core, but it actually works in my favor, as it reduces the possibility of overheating due to overclocking.

It will have four clocks most MB's support you using any of the four...did you try out both other cores? Also I have 3 cores running and a semi decent fan and I'm not running that hot...

It will have four clocks most MB's support you using any of the four...did you try out both other cores? Also I have 3 cores running and a semi decent fan and I'm not running that hot...

Wodin,

I tried all cores. A dual-core Phenom II X2 550 can become a high-performance quad-core processor, but it depends on the semiconductor die used. If it is a fully-functional die with two blocked cores or a die with two defective ones that have been blocked it's possible to unlock the cores, but most late production X2 chips cannot be unlocked, no matter how hard you try. I got one of the later production runs, and it was priced so low that I didn't care whether it was unlockable or not.

I'm not running hot at all, it idles at 27C and never gets over 48C.

Thank you for the hint - I'll give it a try.

Did you have any luck with that sir?

Hellshade

No, this was not the problem, Hellshade - both were the same.

I am getting fraps in the 60s, so it shouldn't stutter. I wonder, if the problem may rather lie with TrackIR?

My CPU is definitely the bottleneck for everything, with it's 2.83 GHz.

I'm saving to get that changed.