Sign in to follow this  
ojcar

Question about Israeli B-17

Hello! I'm converting the DAT (and Wrench) Mc-205, B-17F (as B-17G) and Beaufighter to use in SF2 (to adding them in Independence War campaign). At the moment, I'm finished the Mc-205 work and it flies quite well. Next is the B-17. But I have a question: I know these planes were stripped of turrets and other equipment, but I suppose they had some deffensive weapons. I'm not sure about this, but if so, what is the historically correct weapons for these B-17? I'm thinking about deleting all turret weapons (including the tail one), and keeping the one front and the waist machine guns. This is correct?

I think they gunrunned the turrets by ship, but they wouldn´t have been available in the first flight (Europe-Bombing Egypt-Israel trip). I´ll try to look for something

EDIT: Checked out Osprey. Photos show no turrets at all, and no mention is done to implements on defensive armament. I would guess that they had to sitck with waist MGs, but pictures don´t show clearly if they really carried them, let alone the type of machinegun.

Edited by macelena

They used the planes for day bombing (Egyptians used their Stirlings for night bombing), at first with fighter scort, and then without scort, and with no loses, so I was thinking about some deffensive weaponry implemented. I don't think about the turrets, but maybe some manually firing machine-guns...

Gracias, colega!

look around somewhere in the 1stGen skin section ... iirc, AllenJB did the IDF skin.

Also, iirc, they added the waist guns and the tail guns. the Top turret and later a chin turret was added, but after the 48 war. Rmember, too, they only had 3 Forts.

Just used standard or garden variety M2 50 cals; just like in WW2.

Remember when you upload them, do NOT include the aircraft LODs (but, you probably knew that already) However, since I DID get a special permission/dispensation for Mc-205, I'd tell folks to get the one off my site, they add YOUR data ini. Might work around the issue.???

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Thank you, Wrench! This is the information I wanted. So far the Fortress flies well "as is". No work done, only touched the machine-guns. I haven't change the Beau. It flies well. The most problematic is the Macchi. Still testing, but I solved all the problems (I think). I have edited IW campaign as well, and made it Arab flyable. (The changes so far: change Spitfires in 2 Egypt Squadron and gave them Macchis, add Israeli 103 Squadron with 4 Beaufighters, and Israeli 69 Squadron, with 3 Fortress. Also deletted weapons in Stirling (I have left the dorsal turret only, because nearly all of them didn't have weapons while other fitted with an Avro Anson turret!)

Soon I'll upload all the ini work!