Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

AMD or Intell

:grin: What do u Guys Think ? I would like to do a rig with an AMD Phenom X4 with a Nvida GTX 460 Graphics Card. I have always heard that if ya go AMD go ATI Grapics or Intell and Nvida All its for is Gaming with a single monitor :this:

It would be interesting to hear what our resident computer gurus have to say on this subject. I'm often confused by the gazillion different models both manufacturers offer, and can't really say which one is the best.

It would be interesting to hear what our resident computer gurus have to say on this subject. I'm often confused by the gazillion different models both manufacturers offer, and can't really say which one is the best.

You and me, both, HW. It makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

I'd be interested to hear what the gurus say as well. Strictly from an observer's perspective, it would seem to make logical sense that if you were to go with an AMD-based platform, you'd pair it up with an AMD-based graphics accelerator.

AMD processor+AMD Chipset+AMD GPU (pity they don't make RAM....or do they? lol) Should = a very compatible arrangement.

Not necessarily true though, IMHO. Frankly, I think you can pair Intel up with AMD and or ATI, or Nvidia up with Intel and or AMD and as long as you use common sense when you select your components. You'll still end up with a very compatible and stable system.......if you "know" what you're doing.

As far as AMD's processors in comparision to Intel's processors in general? Can't comment. Haven't used anything but Intel since the core 2 duo came out.....and probably wouldn't. Haven't had a single problem with 'em........why change now?

Cheers,

Parky

I've used both...always been impressed with both too.

I 'believe' that AMD's run a little hotter than Intel

First, I have to call "bullsh*t". Parky's being way too modest, he knows more'n he lets on here :)

(Kidding aside, he makes two good points: Matching up pieces couldn't hurt, but then building a machine with a 'common sense' approach works, just as well).

Me, I've been an Intel user ever sense. But, I do own several AMD's (other family machines, etc), and I've built a few as well - no problems to speak of. I think, currently, Intel has the lead in terms of preformance, but it does change like the wind blows - and AMDs always been a 'force to be reckoned with' in it's own right, just because of the cost-performance ratio.

One thing - can't really say for current AMD stuff: If you buy Intel-based now, be sure to get into the 1366 socket if you can afford it. And, if possible, might as well go for SATA6/G and USB3. If you're even remotely interested in SLI or CrossFire, make sure you get a board that supports PCIe x16 on two slots that don't 'scale back' the number of lanes when you populate the other PCIe slots.

Also, even though I usually have a decent enough machine, I *never* buy what is hot stuff right now. There's just usually a huge premium for buying what just came out....my advice is wait 6 months and it'll come down. Or, if you really must build now, consider saving by buying what's just one step below what's brand new this week. (To be balanced, of course, with the comments above about USB3 and SATA6/G - all a question of your budget and what you want out of it).

Edited by Tamper

Also, even though I usually have a decent enough machine, I *never* buy what is hot stuff right now. There's just usually a huge premium for buying what just came out....my advice is wait 6 months and it'll come down. Or, if you really must build now, consider saving by buying what's just one step below what's brand new this week. (To be balanced, of course, with the comments above about USB3 and SATA6/G - all a question of your budget and what you want out of it).

Tamper,

I totally agree. I always wait six months to a year to buy new equipment. By that time, most issues have been ironed out, with new BIOS available, and there are serious bargains to be had. But be sure and check the model numbers and release dates carefully if you can.

Your I CALL BULLs**t is one of my favorite phrases. Unforunately one I can't use at work.

Best regards.

First, I have to call "bullsh*t". Parky's being way too modest, he knows more'n he lets on here.

Multiple +'s

plug_nickel

And let's not let BirdDogICT and almccoyjr off the hook, either :) (They both "got skillz" too) I've enjoyed reading their input on multiple 'cases'.

@ BirdDogICT - I wasn't even taking the ironed out issues and updates into account, either. Both good points. (and yes, I have invoked the occasional "BS call" at work *lmao*)

C'mon, Al..out with it...I see you over there...

(see, I told you these guys know stuff...)

(PS, one of these days I'm gonna ask you both about overclocking...I've done it, but I got a brand new machine with a big, fat after-market heat sink and a i930 that's just screamin' to have the hell run out of it *lol*. Everyone always seems to get more than I can out of one; C2D-8400's and 920's @4G; I never could my 8400 stable past about 3.7G, never mind what cooling...I think I need to know more about voltages...oh, well, perhaps a different thread).

I was with AMD up until 12/06 when Intel's Core Two Duo blew the Hades out of AMD.

AMD does run hotter and they "seem" to have a few more operational anomalies then Intel, but they're primarily software specific and support forums have ironed out them out.

AMD forced Intel into making their procs more o/c friendly.

AMD has been the "better" company in processor/motherboard consistency when it comes to upgrading. Every time Intel turns around, it seems you have to change your board has well. AMD has done a better job at "future proofing". AMD's acquisition of ATI has put them much further down the road where cpu/gpu will be cpgpu at some point. Intel can't put together a slide projector, let alone a gpu.

That being said, Intel has just blown the Hades out processing.

Several days ago, several of us had a good conversation on building systems. That discourse has caused me to do a lot more thinking about "future proofing" and what it means in "real" terms. To me, "future proofing" is akin to buying the latest, best badas* hardware you can to blow away the apps you currently run and to "try" and be ready for the next round of Dx, software that runs optimized on 4,6 or 8 cores, etc. Is anyone here running a 64 bit gaming program? If you're apps are already "max'd" out, are you going to "max'em them more" while waiting on newer software?

I built my current system back in 12/06 and it has run everything that I've thrown at it pretty dam* good. Not because of the hardware, but because of the improvements to the OS and being able to tweak all the parts to make it a system. Technical support and forums are where future proofing is realized. That's where the real investment pays off; keeping what you have by optimizing it and with extreme "judicial" restraint when spending money on that next biggest, best upgrade. You don't have to buy new to get good/great performance; frame rates prove that.

I've been Googleing and eBaying to see what ifs and you can REALLY build a dynamite system from the "refuse" abandoned by those that have the incessant upgrade itch.

That being said, AMD and Intel are both excellent choices. I prefer Intel at this point. Hardware and software make a pc; how well it runs is strictly up to YOU. YOU determine the mileage, not the parts.

plug_nickel

Edited by almccoyjr

(PS, one of these days I'm gonna ask you both about overclocking...I've done it, but I got a brand new machine with a big, fat after-market heat sink and a i930 that's just screamin' to have the hell run out of it *lol*. Everyone always seems to get more than I can out of one; C2D-8400's and 920's @4G; I never could my 8400 stable past about 3.7G, never mind what cooling...I think I need to know more about voltages...oh, well, perhaps a different thread).

Good place to start:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_core_i7_overclocking_guide_we_push_nehalem_its_limits

It's a whole different ball game when it comes to o'c'ing these cpu's. The mobo plays an even more critical role when pushing for benchmarks as well as speed.

You'll also need to "dissect" you're NB to see how well it can stand voltage increases. Relaxing ram timings just a "smidge", even if you have locked the memory's speed can help with a more stable o'c.

I've just in the last couple of days got my X6800 to 3.73. Bus is 1066 which actually equates to 267 w/ 14x multiplier and still at default voltages. I haven't been able to run prime for as long as I'd like to, but for apps and gaming, no problems so far. Not bad for an ol' '06 model.

And the mileage has been excellent.

plug_nickel

"Shopping" on line at Newegg to checkout what ifs. Just "built" a main board with AMD II, ram, 5870 and a couple of different mobo's for $745/780 excluding final rebates from mfg's. AMD has really cut some prices on extremely good componets. "Bang for the buck" to say the least.

plug_nickel

Edited by almccoyjr

Depends on what you want to spend. I have had both. They both have their good and bad points. But AMD / ATI can more cost effective. Intel / Nvidia, a lot more money, but from past experience, a lot less tweaking and fiddling with things.

That's been my experience anyways.

Although from what i have been seeing, AMD is getting more and more solid in what they offer to reduce the fiddling part compared to 5 to 10 years ago. I used to have to set each game up with an individual set of settings for the processor and gpu, since what would work with one game, would cause anomolies in another, or even crash the game, or give the dreaded BSOD. But from what I have been reading lately, that has dropped dramatically from what it used to be.

The last rig I built, I decided to go with Intel, and Nvidia. Yeah, it cost more, but Intel has come a long way too in giving the user more control over how the cpu works where it was almost impossible before, unless you were a hardware and software engineer.

So really, it depends on what someone is looking for, that is the deciding factor, aside from their knowledge of computers in both hardware and software. And with the way things are changing, it's almost impossible to keep up with what's new unless you visit the tech sites at least once a week.

Best thing, is figure out what you want out of your new rig, and compare components, i.e., quality, strengths, and weaknesses, longevity expectancy of the components, and the price, along with things like upgradeability of things like motherboard.

One suggestion though, I would make sure to get a case with lots of fans! Also, depending on how powerful of a rig you want to make, I would really suggest thinking of a water cooled system if you really want a powerhouse rig that dims the neighborhood lights everytime you switch it on. Even with the rig I built 3 years ago, and it being winter in the north, if I close my door to my room, and the room temp is 68 to 70, within 2 hours, it will be 75 to 77 degrees in my room. And i built a modest top end rig then. So as things get more powerful, the need to disipate heat becomes more, and more apparent to keep things from burning up.

Just my 2 cents.

Even more good advice from ConradB...man this place is remarkable.

Al, I went immediately to the site you suggested, and will fervently pursue knowledge - thanks :) Of course, I have two brand-new SSDs to add to my existing RAID array, been here almost two weeks now, still 'new in box'. I remember when I'd bring new hardware home after work, and spend all night getting it installed and tested...I guess those days are gone forever (darn it).

Last weekend I got 3 machines deposited on me by friends and family; viruses, HW problems...*sigh*. Oh, and then - a leak in my basement roof...

...so I might be a while getting back tot he overclocking thing *lol* But I definitely appreciate the help!