Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

Very frustated, I kept crashing when loading mission!

I don't know what the heck is going on, each time I start quick mission or do quick flight, it never load any mission. all screen was all black and refuse to load anything and said that Strike Fighter 2 stopped working. I reinstalled SF2 from stretch completely, and moved modded SF2 out of way, and have SF2 creating new SF2 folder. I still got same result. I rebooted my window and yet still same problem. I tested other games and simulator, I am not having problem with all of these, except SF2.

This is what my system is using:

Window 7 64 bit

Intel !7 975 3.33 Ghz

12 GB DDR3 Corsair RAM

Dual ATI HD 5970 (Crossfire enabled)

X-FI Sound blast card

I am wondering if anyone had same problem before? I did some searching and is not able to find any good solution to my issues. Any advices about solving my problem will be great help. I spend all day troubleshooting my problems with SF2 and is all stumped now. And oh one more thing, I have SF2 combo (merged) with Expansion pack #1 and #2, with latest expansion pack #2 patch installed. This problem appeared right after I followed this steps exactly for unlocking AI only F-104G and CF-104s.

Chaoic out...

Edited by Eagle114th

I forgot to add, I installed cockpits and other files from this link http://combatace.com/topic/57393-flyable-f-104s-for-sf2/ for CF-104s and F-104s. However, I highly doubt that this is causes of it. I ran through device manager to see if there is any hardware failure, but yet it tells me that every hardware is working properly. I also ran cclean to wipe any temporarily files in window and yet still same problems. I am stumped by this problem now, and I am wondering if anyone had same problems before.

Chaoic out..

hello Eagle 114th,

so your game is running fine unless you mod it to fly the F-104, right?

In the affirmative, could you please describe what exactly you are doing to make them flyable?

hello Eagle 114th,

so your game is running fine unless you mod it to fly the F-104, right?

In the affirmative, could you please describe what exactly you are doing to make them flyable?

What I did, as instructed by Wrench:

1) Download TK F-104G for Strike Fighter Gold from this link: http://combatace.com/files/file/1485-f-104g/

2) made a copy of SF2.exe and rename it as SFG.exe, and keep it away from SF2 folder and any other folder related to SF2.

3) Run installation and then grab cockpit, F-104G_Cockpit.ini, and F-104G_Avionics.ini from F-104G folder and erase the rest of folder and files.

4) moved them into SF2 CF-104s and F-104Gs and updated their .ini to adapt these cockpits.

5) Installed Batman78's excellent hi-res F-104G cockpit textures from this link: http://combatace.com/files/file/1707-f-104g-high-resolution-cockpit/

6) Ran SF2 and ran into serious problems. I also removed modded SF2 folder and tested a fresh SF2 after complete refresh re installation, and yet still same problems, even without mods folders.

Chaoic out...

If the game is still a mess after a fresh reinstall, there may something wrong left in your register.

In such case, I usually uninstall the affected game with a comprehensive tool, like Revo Uninstaller (Free Version), that really uninstall things from my computer.

By the way, there are flyable F-104G in NATO Fighters IV too (with the TK's cockpit), so installing it may save you from playing with the exe and give a much improved game in the whole.

Edited by FrankD

You are installing them into the proper folders, right?

FrankD,

I will try that and it'll take me a while to reinstall all again but it is worth it.

Fubar512,

Yes that is correct, I installed SF2 into this direction:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2

Chaoic out...

In his tutorial, Wrench forgot to mention to keep the two .bmp files, F-104G_Hangar and F-104G_Loadout, as they are not in the game by default.

If, for any reason, you don't want to install NATO Fighters IV, here is a mini mod to make the F-104G flyable.

It does contain the needed files by TK and Batman78's mod (pit textures, seat, screens, AB sound), so all credits go to their authors.

Simply decompress the archive in a temporary folder, then cut and paste the sub folders (Objects,OriginalReadme and Sounds) in your mod folder.

(File Size: 7.31 MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nemwjoob2mb776z/F-104G_flyable_SF2.7z

FrankD,

I will try that and it'll take me a while to reinstall all again but it is worth it.

Fubar512,

Yes that is correct, I installed SF2 into this direction:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2

Chaoic out...

I meant, what directory did you install the modded F-104 files into?

I meant, what directory did you install the modded F-104 files into?

C:\Users\David Salazar\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft\ >>> Into CF-104s and F-104s folders.

In his tutorial, Wrench forgot to mention to keep the two .bmp files, F-104G_Hangar and F-104G_Loadout, as they are not in the game by default.

If, for any reason, you don't want to install NATO Fighters IV, here is a mini mod to make the F-104G flyable.

It does contain the needed files by TK and Batman78's mod (pit textures, seat, screens, AB sound), so all credits go to their authors.

Simply decompress the archive in a temporary folder, then cut and paste the sub folders (Objects,OriginalReadme and Sounds) in your mod folder.

(File Size: 7.31 MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nemwjoob2mb776z/F-104G_flyable_SF2.7z

I will look into NATO Fighter, I was planning on downloading these great NATO fighter package for SF2 after I prepare my SF2 fully with all unlocked AI only aircraft and tweaking SF2. Thank you very much for trying to help me with my problem. I also thank Fubar512 for same reasons.

:salute:

Chaoic out...

Edited by Eagle114th

C:\Users\David Salazar\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft\ >>> Into CF-104s and F-104s folders.

Well, that's the correct path. However, even if one makes an error editing the F-104.ini files, the game shouldn't crash...the F-104 variants would simply not show as one of the player's aircraft choices.

Well, that's the correct path. However, even if one makes an error editing the F-104.ini files, the game shouldn't crash...the F-104 variants would simply not show as one of the player's aircraft choices.

This is exactly why I am stumped. I am going to completely uninstall SF2, clean registry using cclean, and then reboot. After that, I will re-install SF2 again (combo merged), with expansion pack 1 and 2, then patch (groan here comes long installing time again). Then I will cross my fingers and hope they work this time.

Chaoic out...

Everyone, I have great news, it look like I am able to run SF2, even without reinstalling them completely. What I did was:

1) Cleaned everything using CClean (explorer, firefox, window temporarily files)

2) Cleaned registry using CClean

3) Ran Avast! all night, but yet no virus found

4) Ran spyware and malware scanner, found several of them, erased them

5) I didn't touch my ATI driver, my driver is still 10.11 and I am not going anywhere until the latest driver are very stable. I am so tired and sick of constant problem updating ATI driver, their driver and software are known to be very problemic so I'll wait until they release fully stable driver/software. For now I am quite happy with my current CCC (from 10.8) and driver (10.11).

6) It appear that my sound driver is VERY old, so I updated them

Now suddenly, I am able to load my SF2 into mission completely!

:)

Chaoic out...

Great news Eagle114th! yess.gif

Enjoy your flight and have fun mate!

Yes and I can finally resume studying about making afterburner and afterburner node (using effects instead of LOD). I have installed custom afterburner, re-sized it, and position it right where it come out straight from Sr-71 engine exhaust (for Sr-71 Add-on mod) and it came out great! Here is screenshot:

img00625d.jpg

img00624k.jpg

img00623.jpg

And now I am going to see if I can learn how to create my own afterburner with my own PS element program, then start creating it, where I can make new afterburners for both default SF2 aircraft and add-on aircraft. I also would like to start working on replacing vapor cloud from hard turning with new, improved version too. And finally, I want to experiment and see if I could manage to enable afterburner to 'glow' more intense and change color at night. I have different theories about how it 'could' work but we will see.

;)

Chaoic out...

Thank you, and I created my first 'Afterburner Effect Improvement " thread at SF2 modding section, please check them out. I also am asking questions from experienced modders about which software is best to use for effect and texture modding for SF2.

Here is link to my thread:

http://combatace.com/topic/62567-afterburner-effect-improvement/

Chaoic out...