Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

Rudder pedals when dogfighting?

I dont own any rudder pedals but I am thinking of getting some. Im not a real pilot either so i dont really know how any of this would be applied. For ages ive been only using a joystick. Well on my X52 i can use the joystick as a rudder but its not really ideal when dogfighting.

Do real pilots use the rudder when in a fast dogfight. What would the advantage be over not using it and just relying on elevators and ailerons like I have been doing for ages.

Thank you!

How are you turning F-4 around without the rudder?

How are you turning F-4 around without the rudder?

Maybe that's why I suck in the F-4 and avoid it at all cost :boredom:

Yeah, some of the planes with a lot of adverse yaw require rudder otherwise you can't turn. I don't know which ones off hand apart from the F-4 which is famous for it, as I've got rudder mapped to twist on the stick so do it without thinking. Seems to me that a lot of '60s planes will need rudder to dogfight.

Well.........if we are gonna spend time and energy pretending to fly planes......(like we do :grin: ) then it seems to me that the first and formost part of the simulation should be putting the controlls in the right place, having rudders pedals is another one of those things that you can get buy without them.........until you get a chance to fly for a while with them, then you need them..........my advise on pedals is the same as the advise I gave you on TIR :drinks: ....don't wait........

Actually if you asked me which one to get first.....I would have said pedals.........

I love my CH pedals........but if I was looking at a new set I would be looking very closely at the new ones from Saitek, they look spectacular :cool:

I dont own any rudder pedals but I am thinking of getting some. Im not a real pilot either so i dont really know how any of this would be applied. For ages ive been only using a joystick. Well on my X52 i can use the joystick as a rudder but its not really ideal when dogfighting.

Do real pilots use the rudder when in a fast dogfight. What would the advantage be over not using it and just relying on elevators and ailerons like I have been doing for ages.

Thank you!

Yeah they do help in turning.

Also:

-Increase your roll rate like if you need to split S quickly turn around

-AIMING for firing the cannon, last minute corrections to get that final bullet in :)

I have simped rudder pedals, only a small company but very nice and wide, very smooth.