Sign in to follow this  

Hello modders,

from your experience, when action, be it a mission or a campaign, takes place in a limited portion of a terrain, to improve performance, particularly cutting down the loading time, does it worth to delete unused, not even seen, target areas and ground objects?

Thanks for your attention.

On average no since most of my missions are just my own so I don't mess with anything. Besides I think the majority of terrain mods center around campaigns versus a mission you upload. So no I don't as the engine doesn't spawn everything (at least that's what my understanding is) around the whole map anyways.

Thanks for your input EriCJ.

(...)as the engine doesn't spawn everything (at least that's what my understanding is) around the whole map anyways.

That's exactly the keystone of the whole concept, as if the "resource preservation" is already done by the engine, there's no need to manually force it.

Would anybody know it for sure?

yes, things NOT in the area to be flow over, will not be added.

HOWEVER..this is a small caveat:

terrain objects (as opposed to ground objects) will always be there, as they're automatically pulled from the terrain cat. Terrain objects are defined as, for the most part, buildings and such. (the various city buildings, generators, evil-damn-commbuildings, warehouses, etc. Anything that is NOT in the GroundObject folder, but in the terrain folder or pulled for a cat).

Ground objects have a 50km radius at which they spawn/despawn. So, no real worries with them (I've actually watched it happen!)

Overall, it's simply not worth any extra effort to remove target areas; the drain on system rescources from the terrain objects is minimal.

wrench

kevin stein

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Wrench, it's invaluable, as always.

Not removing things also keep a door open for the further development of the story without having to reinject the then missing parts.

Best regards to you both.