Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

FS9 - green lakes vs blue lakes

Hi all,

I enjoyed a nice weekend in Tahoe over the last 3 days, so as I was sitting on the couch last night letting my body recover, I fired up FS9 to explore the area "from the air".

The first flight I set up out of Lake Tahoe airport was set to noon, winter, and fair weather. As I took off, I noticed that the color of Lake Tahoe in game is a nasty "lake green", not a brilliant blue like the real-life lake. Because I was playing using my keyboard, I promptly crashed and had to restart the flight. Same settings, but this time the lake was blue. After I crashed again (why didn't I get my joystick out?), I restarted and the lake was green again. On a couple following the flights, the lake remained green.

There is a resivour right near my house (Crystal Springs) that is always a nice dark blue, and I remember it appearing blue in FS9 before. However, last night, I set up a flight and it was that nasty lake-green. Now that I think about it, since I've had FS9 over the last year, I think I've seen lakes show up as both blue and green. Over that time, I've also experiemented with different addons.

Does anyone know what determines weather a lake shows up as blue or green? Is it dictated by landclass? Weather? Season?

Here are the addons I have installed:

Ground Environment Pro

Real Environment Pro

Active Sky 6

Ultimate Terrain USA

FS Genesis USA Landclass (above UT in my scenery library)

Megascenery San Francisco (does cover Crystal Springs, but haven't had an issue in the past)

Megascenery Nor Cal (does not cover lake tahoe)

Thanks!

Hey Malibu43,

My suggestion for getting your water looking good is a combination of two mods together......to improve the colours install 'perfect water' from here http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-14742.html ......after you install that then install 'Vilk's Vater' over top of it http://www.fs-freeflow.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=100 this adds reflections and textures to the surface.

I have tried lots of water upgrades for FS9 and this combination works really well.

Good luck

Romflyer

I'm curious to see if you like it, so please let me know.

Cheers

Rom

Perfect Water is visually great, however I got talked into using Vista Oz a couple of years ago, I do most of my flying in Papua New Guinea and various river regions in South America. VOZ changes the river ways to muddy brown-brownish green which looks good at all altitudes. Also changes the vegetation and ground colors. Best part is that you can switch between the 4 VOZ zones and default so anything you added before VOZ will still show like Perfect Water.

VOZ looks awesome and if I hadnt shelled out for Ground Environment Pro then I'd be using it too.....I suggested perfect water just to help with the water colours, but the real gem is actually Vilk's Vater, it adds texture and reflections to the surface that are better then any others I've seen for FS9, and I'm sure it would compliment VOZ as well.

Edited by romflyer