Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"In the Footsteps of the Red Baron" (O'Connor - Franks)

Searching for "Chateau de Bethune" or "Marckebeke Chateau" (wanted to know how MvR's headquarter looked),

I came across this book, which was said to contain a photo of that place.

I haven't found a picture in the web so far.

Does anyone have a picture of the place?

And can anyone recommend this book?

They're not terribly informative photographs, Olham, two of the rear steps and one aerial shot. The photograph of the chateau at Cappy is much better. However I heartily recommend the books and indeed all of Mike O'Connor's 'Airfields and Airmen' books too.

Searching for "Chateau de Bethune" or "Marckebeke Chateau" (wanted to know how MvR's headquarter looked),

I came across this book, which was said to contain a photo of that place.

I haven't found a picture in the web so far.

Does anyone have a picture of the place?

And can anyone recommend this book?

Hallo mein freund!

ItFoftRB is part of Mike O'Connor's Airfields and Airmen series for Battleground Europe. They are small, but packed with info - they were of great use to us in spotting the aerodromes On Flanders Fields. I think you are looking for one structure - the Chateau de Bethune, and yes, there are three photos of it: a modern aerial, and a then and now, the then with MvR on the back steps, and one as those same steps look now. This book covers much of the same ground as the area books in the series, so if one has all the others, there is some redundancy, but it it still a great little book nonetheless.

Cheers,

shredward

Edited by shredward

To paraphrase my friend Mike Westrop, exasperated after a certain author published yet another book with MvR's name on it, after that same author had already written a shelf-full:

MvR did not die of lead poisoning - he was milked to death.

Cheers,

shredward

Haha - at least that's what he would have died from, if he hadn't chosen the quicker way.

Thank you, Dej and Shredward.

Hello Olham,

Here`s a picture for you of Chateau Marckebecke. I'm not 100 % sure but i think the HQ wasn't in the Chateau but in a House in Markebekestraat. I visited the place last Year in May and talked to the baroness and the baron bethune. Very nice people. On my Tour last year i've visited all aerodromes of MvR (Jasta2 and Jasta11). I own the book "in the footsteps ..." and it helped me to plan my Tour. It's worth to buy.

I've made too a HD film of the Jasta11 aerodromes and some pictures. PM me your e-mail and we can get in touch.

Grüße aus Mannheim.

vschoell

post-17211-0-49867900-1299710197.jpg

Will do, vschoell! Thanks for the info. Book is already ordered.