Had a total nightmare mission in an F4 on the Desert terrain. Managed to get the tail fin shot off over target, fought on downed some enemy then flew back manually in real time nursing the plane back to base. It took ages and with force feedback I had an aching arm to boot. BUT, whenever the mission report came up apparently I died over the target!? Never made it back!? Gutted.

post-12086-0-15351200-1299615245.jpg

post-12086-0-86928600-1299615284.jpg

post-12086-0-12435700-1299615305.jpg

post-12086-0-48769900-1299615324.jpg

post-12086-0-30515600-1299615392.jpg

Now that just blows.

Even worse than flying a more than perfectmission in terms of kills just to be killed off by that "one more enemy fighter". :/

I am wondering it it was a bug... or if TK modeled pilot wounds, and yours was fatally wounded?

Upon further review of your logs... clearly a bug since it declared you were shot down.

I could be curious to know which direction the bug went:

You should have been killed/shot down, but it let you keep flying,

or you were not shot down, but it erroneously declared you to be shot down.

Edited by streakeagle

I get this all the time - you go steaming around the sky upsetting the unwashed, and when you get to the end of the mission, instead of finding yourself welcomed back by crowds of enthusiastic young maidens grateful for your saving them from a fate worse than death at the hands of the barbarian hordes, you find that you actually have no wings left and in fact died half an hour earlier. I know that in some life-forms it can take a while before all the various bits realise that the bit in the middle has stopped telling them what to do and they can stop waggling round, but in human beings I understand that it's quite quick. Especially when you have no wings any longer. Thoroughly frustrating, especially when you're still waving the bits around thinking you're alive... I wonder what happens to the evil ones you kill after you're actually dead. Do they really die too, or do they continue to fly around like undead AIs in some strange Strike Fighters twilight world, peopled by Mig-21s and Phantoms with wings missing?

Edited by ndicki

Seriously, though - might it have some connection to your realism settings? Things set to easy which want to be set to hard? Most of my weapons and fuel settings are easy, but the rest are either normal or hard. Collision and take-off/landing I have at hard, in any case.