Sign in to follow this  
AGOSTINO

TerrainMesh settings, in the xxxterrains_data.ini?

Controlling all the STOCKTERRAINS_DATA.ini (GermanyCE, Desert, IsraelME and VietnamSEA), I noticed that the settings for [TerrainMesh], are these:

[TerrainMesh]

TextureThreshold=0.80

LowDetailMeshThreshold=0.50

MedDetailMeshThreshold=0.30

TileToHeightGridRatio=4

RenderMeshVertexCount=4096

RenderMeshIndexCount=16384

SolidObjectVertexCount=12288

SolidObjectIndexCount=18432

AlphaObjectVertexCount=8192

AlphaObjectIndexCount=12288

Now, many different SF2 Series Add On Terrains, have these different settings!!

Why these settings are different?? :dntknw: On the basis of what are assigned these values?? :blink:

For TOD objects; trees and buildings, require a higher SolidObject and AlphaObject count (AFAIK)

wrench

kevin stein

true Kevin,

this sets the number of maximum number of TOD objects indexed by the terrain engine, in most of my terrainmods (those with dense trees coverage) I tend to higher these values to have more trees rendered both per tile and on screen -if the limit is reached, terain editor cuts down the number of TOD objects loaded and displayed.

Generally, SolidObjects are those "autogen" indestructable houses (solid=not using alpha channel to render their transparency, usually bitmaps), while AlphaObjects are the trees (Alpha=utilising alpha channel to set transparency of texels, targa files) (with some exceptions in some mods, several of mine aswell as Jan Tuma's FE one uses in fact alpha-channel for houses to achieve more "complex" shapes)

TileToHeightGridRatio=4 -means single tile (in SF series) covers 4x4 grid of terrain mesh -2000x2000 meters in lenght tile has in it 16x 500x500 meters lenght mesh resolution, I think I DONT make myself clear here..?

TileToHeightGridRatio=

When you fire up TE and click File > New , you get a New Terrain Dialogue box asking for...

Texture Tile Resolution

Height Field Resolution

The grid ratio is the ratio of those two: (Texture Tile Resolution / Height Field Resolution).

However, the grid ratio must be pre-defined in the terrain editor ini file before running TE. Alternatively, it can be manually changed later in the generated terrain data file. Its in the [TerrainMesh] block in both cases.

The defined grid ratio must match the ratio (Texture Tile Resolution / Height Field Resolution) used in setting up a new terrain in TE. If they don't match, corruption weirdness results in the terrain elevation.

For TOD objects; trees and buildings, require a higher SolidObject and AlphaObject count (AFAIK)

wrench

kevin stein

true Kevin,

this sets the number of maximum number of TOD objects indexed by the terrain engine, in most of my terrainmods (those with dense trees coverage) I tend to higher these values to have more trees rendered both per tile and on screen -if the limit is reached, terain editor cuts down the number of TOD objects loaded and displayed.

Generally, SolidObjects are those "autogen" indestructable houses (solid=not using alpha channel to render their transparency, usually bitmaps), while AlphaObjects are the trees (Alpha=utilising alpha channel to set transparency of texels, targa files) (with some exceptions in some mods, several of mine aswell as Jan Tuma's FE one uses in fact alpha-channel for houses to achieve more "complex" shapes)

TileToHeightGridRatio=4 -means single tile (in SF series) covers 4x4 grid of terrain mesh -2000x2000 meters in lenght tile has in it 16x 500x500 meters lenght mesh resolution, I think I DONT make myself clear here..?

TileToHeightGridRatio=

When you fire up TE and click File > New , you get a New Terrain Dialogue box asking for...

Texture Tile Resolution

Height Field Resolution

The grid ratio is the ratio of those two: (Texture Tile Resolution / Height Field Resolution).

However, the grid ratio must be pre-defined in the terrain editor ini file before running TE. Alternatively, it can be manually changed later in the generated terrain data file. Its in the [TerrainMesh] block in both cases.

The defined grid ratio must match the ratio (Texture Tile Resolution / Height Field Resolution) used in setting up a new terrain in TE. If they don't match, corruption weirdness results in the terrain elevation.

Well, thanks to all of you!!! :clapping:

And with regard to:

RenderMeshVertexCount = :dntknw:

and

RenderMeshIndexCount = :blink:

it's for terrain heightmap, might have use for higher resolution (less than 500meters DEM) terrains (aplly to FE/FE2 sims)

it's for terrain heightmap, might have use for higher resolution (less than 500meters DEM) terrains (aplly to FE/FE2 sims)

Now it is all clear, thank you immensely!!!! :drinks: