Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

Lewie's Albatross image thread

Since I brought it up, and I've accepted the consequences of doing so, I'm posting images, probably not worthy of desktop use of the other types of Albatross aircraft from WWI.

here's two from the online sim Richthofen's Skies.

An Albatross B II the Great Apple Barge, and the early series of the rather impressive CVII Albatross two seaters..

post-65486-0-24968400-1300398457.jpg

post-65486-0-27230800-1300398470.jpg

Perhaps you don't know this site yet, Lewie - here are some great two-seater picks.

http://www.earlyaero...om/archive1.htm

Here is an Albatros C.V

No I've known about that image site for a few years, it's a great resource.

Found a good image on Rosebud's of the Doppletaube .. I'm definately going to make this for the SDOE pre-WWI mod I'm working on..

ALBx2taube.jpg

Were not Taube planes still used in the early days of WW1?

Were not Taube planes still used in the early days of WW1?

Yes The Rumpler Monoplane Taubes were used for the "4 o'clock bombings" of Paris in fall of 1914. Apparently some people would come out and bet on whether anything of worth would be hit. I think the MASH episode called "5 oclock Charlie" borrowed from this true story.

OK this isn't an Albatross, but it is the 1910 father of all ultralight aircraft. The 1910 Hans Grade Eindekker

GradeMono1910.jpg

(The beautiful) Albatros C.III (Li) 5403/17. (Hey, Devs, hint, hint...)

AlbatrosCIII5403-17FlzBild-AL23.jpg

Jasta 5's Hans von Hippel's Albatros D.Va 5639/17. Interestingly, it had green/mauve wings with blue undersurfaces, save for the undersurface of the upper wing which had 5-color irregular polygon fabric, although the ailerons were blue. Note the smoothness of the ailerons and the Nicht auftreten placard on the lower wing (they were usually on both wings but the fuselage blocks view of the port placard), which doesn't appear in many photographs due to its location on Albatros planes. Also, if you look closely you'll see the manufacture and Idflieg plates on the leading edges of the lower wings, just ahead of the interplane struts. This shot is a little grainy so they appear as dark rectangles here. (I'll find a better shot of them and post.)

Jasta5vonHippelsAlbatrosDVa5639-17.jpg

Okay, popular image of an unarmed Albatros D.III that better shows the manufacture/Idflieg plates on the leading edges of the lower wings, as well as the Nicht auftreten placard on both sides.

AlbDIIIfront.jpg

And, Lewie, respectfully, Albatros is spelled with one s. Please forgive me; I know it's pedantic of me to say but I'm just trying to be informative.

Wonderful photos, JFM! Especially, as the wings are rarely ever shown from this angle close on.

And, Lewie, respectfully, Albatros is spelled with one s. Please forgive me; I know it's pedantic of me to say but I'm just trying to be informative.

No problem, it's a small bad typing habit, like using "e' in hangar.

Great pictures, the front shot shows the gentle washout in both the top and bottom wings nicely.

Edited by Lewie

Jasta 5 goodness, Albatros D.III 2225/16. Note the extra cowl vents:

D2225_16.jpg

Grainy, but fantastic nevertheless.

Jeeze, the pilot is sitting so high up - he was either very tall, or he must be sitting on a cushion???

A wonderfule photography, Jim. Who was it's pilot?

Jeeze, the pilot is sitting so high up - he was either very tall, or he must be sitting on a cushion???

As a pilot, I would want my eyes level with the top wing ... that position maximizes your field of view as the top wing appears only as a thin profile an blocks less of the sky.

I often try to do this is in OFF by adjusting my centrepoint in TrackIR.

That's right, Scout, but he is sitting higher than his windscreen then. May be the reason for his thick mummery?

The thick mummery is because it is cold at altitude, even in summer!

Pilot is unknown for sure but that plane in those markings was often flown by Ltn. Strobel.

Strange, that it is not known - that Bavarian checker must be a very personal marking.

A few pilots flew that plane. Strobel is the one who added the Bavarian markings. Still, can't say definitively that is him in the cockpit because the plane could be flown by others and the face cannot be seen.

Wow, thanks, Major! I didn't know this flying Albatros yet!

As a pilot, I would want my eyes level with the top wing ... that position maximizes your field of view as the top wing appears only as a thin profile an blocks less of the sky.

I often try to do this is in OFF by adjusting my centrepoint in TrackIR.

And there was me thinking I was the only person to do this! :good:

The old stagers, eyh?