Sign in to follow this  
Ngr

LIFT for Poland

What do you think the class LIFT model airplane should select Polish Air Forces?

You can choose from planes:

-KAI T-50 Golden Eagle

-Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master

-BAE Hawk (ex finnish 51)

-BAE Hawk (new T Mk 2)

-Aero Vodochody L-159T1 Albatros

The T-50 is probably the best, but I think it's also the most expensive. It's an F-16-lite.

As such, I can't really say if it's the best fit for Poland's needs or not. I believe they have 2-seat F-16s anyway, so a trainer that is almost the same seems a bit redundant. However, if it's even easier to fly it might be the best idea.

The Hawk has been around for a long time and has long since proven itself. It's certainly a safe bet. I suppose they could pick the M-346 or L-159, but I don't feel it.

There's also the political angle to this. The only one with any US involvement is the T-50, the others are all Euro designs.

The idea of a dedicated LIFT trainer is to teach the basics of BFM without the expense of a trainer version of the front line fighter such as a F-16 or MiG-29.

It would really depend on how their basic pilot training structure is setup. If they get a significant amount of BFM training in basic pilot training, they may not need a dedicated LIFT trainer (the USN does it this way). If they only get the very basics in pilot training, then they may need a LIFT program (the USAF does it this way).

Also, you may be able to use your LIFT aircraft for basic flying training, in which case, increased cost is offset by increased utility.

The political angle is an important one...Poland is using F-16s, and a lot of their senior cadre of pilots went through Western training/trainers during integration (T-38 PIT/IFF, F-16 RTU). So that may lean them toward something like the T-50, in that we are looking at it for replacement of our T-38 fleet, and it shares common design philosophies with the F-16.

FC

The czech ALCA L-159 Albatros would be my choice. Its the successor of the L-39. Its very reliable, has excellent flight caracterisics. Is a plane which can be handled very well by trainees. The cockpitdesign and th electronics are orientated on the F-16, so that polish pilots would have no problems to switch from L-159 to F-16.

The czech have the know how to build a good trainer. :good:

The USSR wouldn't have picked a foreign design for their trainers if it wasn't. However, I know the newer Czech designs haven't enjoyed a lot of export success compared to the old 39s, and to many countries the chicken vs egg situation is very important.

"We'd like to buy it, but we see no one else has, and we aren't going to risk being the only ones other than you..."

That happened to the F-20 Tigershark 25 years ago.

I don't think Poland should buy foreign aircraft. Especially those that seem to be obsolete. EM-10 Bielik should be put into production. It's a low cost Polish military training aircraft prototype. It seems like the right choice especially when it contains stealth characteristics. Of course it should be re-modified with more modern aspects but it would seem as a good choice that the Polish people can be proud of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM-10_Bielik

wow!! Neat little plane there. Thanks Yack.