Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Aviation Art by Jerry Boucher

One of the great artists for aviation paintings I found, is Jerry Boucher.

I have here compiled some of his works, as I found them in the internet.

Who can exactly name the planes?

Edited by Olham

One of the great artists for aviation paintings I found, is Jerry Boucher.

I have here compiled some of his works, as I found them in the internet.

Who can exactly name the planes?

The first frame in the left hand upper corner is a Phonix D series, not sure which one, and quite possibly, and because of the distance, a Macchi M3 flying boat.

The second frame is a Nieuport 17 of the Escadrille Lafayette and a Aviatik CII, again hard to tell because of the distance.

The third frame is a pair of Halberstadt CLII's

The fourth frame is a bit of a strange one, not because of the Albatros CIII, but because the distant aircraft looks like a AEF SPAD, and these are two aircraft that wouldn't ecounter each other in either time frame they were used in. Or the distant aircraft might be an Eastern Front Imperial Russian Anatra two seater which would jibe better with the the time frame. That's a difficult one, as I wouldn't know which German Schlastas would be flying that particular serpent marking on the Eastern front.

I don't know my Messerschmitt's all that well, except that it ain't an Emile and I know less about Soviet WWI Bombers, ditto for the US naval jet fighter.

The Messerschmidt looks like a K model with the late Erla haube, not sure about the Soviet plane. As for the American one, looks like an A7 Corsair to me but I could be wrong.

You guys are pretty much right there. Here are the subtitles to the pictures, as I found them:

1) Phoenix D.I flown by Fiedrich Lang, fighting a Macchi M.5

2) Nieuport 17 flown by Raoul Lufberry, Lafayette Escadrille, December 1916

3) Halberstadt CL.II (Schlasta 27b)

4) Albatros C.III flown by Ltn. Erwin Böhme over the Eastern Front in 1916

5) Messerschmitt Bf109F-2; from 9./JG54, Lithuania, July 1941

6) LTV A-7E Corsair II from VA-113 'Stingers', USS Ranger, 1970

Lewie, you seem to know your WW1 aircraft well; thinking of the Eastern front and the Russian Antra seems right

itifonhom, the "Erla-Haube" was inspired by Adolf Galland, who wanted the longitudinal construction bars of the

hood slightly downbent, for a better rear-up left and right vision. It was also called "Galland-Haube".

Here is how it looked.

For what it's worth I think the Russian aircraft might be a Tupolev SB-2M-100... it has those odd looking engines. Although the fuselage seems proportionately a little long but that might be foreshortening due to the angle at which it's depicted.

It is not said, which craft that is, Dej, but I just checked your guess, and I believe you are correct there.

Boucher's work is really beautiful. Superb style and mood.

The brown Messerschmidt could be an F-Trop (with the topic sand filter).

That Finnish Bf109 has the Erla-Haube; could ba a late G-type.

The one to it's right is a Spanish one with a Hispano Suiza engine.

Those were used for the Batle of Britain film.